PC Build Issue - RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

M17TT C

Hi,

Been getting my geek on and I've just attempted my second PC build and hit a bit of a problem with the RAM. I put it all together and fired it up but it wouldn't start properly and only start for 2-3 seconds and cut out and then try again and so on. Initial troubleshooting lead me to believe it was a shorting problem so I removed the m/b to try it outside but same problem. I then tried another PSU as I thought that might be the issue but still the same problem. Tried various other things such as unplugging HDDs, ODDs and various headers on the m/b but still the same issue. Finally thought for some reason I would try without the RAM and bingo, it works. Well not really as I obviously still don't get any visual but it powers up and stays running without any RAM.

Now this is only my second build so don't exactly knows all the ins and outs but is this a problem with the memory or the memory slots on the m/b? I've tried 2 different types of RAM and still no joy.

M/B - http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=591#ov
1st RAM - GSkill Eco 4GB (2x2GB) 1.35v low power 1333Mhz http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=247
2nd RAM - Corsair XMS3 2GB DDR3 CMX2GX3M1A1333C9 - 1.65v

Is it a simple case of the RAM not being compatible with the m/b as neither are listed on the m/b website or is my cheapo build going to get £30 more expensive with the need for another m/b? All parts were purchased 2nd hand and other parts tried have come from a known working machine.

Ta
Matt

Last edited:
Unsure on number 1 but tried both sticks of the 'new' one individually after trying them both together and then whipped one out of my HTPC, the low volt stuff, and same thing.

Last edited:
Unsure on number 1 but tried both sticks of the 'new' one individually after trying them both together and then whipped one out of my HTPC, the low volt stuff, and same thing.

When I had this it was a simple case of the ram not being clicked in fully, but the same problem would arise from a loose connection. Try gently wiggling them in to their socket.

Thanks chaps - I've tried 3 different sticks, one at a time, in each of the slots with no change and they were clicking in but I'm going to try it again when I get back just to double double check on everything.

Durham - no visual at all with RAM plugged in. Starts for about 2-3 seconds, CPU fan tries to start and then it stops and repeats. Stays on and CPU fan and case fans power up and stay on with RAM removed.

Seems like dead slots to me but never had this problem or anything similar tbh so just guesstimating at that.

It could be one of many things tbh:

- Faulty or incompatible RAM
- Faulty RAM Slot
- Faulty onboard GPU
- Faulty CPU

Have you got a mobo speaker plugged in? though it sounds like its not even getting to POST.

Thanks Durham. Unsure on mobo speaker as I've not heard any beeps but I have plugged the front pannel audio plug on the relevant header on the motherboard so not sure if that is meant to be it?

Also unsure on the POST thing as I have read about it but not entirely sure what that stage is tbh.

Thanks for the other options though as it gives me another plan of attack. I've got my HTPC which is the same socket CPU and same spec RAM so I think I'm going to have to chop and change more parts from each to try and confirm what the problem is. Think I'll try the 'new' ram in my HTPC as I know that is fine and the RAM should just slot straight in and fire up??? If that works OK then I guess I'll have to swap the CPU out from the HTPC and try that as I know that is fine too.

POST stands for Power On Self Test, this results in a series of beeps which can be translated to find your fault. You need a mobo speaker plugged in to the header on the mobo to hear the beeps. it wont work with just the front panel connected.

If its POSTing then you should be able to find the fault quite quickly. If its not, in my experience the fault is almost always Motherboard or CPU related.

Last edited:
OK, thanks Durham. I will look into the motherboard speaker when I get back from work to try and get some beeps but if not I think I will have to just swap bits out from my working PC and try and work out what the problem part is from that.

Thanks for you input/advice so far though :thumbs_up

Also worth checking your PSU and ensuring youve connected the power cables to the cpu correctly. If the CPU needs a second power connection and thats not seated properly or at all youd see what are seeing at the moment.

Last edited:
Yeah I'll double check on that again but I've tried it with a couple of PSUs as I originally thought that was the issue but unfortunately not. I'll check there are no foreign objects in there, or RAM slots, causing an issue but it seems like faulty m/b or cpu to me :(

Yeah I'll double check on that again but I've tried it with a couple of PSUs as I originally thought that was the issue but unfortunately not. I'll check there are no foreign objects in there, or RAM slots, causing an issue but it seems like faulty m/b or cpu to me :(

Most likely, yes. Could even be a bent pin on the CPU socket. If it is you can normally bend them back with a small flat headed screw driver.

Most likely, yes. Could even be a bent pin on the CPU socket. If it is you can normally bend them back with a small flat headed screw driver.

Looking more likely now as I've just tried the 'new' ram in my HTPC and it fires up and boots up fine so no problems with that. I guess now is time to swap the CPUs as that should at least tell me if the CPU is at fault or the actual motherboard but no thermal paste and don't really want to do it without a heatsink on!

Thanks again for all your help/advice though as it's been a great help.

Ahh so that's what watercooling is! Sounds like it should clean out any foreign objects too.

BRB.

Right, I've tried the 'new' CPU in my HTPC, no paste so I got a sandwich bag filled with ice which seemed to work fine as it fired up into Windows that was already installed so guessing that rules the CPU.

Going to try the one from the HTPC in the 'new' build but i'm fairly sure it'll be the same result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566