Pearson Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have gone into this season without sufficient quality to thrive in the Premier League. The fact that Pearson only picks two of the summer acquisitions indicates that he knows that the club has brought in players who are mainly worse rather than better than the existing staff.

The owners made noises at the start of the summer which might have suggested that they understood the scale of investment needed. This was not followed through - instead the club spent quite a lot of money throwing new and better contracts at existing players.

Football at this level is a cruel game. Weakness is punished.

I think our chances of survival are slim but not impossible. I'm not sure that replacing Pearson would help - but if he can't improve on 2 points out of 21 then he won't last much longer anyway. Rightly or wrongle he will carry the can - but I think there is a collective responsibility in recruitment (lack of) which has led to f a position where we can't score any goals in away matches and have very limited options in personnel in all games.

Very, very disappointing.

I don't accept that our squad isn't good enough to get sufficient points/results this season. You cannot magically buy a Premier League team when you get promoted. You have to evolve into one.

There are very valid questions about the quality of the recruits we brought in simply because all bar two of them aren't deemed to be good enough to play. However, we have a large squad. We have players that can follow orders and do what's required.

What is letting us down at the moment isn't the quality of our squad. It is the choices we're making in terms of who plays, where they play, how they play, etc.

I don't accept that our squad isn't good enough to get sufficient points/results this season. You cannot magically buy a Premier League team when you get promoted. You have to evolve into one.

There are very valid questions about the quality of the recruits we brought in simply because all bar two of them aren't deemed to be good enough to play. However, we have a large squad. We have players that can follow orders and do what's required.

What is letting us down at the moment isn't the quality of our squad. It is the choices we're making in terms of who plays, where they play, how they play, etc.

I agree except for the last bit. Yesterday, we set out and played to win, a decision that is credit to Pearson. What Lerner us down yesterday was poor decisions from the players. James should have done better twice, Vardy had a great chance to play James throuh again but fluffed his lines and Nugent had a brilliant chance to slide in Ulloa or Schlupp but chose to shoot from a ridiculous decision. Pearson gave them everything to succeed yesterday, they didn't quite make the most of it.

I put the mistakes down to a severe lack of confidence and hopefully that will ease with a few more positive performances like yesterday.

Stoke sacked [Puiis] because they felt he'd taken them as far as he could and they wanted to 'push on'.

I seem to remember that he was sacked for failing to sign foreign players. Pulis complained that the club had sold his best player, Ade Akinbiyi, but failed to allow him to sign a replacement.

What Lerner us down yesterday was poor decisions from the players.

To randy or not to randy? Difficult choice, eh?

That isn't true at all. Stoke sacked him because they felt he'd taken them as far as he could and they wanted to 'push on'. I think this was an absurd decision by them. They brought in Mark Hughes, who is a decent manager, but I think it remains Pulis's squad that keep them in a comfortable mid table position. Pulis's Stoke legacy is that this is their fifth successive season in the Premier League and they've never looked like going down. Not to mention a Cup Final and European football.

At Palace, he came in and with a hopeless squad and no money, he remarkably fashioned a team that were exceptional in the second half of last season playing terrific. high tempo, hassling football. He left because he wanted the squad to be strengthened and it wasn't. Given how our owners have backed their managers, I can't imagine anything similar happening here.

Have a look at how much money he spent at Stoke. It's within the top 5 of spenders.

He left Palace as Steve Parish wouldn't commit to spend silly wages. Which appears to be a similar vein as here.

Why isn't this maestro in work?

I think that any promoted team is likely to have to bring in four or five better quality players to bridge that gap.

It seems to be generally accepted that we only brought in two worthwhile players - so there is a big problem.

I fear that Pearson's assertion that his Championship squad was good enough chimed with the owners and collective wish not to spend 'silly money'. These days you more or less have to spend'silly money'.

I was completely wrong about Pearson in that he proved more than capable of building a side to gain promotion. I hope I'm wrong in thinking that he probably won't keep us up. Very difficult for him now - as he will find it a problem to recruit the necessary talent in January e.g. he always needed another striker; a quality creative midfielder and ideally a versatile defender.

I can see the point you are making about it being about the wrong choices - presumably you would base that partly on the success against Man U. You may be right but I sense that it's more about us being quickly sussed quickly followed by a dip in confidence.

I think that any promoted team is likely to have to bring in four or five better quality players to bridge that gap.

It seems to be generally accepted that we only brought in two worthwhile players - so there is a big problem.

I fear that Pearson's assertion that his Championship squad was good enough chimed with the owners and collective wish not to spend 'silly money'. These days you more or less have to spend'silly money'.

I was completely wrong about Pearson in that he proved more than capable of building a side to gain promotion. I hope I'm wrong in thinking that he probably won't keep us up. Very difficult for him now - as he will find it a problem to recruit the necessary talent in January e.g. he always needed another striker; a quality creative midfielder and ideally a versatile defender.

I can see the point you are making about it being about the wrong choices - presumably you would base that partly on the success against Man U. You may be right but I sense that it's more about us being quickly sussed quickly followed by a dip in confidence.
It's not generally accepted by anyone but yourself.

I am a big fan of Pearson, IMO the first 5 games were a freebie nobody expected anything much out of them which gave him the opportunity to go out and pick a team and style of play that was exciting to watch and could play with no pressure, however the following set of 7 / 8 fixtures were against teams expected to be in our half of the table and therefore were games where expectations levels increased, expectation and pressure to secure points intensified, this where I feel the pressure has got to NP and he has tried to be too clever, tinkered with formation and personnel and as a result we looked disjointed, lack fluidity and tempo.

for me now is the time to pick a settled team, formation and go back to what we do best playing high energy, high tempo attacking football, I am certain had we continued with the mentality we adopted in the first 5 games in the last 7 we would have reaped at least a couple more victories..

Not at all, he's entitled to his deranged, self-infatuated opinions.

Good of you.

I just don't think it is worthwhile arguing issues with you given that you can't manage to understand that the fact that the manager only picks two of his summer signings suggests that there hasn't been too much of an impact by the other signings.

Let's leave it at that.

I am a big fan of Pearson, IMO the first 5 games were a freebie nobody expected anything much out of them which gave him the opportunity to go out and pick a team and style of play that was exciting to watch and could play with no pressure, however the following set of 7 / 8 fixtures were against teams expected to be in our half of the table and therefore were games where expectations levels increased, expectation and pressure to secure points intensified, this where I feel the pressure has got to NP and he has tried to be too clever, tinkered with formation and personnel and as a result we looked disjointed, lack fluidity and tempo.

for me now is the time to pick a settled team, formation and go back to what we do best playing high energy, high tempo attacking football, I am certain had we continued with the mentality we adopted in the first 5 games in the last 7 we would have reaped at least a couple more victories..

The Crystal Palace defeat where we lost after enjoying the majority of possession (certainly in the first half) seemed to kick off more negativity than you would have expected.....that was followed by Burnley's last gasp equaliser... and the whole mood had changed.

You are right about the importance of high tempo. The team playing at the higher tempo generally does best. Not sure how this is achieved though.

Some may disagree, but iMO, this squad of players like to be the dark horse. They don't do too well under pressure - where they are expected to win. Last season we weren't pre-season favourites to go up. We creamed the league. The seasons before that there was pressure, the whole "big spending Leicester" tags especially, to go up. We ballsed it up for whatever reason. Last season we were quiet, confident and enjoyed our football.

This season, first few games, no one expected anything. I went to Chelsea away and we gave em' something to do - it was great to see the pressure we exerted, the "we won't lie down" attitude was there. Same against Arsenal. They resembled FA Cup ties.

It's very easy to break trust, whether it be in a relationship, or friendship and evidently football. The trust in themselves, and the fans trust in the staff seems to be breaking because of a run of defeats and poor performances. If you can celebrate when the going is easy that's all well and good, but now we have to trust that those who brought us here will keep us here. Pearson is learning, as are the players. Sunderland's match will give us a huge reason to push on next match. We started to get at em. Yes, fine, we had little possession, but we still pushed and the effort was evident.

I live opposite Loftus Rd and the talk in the pubs is that QPR will demolish us. They are confident based on their performances of late, and see this as a golden opportunity to get three points at home and move ahead of us. Play like we got nothing to lose and we'll be just dandy.

Good chance we'll be bottom by five o'clock on Saturday

Just saying...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673