Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

tedfoxxx

Hi everyone,

I just plugged my memory stick into my laptop, only to find that about 1500 words worth of essay (roughly half of what I had written) has disappeard from a Word document. All of what I wrote using the university's library computers yesterday is gone, despite the fact that it had saved and was there yesterday evening.

So any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Have you tried plugging your memory stick into Tommy Wright's Monster Munch, then reading SuperScout's list?

Wait no its cool, popped the little fella in the xbox and it all came back.

Wait no its cool, popped the little fella in the xbox and it all came back.

Before you do anything else, copy the file and save it onto another device as a backup.
If a file doesn't exist in at least two places, it might as well not exist at all.

Before you do anything else, copy the file and save it onto another device as a backup.
If a file doesn't exist in at least two places, it might as well not exist at all.

I had backed up the 1500 I had done over the weekend and monday, the work thats gone was done on a uni computer yesterday and has just disappered out of the word document, while the rest has remained.

Last edited:

Yup. I lost a lot of stuff a couple of months ago when a SSD died. I've learned my lesson. I now use Skydrive and everything I save to my documents is automatically backed up to the cloud.

I've also set up daily backups on my web server, after realising my last back up of TB was over 6 months old.

Logged onto a library computer with it and its back, any idea why its saving on my memory stick but not loading on my laptop. (I know very little about computers sadly)

Logged onto a library computer with it and its back, any idea why its saving on my memory stick but not loading on my laptop. (I know very little about computers sadly)

Are you sure it's opening the correct file on your laptop? Or is it opening a recent version of it saved locally on the laptop?

Are you sure it's opening the correct file on your laptop? Or is it opening a recent version of it saved locally on the laptop?

May be the later, either way its sorted now. Thanks for offering some genuine support rather than some Tommy Wright based nonsense.

I tried a few (Box, Dropbox, Google Drive etc) and Skydrive was the only one that would do everything I wanted on my PC and mobile. You also get more space than you do with Dropbox.

What would that be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570