Protests in the US

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I’ve been reluctant to use it, unlike the block button when I still used Facebook. But when someone only ever pops up every now and then to post something pointless, stupid or racist, it’s really easy.
I’m not on Facebook, Twitter, instagram etc etc, so don’t have this issue normally. I totally understand what you’re saying, but I’d still rather see the post, even if it’s just to reaffirm my view.

I am stunned. Some of the comments in this thread are ill educated at best and utterly disgusting at worst. Ignorance is no excuse for being bigoted. Part of me wants to see this thread binned as I would rather not believe some people on here are so blinkered but then there is another part of me that thinks it's important such attitudes are opposed.

I don't give a shit who sleeps with who, I object to it being celebrated and rammed down our throats at every turn in order to (normalise) it. IT IS NORMAL, but I don't want or need to celebrate it. I don't need a grey rainbow painted outside my house because I only sleep with women, why do other ''groups'' feel the need for this to be so OVERT?

Nobody has asked or made you paint a bloody grey rainbow outside your house though, have they? Nobody is ramming it down your throat, are they? Nobody is asking you to celebrate it. What they want is the right to be able to celebrate it themselves because of, you know, centuries of oppression, imprisonment, mental and physical abuse and all that jazz because of who they loved.

I can't even respond to the use of air quotes for groups, which, if anything, proves the need for the debate.

Nobody has asked or made you paint a bloody grey rainbow outside your house though, have they? Nobody is ramming it down your throat, are they? Nobody is asking you to celebrate it. What they want is the right to be able to celebrate it themselves because of, you know, centuries of oppression, imprisonment, mental and physical abuse and all that jazz because of who they loved.

I can't even respond to the use of air quotes for groups, which, if anything, proves the need for the debate.
Errrr, I think you referred to ''groups'' in your post Matt?

Well, I know perfectly I'm not racist, thank you very much, 'cos I know lots of black people

Well not lots but I definitely know one.

Well I don't know him that well - he just runs the Post Office down the road. Not sure of his name but he's definitely from Pakistan.

Or maybe India, or somewhere round there

I've always known them as air quotes, used to symbolise something isn't what it says it is.
Matt. Matt. Mate.

Mate.

Mate.

They’re air quotes when you make them with your fingers. In the air. When they’re in text they’re just... quotes.

Recent posts in this thread are utterly depressing.

Everyone is so sure of their interpretation and determined to spit venom at those that dare to hold a contrary viewpoint. The superiority of the certain. Pitching their tent on their right side of history and sneering at those across the way.

I know I haven't helped. I was trying to move away from how things are in America and focus on what I see as unwise and disproportionate reactions in the UK. What a waste of time that was.

All I'd add is that, whilst I cannot speak for anyone else, I'm not ill informed. I have had many relevant personal experiences and I have listened to a wide range of views. I understand your argument and why you hold it because once upon a time I shared it. All I can say is that assuming ignorance and ugly belittling is really unpleasant and completely counter-productive.

It might feel like you're carrying the world with you on these things but you're really not. And you will never get anywhere until you learn to engage more effectively to understand why you're not.

Forgive the terminology but this really isn't the black and white issue you make it out to be.

.... what I see as unwise and disproportionate reactions in the UK......
Exactly. You may well see them as unwise and disproportionate, but that doesn't make it the case. Because you think something, doesn't make it a fact. I can see why many of those protesting don't see what they are doing as disproportionate at all when compared with what they and their families have had to put up with for generations. I'm only surprised we haven't seen more civil unrest sooner in the wake of the Windrush scandal and other such abhorrent treatment of certain minority groups.

Exactly. You may well see them as unwise and disproportionate, but that doesn't make it the case. Because you think something, doesn't make it a fact. I can see why many of those protesting don't see what they are doing as disproportionate at all when compared with what they and their families have had to put up with for generations. I'm only surprised we haven't seen more civil unrest sooner in the wake of the Windrush scandal and other such abhorrent treatment of certain minority groups.

There are no facts here, just opinions. On that maybe we can agree.

Just so I'm clear. Does this mean that you approve of some people alive now being held responsible for crimes committed before they were born at the same time that you approve of some people alive now being held not responsible for crimes they are committing right now?

You're right, of course. Holding people accountable for history crimes is always a bad idea. I'd probably give Saville his knighthood back if he were alive, or let Weinstein go, or Cosby.

You're getting annoyed by something that didn't happen and that you have absolutely no idea about, because it didn't happen. He killed a black guy. He had 18 previous complaints of abuse, it would be very interesting to see what for.

And here with have the obligatory intolerance. Nothing needs to be said about this, it says it all for you.

The rest is just more speculative bollocks based on nothing more than your own outrage.
Just for your benefit Matt I have absolutely zero outrage & am perfectly happy watching this farce from a far.

Everybody’s so angry these days

Or so offended by everything

Or so unprepared to listen to anyone elses opinion

Or so blindingly vile and bigoted it makes my toes curl

Or virtue signalling before they’ve even thought about what the real issues are

Or so completely, and violently ignorant of the fact that some people can be dreadfully affected by things that don’t directly affect them

It’s all very depressing

Just stop being ****s, the lot of you

Be kind

Perhaps you should ask yourself why they may be so angry. I am not suggesting that there aren’t some who are there purely for the thrill of thuggery but many of these protesters feel genuinely angry and disenfranchised right now and I can’t say that I blame them.
Disenfranchised? How come?

Just stop being ****s, the lot of you

That's a a line from a Disney movie innit?

But, yes, I agree in spirit. Debates seem to get polarized; battle lines drawn, side selected and tent pitched. And then people from both sides go for the throat. Listening is not common, it falls by the side as a jackbooted attack is preferred.

I'm not saying we can't disagree but do we have to be so aggressive with it? We don't need to love each other exactly but, yes, stop being so twatish in disagreeing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566