Blue Maniac

Alzheimers sufferer
Anyone else see this lot yesterday?

attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 298
I wonder if they realise the irony of hating the burkha yet concealing their own identity. Unless that was the point, I suppose.

father-ted-careful-now.jpg

Last edited:
Who is it that's protesting, and what exactly are they protesting about?

I wonder if they realise the irony of hating the burkha yet concealing their own identity. Unless that was the point, I suppose.

That is exactly the point. If people cannot enter a bank with their face hidden that should apply to everyone. There are other places such as airports where everyone's face should be visible.

The idea of it being about freedom is ironic; Christianity and Islam have a long history of killing people who disagreed with their opinions. My experience is that Muslim male students had no problem telling Moslem girls that they were "not a proper Muslim" if they did not wear a burka. My experience is also that non Muslims who defend Islam also claim to believe in feminism and gay rights; a contradiction which seems to me quite baffling.

I do not know the agenda of the people protesting and racists like the EDL and BNP give a bad name to what is a valid point of view. If people choose to have religious opinions that is their right; society should not be expected to adapt to those opinions whether Muslim Christian or Atheist.

If people cannot enter a bank with their face hidden that should apply to everyone.

To be fair, it only needs to apply to people planning on robbing the bank. Maybe if bankers designed a simple pre-entry questionnaire instead of lining their pockets everyone would be happier?

My experience is that Muslim male students had no problem telling Moslem girls that they were "not a proper Muslim" if they did not wear a burka.
Although, a burka has nothing whatever to do with Islam. The wearing of them is a cultural practice, not a religious one.

To be fair, it only needs to apply to people planning on robbing the bank. Maybe if bankers designed a simple pre-entry questionnaire instead of lining their pockets everyone would be happier?
Or maybe it should be made a requirement to have your face concealed when entering a bank. That way it'd be a level playing field and it'd definitely be more fitting for the bank staff to be wearing masks

Or maybe it should be made a requirement to have your face concealed when entering a bank. That way it'd be a level playing field and it'd definitely be more fitting for the bank staff to be wearing masks

All employees of Little Chef should also be made to wear a black and white striped top and a mask, the bastards

That is exactly the point. If people cannot enter a bank with their face hidden that should apply to everyone. There are other places such as airports where everyone's face should be visible.

The idea of it being about freedom is ironic; Christianity and Islam have a long history of killing people who disagreed with their opinions. My experience is that Muslim male students had no problem telling Moslem girls that they were "not a proper Muslim" if they did not wear a burka. My experience is also that non Muslims who defend Islam also claim to believe in feminism and gay rights; a contradiction which seems to me quite baffling.

I do not know the agenda of the people protesting and racists like the EDL and BNP give a bad name to what is a valid point of view. If people choose to have religious opinions that is their right; society should not be expected to adapt to those opinions whether Muslim Christian or Atheist.
Interesting choice of words at the end there David. There's no such thing as an 'atheist opinion', because 'atheism' isn't a religion. It's a lack of a belief in deities. No two atheists are exactly the same (this may not be true, but that doesn't need explaining here). That said, as you allude to, support for feminism and gay rights is more compatible with non-religion than it is with any religion, so you'll find that pro-equality people are often also people who don't believe.

Macky whose views are always interesting points out that wearing the burka is cultural. But all religion is cultural. No baby is born believing that the bread and the wine are the body and blood of Christ or that he should bow to Mecca or in reincarnation. These views come from the culture in which they are brought up. A new-born baby is no more a Muslim or a Christian than he is Labour or Conservative.

Interesting choice of words at the end there David. There's no such thing as an 'atheist opinion', .

Surely atheists hold the opinion that religious people are suffering from what Professor Dawkins calls "the God delusion".

I would have thought that most atheists hold the opinion
that everything in the universe is explainable by science rather than the supernatural although that science may be far more complex than humans can understand.
that when you die that is the end - you do not end up in Heaven with those Catholic saints a number of whom were so honoured for promoting the murder of Jews. Nor will they end up in Hell with Messalina Cleopatra and Helen of Troy.

To me this is better than believing in God -especially a loving God. My little sister died of leukaemia at the age of six. The conventional religious explanation for that horror is that God created a perfect world and man ruined it through original sin. If a child dies from a terrorist bomb or a car accident the religious can say that man invented bombs or cars though this seems a horrible answer but how can man be responsible for leukemia.

All over Italy there are wonderful churches built to thank God for ending plagues; I have been too polite to ask Italian hosts why a loving God would create plague in the first place.

Macky whose views are always interesting points out that wearing the burka is cultural. But all religion is cultural. No baby is born believing that the bread and the wine are the body and blood of Christ or that he should bow to Mecca or in reincarnation. These views come from the culture in which they are brought up. A new-born baby is no more a Muslim or a Christian than he is Labour or Conservative.

Yes, but my point was that the wearing of burka is no more of an Islamic requirement than the wearing of denim jeans is a requirement for Christians to wear. Neither statements are true and both are worn as a result of cultural norms, nothing more.

Surely atheists hold the opinion that religious people are suffering from what Professor Dawkins calls "the God delusion".

I would have thought that most atheists hold the opinion
that everything in the universe is explainable by science rather than the supernatural although that science may be far more complex than humans can understand.
that when you die that is the end - you do not end up in Heaven with those Catholic saints a number of whom were so honoured for promoting the murder of Jews. Nor will they end up in Hell with Messalina Cleopatra and Helen of Troy.

Atheists may, or may not, hold those opinions. The point, I believe, that BM was making is that the only thing that is consistent among atheists is a lack of belief in the theist proposition that a god or gods exist. Nothing more, nothing less.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670