Pearson at Derby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mawsley

Nigel Pearson: Derby County appoint former Leicester City boss as new manager

_89820738_nigel_pearson2.jpg

Nigel Pearson had previously been linked with the managerial vacancy at Aston Villa
Derby County have appointed former Leicester City boss Nigel Pearson as their manager on a three-year contract.

Pearson, 52, has been out of work since being sacked by Leicester City in June 2015, having taken the Foxes to Premier League safety.

Darren Wassall, who guided the Rams to fifth in the Championship before their play-off semi-final loss to Hull, will return to his role as academy director.

Former Derby left-back Chris Powell will join as Pearson's assistant.

Ex-Carlisle and Southampton manager Pearson was first appointed by Leicester in 2008, and led the club to promotion from League One during his first season in charge.

After losing to Cardiff in the Championship play-offs the following season, he left the Foxes to take over at Hull - only to return to Leicester again less than 18 months later.

Pearson went on to lead them to the Premier League in 2014, but was sacked when relations between him and the club's board were "no longer viable".

The Foxes won seven and drew one of their last 10 games under Pearson to retain their top-flight status, which they went on to top as champions this season.

'The perfect appointment'
"Nigel is a proven winner, a highly experienced manager who has track record of success in the Championship," chairman Mel Morris told Derby's website.

"We believe Nigel is the perfect appointment and will build on the solid progress we have made in recent seasons but more importantly, will enable us to achieve our long-term objective of Premier League football."

Despite a spirited second-leg play-off performance against Hull, Derby failed to reach the final and will now spend a ninth consecutive season in the Championship.

They sacked manager Paul Clement in February despite being just five points off top spot, with Wassall taking over until the end of the season.

"Darren is a very talented man, who put his full energy and vigour into the task and we are delighted he will continue to play an important part in the club," added Derby president Sam Rush.

"Nigel is a highly sought-after, talented, manager and I know he will give us absolutely everything to make this club successful. I am excited with what the future holds."

He will rebuild and get them promoted, it will be interesting to see if he has learnt from his PL experience with us to do better next time round. He was tactically naive and often looked out of his depth, but a very good Championship appointment.

For what he gave us, Pea Son deserves success there...and Powell deserves everything wonderful in life for being one of the nicest men ever.

Wonder if Derbeh have the patience for a full rebuild though. Somehow I doubt it.

Good luck to him but I'm nit as convinced as the majority that this will end in success

Wish him well. Just hope he remembers they sacked someone not long ago for having the cheek to try and get them promoted.

Sky reporting NP is trying to tempt Indigo Idiakez away from the KP

Who?

Edit; Youth team coach. (Had to google that)

http://www.lcfc.com/news/article/2016-17/inigo-idiakez-u16s-coach-joins-derby-county-3173892.aspx

Leicester City Football Club would like to extend its thanks and best wishes to Inigo Idiakez, who will take up a new role as First Team Coach at Derby County.
The 42-year-old Spaniard spent two years of his playing career with the Rams from 2004-2006 during a successful spell, and joins with the well wishes of all at LCFC.

Inigo has coached in the Leicester City Academy since 2013 and has made a positive contribution in his time with the Club as a hard working and popular member of staff.

Inigo told LCFC.com:“I’ve had a great three years at Leicester City. Since I started, the players and the staff have been fantastic to me right from the foundation to the first team. I’ve learned so much as a coach so a big thank you to everyone.”

Leicester City’s Director of Football, Jon Rudkin, said:“On behalf of everyone at the club we would like to place on record our thanks to Ini for the outstanding work and contribution he has made during his time with the Club and we all would like to wish him well in this new challenge.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566