Perth......the 3rd test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have been nothing short of shocking throughout this series, every time we have been under any kind of pressure we have buckled. Fletcher and the selection commitee have made some truly woeful decisions.

1) Flintoff should never have been appointed captain, too much responsibility on the shoulders of a player who could and should have been our most influential player. Strauss had proven himself as a decent skipper and IMO would have been the better option.

2) The continued selection of Geriant Jones who is clearly out of form with the bat and whose glove work is erratic to say the least. Jones is on the selection team for this tour what the feck is that all about :102:

3) Not selecting Panesar for the first two tests, disgraceful decision.

4) Why select Mahmood and then show just how little faith they have in him by hardly using him, especially when one of the front line bowlers is struggling (Flintoff).

This would be the side and batting line up I would like to see selected for the final two tests :

Strauss
Cook
Bell
Pieterson
Joyce
Flintoff
Dalrymple
Read
Hoggard
Harmison
Panesar

I would like to see us play with 2 spinners as this would enable us to keep the strike bowlers fresh and be used in short, sharp bursts. There is no point in selecting Mahmood or Anderson as they both appear to have lost the faith of the skipper. Dalrymple would also provide a decent option as lower order batsmen.

I would also like to see Ed Joyce be given an opportunity to stake a claim for the troublesome middle order position, despite his double hundred IMO Collingwood lacks the technique to bat at No 4 at Test level. I would move KP up the order and give Joyce a chance at No 5.

And finally Chris Read must be given an extended run at wicket keeper, his glove work is far superior to Jones' and I am afraid that his recent form with the bat means he brings very little if anything to the party.

If theres any consolation the Aussies will have to rebuild half their team by the time the 2009 Ashes series starts. Probaly need replacements for McGrath, Warne and Gilchrist as well as others. Those 3 alone are argubaly amongst the best players to have ever played the game. They won't find it easy to replace them.

I agree with adding Dalrymple and Read however i heard last week that the Selector for the tour are Fletcher, Flintoff, G Jones, Collingwood and Strauss. Anyone else heard that?

Not too sure on Joyce, i'd like him to play in the 5th Test, but keep Collingwood in. a) Fletcher likes him and wouldn't drop him
b) I think he's a good fighter and someone we need, who's normally reliable. I'd like Collingwood to be given time.

i'm not too sure about putting KP in at 4 because it's nice with Bell (who i'm glad he's done well this year) and Collingwood getting a nice partnership together, and then allow the big hitter to score a quick fire 50. He's not reliable enough IMO to bat at 4.

Anderson's bowled crap and, as you say, Mahmood's not done much.

I'm just glad Panesar's back in the team. It's a disgrace that Giles walked back into the team after a year out, when Monty's been on top form. In the 2nd test, i read that Fletcher wanted Monty to play but Freddie preferred Anderson.

If theres any consolation the Aussies will have to rebuild half their team by the time the 2009 Ashes series starts. Probaly need replacements for McGrath, Warne and Gilchrist as well as others. Those 3 alone are argubaly amongst the best players to have ever played the game. They won't find it easy to replace them.

Mike Hussey is a very good addition to their team, and Stuart McGill is, supposedly, the 2nd best Leg spinner in the world.

Gilchrist has been under pressure since the last Ashes series, i don't think he'll be around much longer !

Stuart Clark has done alright to, but McGrath will be hard to replace!

Mike Hussey is a very good addition to their team, and Stuart McGill is, supposedly, the 2nd best Leg spinner in the world.

Gilchrist has been under pressure since the last Ashes series, i don't think he'll be around much longer !

Stuart Clark has done alright to, but McGrath will be hard to replace!

Stuart McGill is not bad, but not in the same lge as Warne. Monty will be the best spinner when the sides clash in the next Ashes series. I agree Hussey looks class.

Heard rumours that both Warney and McGrath are looking to make the next Ashes series.

I think McGrath wont make it but you never know with Warney, lets face it he doesnt have to stay too fit, he only has a run up of a couple of steps! :)

The problem with the England team at the moment is not about talent, but simply the lack of fight and bottle when it really matters.

When ever there has been situations where it looks like we could be in the game, then we folded as quickly as superman on laundry day ;) We just lack the bottle that we had under Vaughan, he was able to keep the intensity levels up.

Other problems:
- Lack of preperation. Several of our players just hadn't adapted to australian conditions and just weren't in any sort of form. I don't understand why we didn't fly to Australia straight after the champions trophy instead of coming back to England. Those extra 2 weeks of preperation may have made a big impact, especially when you consider that Harmison and Cook have only just came into form in the 3rd test.
- Trescothick. If you look back at the last ashes series then you realise that hes a big loss. He scored runs and scored them quickly, he helped us get off to fliers and put pressure on the aussies straight away. Our top three has definately been missing a more experienced batsman, remember that Strauss himself has only been in test cricket for around 2 years.
- Selection of injured players. When we went into the first test we had Flintoff, Giles and Anderson all who hadn't played cricket in a long time. The selection of Flintoff was understandable but it was always going to be a risk to put in both Giles and Anderson as well, and it was obvious that they weren't fit enough to play test cricket against Australia.

It is also perfectly clear that G Jones isn't a test quality player but I don't know how big an impact another player would have made. I mean we only have Read on tour as a possible replacement not Gilchrist or Sangakarra.

Er, Panesar, yeah, he should have started from the off. How come every pundit and anyone who knew anything about cricket was saying that before the start of the series? It was only Fletcher who didn't have a clue.

Last edited:
Are people seriously advocating dropping Collingwood so soon after he scored a double century? He had one bad test match!

Dalrymple isn't test match quality either so I wouldn't bother.

I'd bring in Joyce for Mahmood to get us some extra runs. Now that we have Panesar who can bowl long attacking spells, we no longer need a 5 man attack. There was a concern about Flintoff's fitness which is one of the reasons we're playing 5 bowlers but hes coped well with it so far. The fact that Mahmood bowler something like 15 overs in the last test shows that we don't need a 5th bowler that much, don't play one for the sake of it.

The problem with the England team at the moment is not about talent, but simply the lack of fight and bottle when it really matters.

When ever there has been situations where it looks like we could be in the game, then we folded as quickly as superman on laundry day ;) We just lack the bottle that we had under Vaughan, he was able to keep the intensity levels up.

Other problems:
- Lack of preperation. Several of our players just hadn't adapted to australian conditions and just weren't in any sort of form. I don't understand why we didn't fly to Australia straight after the champions trophy instead of coming back to England. Those extra 2 weeks of preperation may have made a big impact, especially when you consider that Harmison and Cook have only just came into form in the 3rd test.
- Trescothick. If you look back at the last ashes series then you realise that hes a big loss. He scored runs and scored them quickly, he helped us get off to fliers and put pressure on the aussies straight away. Our top three has definately been missing a more experienced batsman, remember that Strauss himself has only been in test cricket for around 2 years.
- Selection of injured players. When we went into the first test we had Flintoff, Giles and Anderson all who hadn't played cricket in a long time. The selection of Flintoff was understandable but it was always going to be a risk to put in both Giles and Anderson as well, and it was obvious that they weren't fit enough to play test cricket against Australia.

It is also perfectly clear that G Jones isn't a test quality player but I don't know how big an impact another player would have made. I mean we only have Read on tour as a possible replacement not Gilchrist or Sangakarra.

Er, Panesar, yeah, he should have started from the off. How come every pundit and anyone who knew anything about cricket was saying that before the start of the series? It was only Fletcher who didn't have a clue.

CM I think we agree on most things cricket-wise and this is no exception. spot on.

They were talking on Sky about Fletcher saying 'selection is easy in hindsight' however given that most of the country wereagainst these selections 5 weeks ago,hindsight doesn't even come into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566