Patrick van aanholt

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's better left backs out there for us to look at in my opinion. Good going forwards but is no where near as defensively sound as Cunningham or Berner was a year or two ago.

No great loss. Obviously doesn't mean we won't get him on loan but it's pretty clear what his intentions are now and in my opinion it's not worth pursuing that avenue. We've got Bruno at the minute, Cunningham was better and may still be available (?) and failing that there are no doubt plenty of other left backs out there that are up to the job.

But I'd agree with the general consensus, good going forward but not so good at the back.

So was Ashley Cole at his age. They obviously see him as the long term replacement.

that's funny, I seem to remember Ashley Cole going on loan to Palace when he was 20 and being brilliant, with some fans naming him *regettably* as player of the season

Good player Clyne. Bit disrespectful that is.
Is it really though? Is it not a bit much to expect of a player to cut into what may be a family holiday, at what may be an inconvenient time, with a small chance that he may not be able to fly back out again what with the latest ash cloud panic, just to collect a trinket and mingle with a group of half-pissed fans? Maybe Clyne, as a young lad in the early stages of his career, hasn't got a spare few grand to fly all over Europe to put on fake smiles for the very people who will boo, swear and spit at him the moment he wants to further his career. Maybe he wants a break after an emotionally and physically draining, and ultimately crap and disappointing, season. Maybe - just maybe - he's putting his own needs / interests / happiness ahead of a small band of twats who think Crystal Palace FC and all its employees somehow owe them something.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe fans are the only people who count and footballers themselves are just commodities to be used whenever said fans wish, just because they hand over 25 quid every so often. Maybe footballers shouldn't be allowed their own lives.

Not aimed at you Miles, of course. I just quoted you because it was relevant.

Rant over.

Is it really though? Is it not a bit much to expect of a player to cut into what may be a family holiday, at what may be an inconvenient time, with a small chance that he may not be able to fly back out again what with the latest ash cloud panic, just to collect a trinket and mingle with a group of half-pissed fans? Maybe Clyne, as a young lad in the early stages of his career, hasn't got a spare few grand to fly all over Europe to put on fake smiles for the very people who will boo, swear and spit at him the moment he wants to further his career. Maybe he wants a break after an emotionally and physically draining, and ultimately crap and disappointing, season. Maybe - just maybe - he's putting his own needs / interests / happiness ahead of a small band of twats who think Crystal Palace FC and all its employees somehow owe them something.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe fans are the only people who count and footballers themselves are just commodities to be used whenever said fans wish, just because they hand over 25 quid every so often. Maybe footballers shouldn't be allowed their own lives.

Not aimed at you Miles, of course. I just quoted you because it was relevant.

Rant over.

Funnily enough BM, as I was writing it crossed my mind that there might be more to it than was being relayed in that article.

I do agree that a lot of the public seems to relish villianizing athletes at every opportunity. Indeed, I'm exposed to it daily at work.

It seems to me from Twitter, that the agents run around trying to sort out deals... and the players sit around playing Call Of Duty ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669