Ornamental Fish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed, if i had added fish then yes ,what ive added is a cleaning crew if you like

Nonsense! You've added a crew, in your own words. And you don't know which of the crew has caused the problem. If you had added them one at a time, just a few days apart, you would know exactly what had caused the problem.

No i didn't problem solved :038::038::038:,thanks melts :038::038::038:,ill do a 20% water change.
:icon_eek::icon_eek::icon_eek::icon_eek:

Problem nowhere near solved!!!!!!!!!

I'm just asking a few basic questions, I have no idea what's causing such a fluctuation.

Don't do a water change!!!!!

Last edited:
Melts

I've got a question for you but I am faced with a dilemma. Should I ask it in the 'Ask Melton' thread or here in the 'Ornamental Fish' thread?

Melts

I've got a question for you but I am faced with a dilemma. Should I ask it in the 'Ask Melton' thread or here in the 'Ornamental Fish' thread?
Ideally you would have asked the question I've quoted in the "Ask Melton" thread. I would have replied with "Does it regard ornamental fish?", and your answer would have dictated my answer.

I'm assuming my slightly 'fuzzy' looking water is just 'bacteria bloom' and will settle down eventualy??

I'm assuming my slightly 'fuzzy' looking water is just 'bacteria bloom' and will settle down eventualy??
Yep, and a sign of overfeeding, but the two go hand in hand. Just keep feeding to an absolute bare minimum and it should clear up in a day or two.

Yep, and a sign of overfeeding, but the two go hand in hand. Just keep feeding to an absolute bare minimum and it should clear up in a day or two.

Only fed them once and it was there before the fish even went in so hopefully it will go in a few days as you say

Nonsense! You've added a crew, in your own words. And you don't know which of the crew has caused the problem. If you had added them one at a time, just a few days apart, you would know exactly what had caused the problem.

The thing with the cleaning crew is i have added them before each time i add a new fish i always add 4 turbo snails and some hermit crabs. never had the problem ive got now.

ok :icon_redf
Problem is, Newts, if you have only introduced livestock, I'm finding it very difficult to understand what's happening. Through the process of respiration, livestock will reduce the pH. But the things you have introduced should have no effect whatsoever on the pH.

I will make some enquiries tomorrow when visiting marine dealers, I'll ask if they have any idea.

Problem is, Newts, if you have only introduced livestock, I'm finding it very difficult to understand what's happening. Through the process of respiration, livestock will reduce the pH. But the things you have introduced should have no effect whatsoever on the pH.

I will make some enquiries tomorrow when visiting marine dealers, I'll ask if they have any idea.

Thanks melts ,the last fish i added was 4 weeks ago ,im still under stocked on the fish front ,but as ive been advised to only add one fish at a time.

would it have anything to do with the coral :102:

The thing with the cleaning crew is i have added them before each time i add a new fish i always add 4 turbo snails and some hermit crabs. never had the problem ive got now.

Have you tried adding a bit of lemon juice or vinegar to the water?
That should bring the pH down a bit

Thanks melts ,the last fish i added was 4 weeks ago ,im still under stocked on the fish front ,but as ive been advised to only add one fish at a time.

No, coral is also livestock.

You can never understock a fish tank. Never make that mistake.

I can't see them being interested in opening a book on whether your fish will make it or not to be honest

Last edited:
But it won't aid stability.

Granted he'll have to be careful adding it, but if he has some baking soda on standby in case he over does it with the vinegar it's got to be worth a try.

Granted he'll have to be careful adding it, but if he has some baking soda on standby in case he over does it with the vinegar it's got to be worth a try.

:081:

Melts

Sorry for the delay. I was called away for dinner.

I've taken on board what you said in the other thread about commonsense and realised that I already know the answer to my own question. I will not therefore be asking it but instead making a general statement that ornamental fish are not ornaments but living things. I do wonder whether people should be licensed before being allowed to be responsible for such living things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669