Osbourne on Loan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: SPECULATION Osbourne on Loan

a rehash of last year's story probably?

well its in todays paper 1/3/09 so doubtful its a re print. He has only played in the UEFA and League cup games so possible.

C'mon Martin, give him to us.

Can see it being possible... gives us more options in centre mid, Pearson has changed it about a bit more recently.

But really, is it worth the money of getting him in on loan, when we're still doing well anyway and so close to promotion?

Well its in todays paper as well.

How many loan players is a club allowed?

We already have Martin/Bunn, Gilbert, Hobbs, Cleverley, Brown.

I thought 5 was the maximum you could put into the matchday 16 so how would it work with Osbourne?

Or, maybe I have my facts wrong?

Not great to get too many players in on loan,if at the end of the season they all go back to their respective clubs we could be left with a lot of holes to fill.Don't think we need anymore players in unless Howard or Fryatt get a long term injury

Think of the difference Mark Davies made.
I suspect that Cleverley was brought in for the defensive midfield role but, is not really quite as versatile as we were lead to believe. Whilst I agree that too many loans are not good, I would welcome this move.

Not great to get too many players in on loan,if at the end of the season they all go back to their respective clubs we could be left with a lot of holes to fill.Don't think we need anymore players in unless Howard or Fryatt get a long term injury

My understanding is that we are likely to take a similar approach next season and we will again be seeing a large number of loan players in our side. Loan players are cheaper than players under contract and, considering our financial position, I can't say that I am too surprised or disappointed by this.

Yes, this will result in lots of players with us for a comparatively short period of time. In one way this is similar to the Adams/Bassett era when many players were on one year contracts - but this time, they are likely to be up-and-coming players rather than has-beens.

My understanding is that we are likely to take a similar approach next season and we will again be seeing a large number of loan players in our side. Loan players are cheaper than players under contract and, considering our financial position, I can't say that I am too surprised or disappointed by this.

Yes, this will result in lots of players with us for a comparatively short period of time. In one way this is similar to the Adams/Bassett era when many players were on one year contracts - but this time, they are likely to be up-and-coming players rather than has-beens.

Also if we go up as champions we will be in a better position to 'sell' our team to the likes of Fergusson and Wenger. They will be far more likely to send their better prospects to a team that has a winning mentality. I bet Sir Alex would sooner Cleverly be with us than, let's say, Forest (haha) or any other lower end team in the Championship.

The most remarkable thing about the large number of players Nigel has brought in is that he had turned them into a really committed team - including the loan players. Bringing in players on loan gives the club a chance to really look at a player before trying to buy him. Remember how Martin Allen gave Jimmy Nielson the number one shirt without anybody ever seeing him play live - and there were others. It also can be used to bring in players of a quality you would not otherwise get - there is no way Mark Davies would have come to the Third Division otherwise.
Hopefully some of our present loanees will join us permanently; we should let the others go. I am sure Steve Walsh will have some very interesting names in his book of players who would welcome a loan to the Championship.

Getting players in on loan is better than getting old has-beens in on a big 1 year contract like we've done before.

If the players are young, then they're going to want to impress so that they get a chance at their parent clubs, or a chance of a move to another good club. If it's an older player who no longer gets a place in the first team (like Brown, or with Hendrie last season) then they are going to want to perform so that the club will sign them permanently, or someone else will see them and decide they can still do a job.

I have no problem with us loaning players in, as long as they are good. Think we can get slightly better players than we'd actually be able to sign at times as well (mainly with youngsters) as they know it's just temporary, and their parent club just wants to give them first team football usually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669