Peak District help

Status
Not open for further replies.

RHYDAL

Planning a trip to the Buxton/Bakewell/Castleton area and there seems to be a vast selection of caves to visit.
Anyone been to any of them and can recommend one? I think that's my limit on underground attractions.

Planning a trip to the Buxton/Bakewell/Castleton area and there seems to be a vast selection of caves to visit.
Anyone been to any of them and can recommend one? I think that's my limit on underground attractions.

Are the Blue John mines still open? Worth a visit if they are just to experience total darkness when they turn the lights off.

I went to Poole's Cavern on a uni trip, very interesting stuff and a guided tour.

Lathkill Dale is worth visiting for a ramble, too.

Last edited:
Are the Blue John mines still open? Worth a visit if they are just to experience total darkness when they turn the lights off.

Blue John is where everybody goes. I would have thought that Rhydal might be better to visit Peak Cavern,just outside Castleton where he can (apparently) 'unravel the mysteries of the Devil’s Arse'. Having said that he may, as a Cardiff fan, already be familiar with the theme.

Seriously though, we thought it was a good trip and less likely to be crowded than places such as Blue John.

Whilst in the area he should make sure he walks along the abandoned road to the west of Castleton and witnesses the layers of tarmac that were repeatedly laid in attempts to keep it open.

Just wondering about Poole Caverns and the Heights of Abraham too?

Just wondering about Poole Caverns and the Heights of Abraham too?

Some great stalactite action at Poole's Cavern, if you're interested that kind of thing.

Whilst in the area he should make sure he walks along the abandoned road to the west of Castleton and witnesses the layers of tarmac that were repeatedly laid in attempts to keep it open.

Be mad to miss out on this. Really fascinating bit of walking.

The Heights of Abraham are well worth a trip, it spans both sides of the gorge via cable car and there is some great walking. Some nice pubs in Matlock Bath too.

Dovedale is a bit out of the way but very beautiful. If you go to Castleton make sure you take in the view from the top of Mam Tor

I was there (Dovedale area) last week and, unsurprisingly, it is all very wet at the moment which curtailed some of our favourite walks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566