Please Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

From Gradel to Grave

I have been asked to look at my charity's computer suite by the local college as the computers and internet have been sluggish and they want the latest MS Office package installed.

I have put free antivirus (Antivir or AVG where Antivir won't run) and CCleaner on them all. I plan to defrag and am removing programmes that obviously shouldn't be there. Should there be other programmes (eg adaware/malware) that I should install? I don't want to unnecessarily burden the computers given their speed.

I have a copy of Office 2010 but this won't run and when I look at the drive in My Computer it doesn't know a disk is in the drive. Could this be because the number of licences have expired?

Any help would be enormously welcome! :038:

It could be because the PC has a CD-ROM drive and you are putting in a DVD. The number of licences will not affect it running.

I have put free antivirus (Antivir or AVG where Antivir won't run) and CCleaner on them all. I plan to defrag and am removing programmes that obviously shouldn't be there. Should there be other programmes (eg adaware/malware) that I should install? I don't want to unnecessarily burden the computers given their speed.

Malwarebytes and Spybot

BTW, the number of programs installed won't impact the speed of the PC

In theory, yeah, but most unlikely. You'd have to try quite hard and be very selective to achieve it

I've seen it happen when someone installed that many anti spyware things it was basically all there was on there. Only reason I mentioned it.

I've seen it happen when someone installed that many anti spyware things it was basically all there was on there. Only reason I mentioned it.

Now that is irony in action :icon_razz

Quick SOS.

Thanks for the earlier advice which has been excellent. :038: The computers are much better now and office is finally installed on all.

If I don't register online or by phone will the software stop working after the 20 day registration window?

Also there is an admin user which allows programmes and settings to only be made by me. I want now to tidy up the publicly accessible users and I want to change power settings but am being told I don't have access despite the fact I was trying to set them to how they were under admin.

Any help would be extremely gratefully received. :icon_bigg:icon_bigg

If I don't register online or by phone will the software stop working after the 20 day registration window?

I doubt it will stop working entirely, most likely it'll be feature limited and will hit you with lots of nag screens. You could try setting the time and date forward on one of the machines to a day past the expiry date to see what the effect will be.

there is an admin user which allows programmes and settings to only be made by me. I want now to tidy up the publicly accessible users and I want to change power settings but am being told I don't have access despite the fact I was trying to set them to how they were under admin.

Not entirely sure what you mean there. If you want to modify user accounts you'd need to log in with the admin account and go into Control Panel > User Accounts and change the settings for each account listed there. There's only two levels though, Administrator or Standard user

Last edited:
You could try setting the time and date forward on one of the machines to a day past the expiry date to see what the effect will be.

Unless in so doing it sets a flag that doesn't revert when you put the time back to normal.

I want to set the power settings so they stop falling asleep while I'm working on them and don't have access on the publicly accessible account.

I logged in as admin and changed the status of the other account thinking I could make the changes and then revert the account to non-admin.

I've tried this on two machines and neither let me change settings and they won't let me turn the admin setting off now. Saying at least one account has to be admin but the admin accounts are still there so I'm not sure why this has happened. :icon_cry:

Office 2010 programmes do stop working if not registered.

It's a good job I did this early enough to catch it in time. It won't let you type or save etc. due to reduced functionality.

I had to deinstall the previous Office 2010 versions and obtain new licences which were cheaper because we are a charity.

Because time is of the essence I can't wait for delivery and needed to download them. This, eventually, has taken place. I had to use the Volume Licensing Service Center but the programme I wanted was only in IOS (not exe).

I had to burn it to a disc and then install. The burn was successful but then I tried the install on 2 computers and they both failed. The latest said it couldn't find the Standard WW/StdWW.cab file.

I've looked online but can't find a way around this.

Any advice would be a life saver! :038:

I had to deinstall the previous Office 2010 versions and obtain new licences which were cheaper because we are a charity.

Because time is of the essence I can't wait for delivery and needed to download them. This, eventually, has taken place. I had to use the Volume Licensing Service Center but the programme I wanted was only in IOS (not exe).

I had to burn it to a disc and then install. The burn was successful but then I tried the install on 2 computers and they both failed. The latest said it couldn't find the Standard WW/StdWW.cab file.

I've looked online but can't find a way around this.

Any advice would be a life saver! :038:

Is the ISO that you've downloaded for an upgrade disc or for a fresh install?

It's a fresh install.

It's a difficult one to advise on without actually being there. A .cab file is a windows cabinet file that will either be a part of an original install or will be in the ISO itself. It might be down to a corrupt ISO file.
I'll give it a gooooogle later on when I get a chance and see if I can see anything

Last edited:
It's a difficult one to advise on without actually being there. A .cab file is a windows cabinet file that will either be a part of an original install or will be in the ISO itself. It might be down to a corrupt ISO file.
I'll give it a gooooogle later on when I get a chance and see if I can see anything

Fantastic :038::038:

Can't find much in the way of solutions tbh G2G. It seems to be a problem with corrupt ISOs from what I can see.
Might be worth seeing if you can find an exe version of the installer or maybe redownloading the ISO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566