On This Day.

So I had to look:

Zsolt had a decent career really. Played 20 odd games for Hungary and played for Sampdoria for a spell.

Gabor was less successful, but knocked around Hungarian leagues until his late 30’s.

Without wanting to cast aspersions, we did an awful lot of dodgy looking deals around that time.

So I had to look:

Zsolt had a decent career really. Played 20 odd games for Hungary and played for Sampdoria for a spell.

Gabor was less successful, but knocked around Hungarian leagues until his late 30’s.

Without wanting to cast aspersions, we did an awful lot of dodgy looking deals around that time.
With Milan Mandarić around? No way

Exactly. Integrity and ambition were the prevailing themes of the decade.
Can you imagine if we’d gone on some sort of ridiculous Blackpool under Holloway run when Martin Allen and Mandaric were in charge and we’d got promoted? :icon lol:

30 years since the peak Barrie Pierrepoint evening. I went along.

Sam was my year, I played against him a lot as a kid (and also with him on a fair few rep teams), he was really good. Unfortunately, injuries always seemed to come at bad times and he wasn't able to achieve what he could have done.

No, FNF was Family Night Football with lots of Americanised nonsense at reserve matches.

A crowd of 14,000 for a reserve match would be pretty spectacular now. I imagine it would probably also be by some way the record attendance for LCFC Women?

A crowd of 14,000 for a reserve match would be pretty spectacular now. I imagine it would probably also be by some way the record attendance for LCFC Women?
For better or for worse, Pierrepoint was ahead of his time. What did they charge for FNF?

It was dirt cheap. Lots of razzmatazz. I was working at the club then, the club secretary was a young guy, can’t recall his name but he was great.

They weren’t expecting an attendance anything close to that if I recall correctly and they had to open additional stands resulting in a delay to the kick off.

Ian Sylvester, that’s it - the secretary at the time who I worked for.

I went to that match.
It was weird watching the seats filling up before the standing area.
Official may be 14k but it was a lot more.
Sure Gillespie played for them that night.

FNF was a good scheme and quite popular

The attendance was close to 20k. I remember it being much higher then the declared.

I think all areas were open in the end.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4363
9Middlesbro4463