Nigel Pearson - Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nottingham Fox

From OS

Foxes Unveil Pearson
Leicester City are this morning delighted to announce the appointment of Nigel Pearson as their new first team manager with immediate effect.

Pearson (44) arrives at the Walkers Stadium with a wealth of experience behind him having played over 450 games as a defender for Shrewsbury Town, Sheffield Wednesday and Middlesbrough before moving into management in 1998.

Pearson enjoyed spells in charge at Carlisle United, West Brom, Newcastle United and England Under-21s before guiding Southampton to Championship safety last season.

However, his contract at St Mary's was not renewed at the end of the campaign much to the Saints fans' disappointment.

However, Nottingham-born Pearson is confident that he can help his new club gain promotion from League One at the first time of asking after the disappointment of relegation.

He said: "I am delighted that I have been given this magnificent opportunity to revitalise the fortunes of this great club after what has been a difficult few years.

"I have an enormous amount of respect for Chairman Milan Mandaric and Chief Executive Lee Hoos, who I worked very closely with at Southampton, and I can promise everyone connected with this club that I will be giving the job my 100 per cent commitment.

"I am privileged to have been given the chance to turn around the fortunes of a club with so much history and such a strong fan base, and I am confident that my style of management can help bring the good times back to Leicester City.

"From speaking to the Chairman, it is evident how much this club means to him and that's why I am determined not to let him or the supporters down.

"There has been far too much disappointment and negativity attached to this club in recent seasons and it is my job to change that.

"The infrastructure is firmly in place; it is now time to start performing consistently on the pitch and that is what I have been brought here to do.

"League One is a tough division to get out of but we will play the necessary football required to gain promotion and in the process give our magnificent fans something to cheer about," he added.

Pearson will meet up with his squad for the first time when the players report back for pre-season training on July 1.

Milans comments ... again from the OS

Mandaric Hails Pearson Arrival

Leicester City Chairman Milan Mandaric today (Friday) heralded the arrival of Nigel Pearson as "the beginning of a new era for the club".

Pearson was unveiled as City's new boss in front of a Walkers Stadium press conference on Friday morning.

And Mandaric proclaimed that Pearson's appointment would be a catalyst for better time ahead as the Foxes begin their quest for promotion.

He said: "Nigel is the right man to take this club forward. He has a great mix of experience, integrity and enthusiasm.

"I interviewed a number of good candidates, but Nigel's drive, passion and overall knowledge of the game was impossible to ignore.

"We have now got a lot of hard work ahead, but I am confident that come the start of the campaign we will have a squad in place that can make a serious assault on this division.

"The support and loyalty shown by the fans has been truly amazing. They know that they have got a massive part to play in getting this great club back on its feet again.

"We have currently got over 10,000 season ticket holders signed up for the new campaign and that is on a par to where we were this time last year. That's a fantastic achievement.

"As a club we must now instil a winning mentality once again. This club has been going nowhere for four long years, but it's time for that to change. There has been too much negativity around this place and that's something that we must eradicate.

"As a unit we can now move forward. We must all now get behind Nigel and his players make this fantastic club great once again."

Chief Executive Lee Hoos, who worked closely with Pearson during his time at Southampton, added: "Nigel is one of the most professional and enthusiastic people I have come across during my 10 years in football and I am looking forward to working with him once again.

"He inherited a very difficult situation at Southampton, but he worked tirelessly to keep that club in the Championship. After working with him at very close quarters I had no problem at all in recommending his appointment to Milan.

"It is fair to say that a few eyebrows were raised when we appointed Nigel at St Mary's, but any doubters were soon won over. The vast majority of Southampton fans were saddened to see him leave.

"But that's all in the past now. He's a fantastic man and I know he will be a huge success here.

"If I had to sum Nigel up then I'd say he's a young, driven, progressive, well-respected English manager. He's a great man-manager whose tactical nous will only benefit Leicester City."

"However, his contract at St Mary's was not renewed at the end of the campaign much to the Saints fans' disappointment."

I'd be interested to know it this is true or not.

it is now time to start performing consistently on the pitch and that is what I have been brought here to do

Excellent news - get that feckin' loam problem sorted, Nigel :038:

jeez, didn't realise Nige was from Nottingham.

Listening to him, he's def got an East Mids accent and I like it! Almost sounds Leicester (cue someone telling me that notts accent is nothing like Leics, but still sounds like it to me....) and that makes me want to support him.

Everyone should forget about past stats now, they mean nothing. Get behind the man that's now in charge and the team and above all else - STOP MOANING! (this really has nothing to do with the above paragraph, I just felt I should say how I feel!)

At least until he's lost his first few consecutive games, then you can moan all you like and I'll join you.

Right then job done so now we must get behind the new set up and stop the moaning, our club must become great once more even though it will take along while. Any news on the backroom staff,

Underwhelmed.
What happened to this list of high class Managers Mandaric said had applied ? Could it be he was lying ?
Nothing against Pearson and it's better than Gregory but excited ? Not in the slighteset,it all went on far too long and I lost interest many moons ago in the whole thing.Lets not kid ourselves he got the job because he was the only person who wanted it

Last edited:
as others have said he has the job whether we agree with it or not lets get behind him and try and win some games, i thought he came across quite well in the press conference, there were no silly jokes he seems determined and serious about the job in hand

Underwhelmed.
What happened to this list of high class Managers Mandaric said had applied ? Could it be he was lying ?
Nothing against Pearson and it's better than Gregory but excited ? Not in the slighteset,it all went on far too wrong and I lost interest many moons ago in the whole thing

FFS, get a grip. You can't expect a Sam Allardyce or a "BIG NAME MANAGER" to want to come to Div 3. We've done this to death.

We have a manager, it's done. I liked listening to the guy, I liked what he said and I think he will have the balls to give our dressing room the kick up the arse it deserves.

Go have a few pints, chill out, get over yourself and your misguided thoughts of Leicester as a "BIG NAME CLUB" and lets celebrate that this manager farce is over (for a while at least) and we're finally building for next season.

Sorry, I don't know what's up with me this morning, but for some reason I feel like saying what I feel, which I usually keep to myself!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670