Prediction League - Match day 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
:038: Negative comments far outweighing the positive so far. I did it here as a tester but the way the feedback is going it'll never be done again. Which saves me time. So good.

My view is that this version of the PL is too labour intensive if you want to do well at it. I don't feel like I'm actually predicting, I'm searching for points. It's not the same thing. One or two punts coming in will succeed over ten winners and that can't be right. I think I'm probably in the majority in not giving a flying feck about Cockfosters chances in the FA Cup this weekend. But if my opponent takes a punt on 'them', that could finish me irrespective of my success at picking winners in the Championship/Premier League.

I saw your points list attached to the teams just now and thought, at last, some sense. Football isn't about studying spreadsheets. I do take the point that it will probably lead to most people picking the same teams but isn't that where this format was heading anyway?

Just my thoughts. I think it's an innovative and interesting experiment with some pretty basic issues that need addressing. The fundamental of me measuring my ability against someone else's, to pick the winner of Bolton against Leeds, is missing.

too labour intensive if you want to do well at it.

No it's not. Up until week 7, when there were no league games, all I did was look at the fixtures list. I didn't look at league tables or spreadsheets at all. I'm doing alright. Maybe if the only football you pay attention to is the Premier League and Leicester you need to do a bit of work, but if you take interest in the rest of the league it should be fairly easy to pick out some good teams.

No it's not. Up until week 7, when there were no league games, all I did was look at the fixtures list. I didn't look at league tables or spreadsheets at all. I'm doing alright. Maybe if the only football you pay attention to is the Premier League and Leicester you need to do a bit of work, but if you take interest in the rest of the league it should be fairly easy to pick out some good teams.
Add to that the fun in finding out a bit about teams like King's Lynn Town and Tom' Tomsk who I definitely didn't know the tiniest little thing about before.

Last edited:
Yep, 'fraid so BM.....takes the fun and skill out of the research :(
You'll all be delighted to hear that the experiments are over :thumbs_up this was the last thing I wanted to trial, and it appears to have flopped - much as I hoped it would.

You'll all be delighted to hear that the experiments are over :thumbs_up this was the last thing I wanted to trial, and it appears to have flopped - much as I hoped it would.
Not BN

My view is that this version of the PL is too labour intensive if you want to do well at it. I think I'm probably in the majority in not giving a flying feck about Cockfosters chances in the FA Cup this weekend.

A quick glance at my 'goal scored' column will show that it's not necessary to even consider seeking out minor leagues/teams at home or abroad to get the points.

Latest:

In Group A, the no-showers so far are the usuals plus Blaby blue blood and part-timer Macky.

Bobbins has scored 57 so far in his walkover match, with another 26 possible tomorrow.

camberwell fox v SJN was tight, but SJN has just squeezed past 55-51.

pork pie fox leads 74-14 in his match with fox58, who only has 36 available to him tomorrow.

foxybru was two away from the century mark in his match with RotherhamFox93, who finished on a limp 46.

In Group B, only the usuals have failed to turn in. jb5000 arrived as I was typing this.

beaumontfox scores over 50 for just the second time, but it's not enough to beat Jeff, who gets a cool 75.

Blue Maniac beats Dunmow Jr 69-50, with 61 points coming from Atherstone Town's draw with Redditch United.

LCFC'sGodWears9 leads Brown Nose 71-38, with another 35 possible tomorrow.

Dorset Fox leads GazLCFC 63-38, with only another 9 available to Gaz tomorrow.

jas123 and bocadillo both have a result to come tomorrow, but this one is over as a contest - jas taking his third defeat of the season as boc sneaks above him in the table.

Motown Fox top scores so far with 118, with Bootle's draw at Worksop scoring him a massive 51.

give_us_a_wave has 49 in his walkover, with a possible nine more tomorrow.

Mawsley and glyn are neck and neck at 32, but Southampton could win it for glyn tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669