Please Help! Volume 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

From Gradel to Grave

I'm still trying to get on top of the computer room at the charity I work for.

The computers are infinitely better and, after a delay, Office 2010 is installed. :icon_bigg

The internet keeps dropping. I have checked and double checked the wires and the filter. The problem is either the router or the broadband lines coming in I think.

I was hoping to confirm the router was the problem and when I attach the work router at home it won't come on. However, when I attach my home router at work it won't come on!

Should the green lights be coming on? Do I need to install something? Is the fact that the broadband suppliers are different the problem?

I'm a serious layman and any help would be enormously gratefully received! :icon_bigg

I'm still trying to get on top of the computer room at the charity I work for.

The computers are infinitely better and, after a delay, Office 2010 is installed. :icon_bigg

The internet keeps dropping. I have checked and double checked the wires and the filter. The problem is either the router or the broadband lines coming in I think.

I was hoping to confirm the router was the problem and when I attach the work router at home it won't come on. However, when I attach my home router at work it won't come on!

Should the green lights be coming on? Do I need to install something? Is the fact that the broadband suppliers are different the problem?

I'm a serious layman and any help would be enormously gratefully received! :icon_bigg

If you want a wireless adsl modem/router to use I would happily donate my old netgear dgn2000

Last edited:
If you've got Virgin or another cable provider at home then it won't work at work as I'm guessing from you mentioning filters there, you've got BT or suchlike at work?

Thanks for the help. :038:

I have Sky at home which comes through the phone line and filters etc.

The same set up at work but a different company - Namesco.

What's the make and model of the router you are using at work?

I'm home now. The ADSL and Internet lights are out. Just the power and WIFI are green.

Then there's no broadband signal getting to the router. Double check all of the connections and make sure that the router is connected through a filter to the main phone socket, NOT an extention.
If you're still not getting a solid ADSL light, then you need to call your supplier and request a line check

Sorry, I read your earlier post and quickly replied when I should have come back to it. :icon_bigg

There is a broadband signal and all lights are on when it is. The problem is that it has been dropping out and this has been happening more with time.

This is particularly annoying because the computer room has a college course and it has dropped out during the last two weeks while they have been teaching emails. :mad:

As I say I've been trying to find out if the problem is the cables, filter, router, the signal or a combination so took everything home and confirmed that the cables and filter are all fine. When I tried the same check with the router itself this didn't connect but I think this may be my error as my home router doesn't connect at work either. :102:

Thanks everyone for your help with this. :icon_bigg

Each router has its own username and password, specific to each location. So you won't be able to just swap either of them and expect them to work, not without entering in the username and password.

If you're not getting an ADSL light this means that the signal is not getting to the router.
If you have ADSL but no Internet light this means that your router has signal but has not connected to your ISP, possibly an issue with the username/password or an account problem.

If it's dropping in and out it's usually going to a physical problem at the location. Including, but not limited to, a dodgy phone line, phone sockets, cables, filters, other phone equipment connected on the same line, Xmas tree lights (I shit you not), central heating systems, moisture getting into a distribution cabinet or junction, alarm sytems etc, etc, etc, etc...
Can be very difficult to track down and even more difficult to get somebody to take responsibility for it.

Best thing to do is to strip out anything else that might be connected to the phone socket and connect the router alone directly to that socket through a filter. Try and rule out anything that might affect it and keep a log of times that it goes on and off to see if a pattern emerges.

If it's dropping in and out it's usually going to a physical problem at the location. Including, but not limited to, a dodgy phone line, phone sockets, cables, filters, other phone equipment connected on the same line, Xmas tree lights (I shit you not), central heating systems, moisture getting into a distribution cabinet or junction, alarm sytems etc, etc, etc, etc...
Can be very difficult to track down and even more difficult to get somebody to take responsibility for it.

But often an ISP can change the settings from their end that will result in a slower but more reliable connection. Macky will be able to tell us the technical term for this...

But often an ISP can change the settings from their end that will result in a slower but more reliable connection. Macky will be able to tell us the technical term for this...

The incredibly technical speed profile. Can be a bit of a task to get them to do that manually though.

The incredibly technical speed profile. Can be a bit of a task to get them to do that manually though.

TalkTalk did this for me once, took a line that regularly delivered 12m/1.2m down to 7.5m/0.8m with no improvement in the drop out rate and they wouldn't reset it back to the original settings. One of my many problems with the worst ISP in the UK.

Google it...oh wait.
:icon_wink It's hard to believe but I only ask for help here when I've run out of ideas. Unfortunately due to my chronic laymanism this has happened more than once. :icon_lol:

Thanks everyone for your help with this. Macky particularly, you've been brilliant again. :038::038:

We had a problem at home with our internet connection dropping randomly. Turned out we had a fault in the line that could have been diagnosed by simply picking up the phone and checking if there was any noise. As we never use the landline we had no idea! You could try that, as a wild stab in the dark.

We had a problem at home with our internet connection dropping randomly. Turned out we had a fault in the line that could have been diagnosed by simply picking up the phone and checking if there was any noise. As we never use the landline we had no idea! You could try that, as a wild stab in the dark.

Having had a problem with the phone point before and being told to check the line I have a phone here for that purpose and check it before I ring the ISP providers.

I fail to see how your landline could be interfering with his connection, but if it helps then Gravy can pop round ours and listen to our phone too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566