Ranieri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blaarev

Some interesting insight to Ranieri's time in Monaco from the man who hired him back then. Norwegian Tor-Kristian Karlsen was the Sporting Director in Monaco at the time. Here are his words about Ranieri after yesterday's match (Google translated from tv2.no)

- Ranieri is a lot tougher than people think
It betrays Tor-Kristian Karlsen, who staff the Italian in Monaco.

In England, he was branded as "The Tinkerman" because of frequent changes in the Chelsea team. In Italy, he is best known for its warm and charismatic nature.

But behind closed doors is Claudio Ranieri (63) a completely different man, says Tor-Kristian Karlsen.

- The biggest misconception people sitting with is that he is supposed to be a grandfather-like type. Preserved, he is very charismatic and sociable, but faced with the players he's a completely different person.

Tor-Kristian Karlsen know the Italian better than most. As sports director in Monaco was Karlsen who interviewed Ranieri to coach position. It was also Karlsen who went on to hire him in 2012.

The former Monaco director is anything but surprised that Leicester standing with six points in two Premier League matches.

- No. I am not at all surprised. I had initially thought that he, after this long and glorious career, would have been appropriate for a bigger club. For example, Newcastle or Sunderland, where the pressure is high and the need for strong leadership is even greater. Instead he went to a club where most so far was on care already.

Karlsen aiming to Leicester ended last season fantastically well and thus had a good basis for further success. And Karlsen think it will come:

- I think they're going to make enough to keep the place, which after all is also their goal.

Many raised eyebrows when Leicester chose to hire the Italian. The contrast was namely large, at least apparently, between Ranieri and the man he took over.

Nigel Pearson was best known for an authoritarian style of leadership and occasionally ufin tone to the surroundings. Ranieri, however, had the reputation of being a far milder type

- He is often supportive to young players who need it, but they must fly on their own as soon as they've got wings. The impression many are holding is that Ranieri enjoying themselves in the sun with champagne and oysters, but he works extremely hard and require track around it. I remember he had several weeks worth of vacation when he called me every morning to discuss the plans. Eventually I had to say 'look, we need to take a meeting and gathering up all these thoughts. "

In Italy Ranieri, as a professional, has been associated with a good ability to "tighten loose screws" and put in place the basic structure of the teams he leads. It is also Karlsens viewpoint.

- It is claimed that he was trying very much different and rotates unnecessarily in the team, but I feel it is misguided. It's about that he would like to use some time to find the right types, become familiar with the strength of character and get the desired balance of the team. Purely tactical, he is quite Italian in the sense that the team is well organized defensively. For example, he is not known for distinctly offensive defensemen or playing center-backs. For Ranieri's all about exploiting unbalance the opponent and punish them quickly and brutally in the longitudinal direction.

Human Identifier Ranieri
Despite having great confidence in Ranieri's tactical skills are Karlsen still far more concerned person Ranieri. The person many people associate with a warm smile and a slightly nasal voice, but Karlsen associate with great cleverness.

- Ranieri is an incredible human being knows. He knows all the time where the shoe pinches in the environment. If there is something that needs to be corrected in the group of players, so he knows how it must be done.

Karlsen offers an example of how Ranieri handled such a problem when they worked together in Monaco.

We had a couple of "problem children" in the squad. Especially one player almost always came too late for training, but because he performed well in combat, it was not so easy to do something about it. As director of the club I had ever player to multiple calls, but we could not quite to fix the issue. And while the group of players began to turn against the player and doubts Ranieri's leadership, he chose to be silent.

- Ranieri said nothing and seemed to tolerate the behavior. But suddenly, when the transfer window opened, disappeared player head out of the club and a replacement came in. Instead of being controlled sense he took a pragmatic attitude which benefited the team. And the group of players took the signal. It was for me very impressive leadership.

Having coached big clubs like Napoli, Fiorentina, Valencia, Atletico Madrid, Chelsea, Juventus, Roma, Inter and Monaco, it is now Leicester City will apply. Where he has so far been very successful. Kant Player Riyad Mahrez currently stands as the top scorer in the Premier League and has been particularly important.

- He is the ideal player for Ranieri. Ranieri love players who are both directly and has pace with the ball at his feet. In addition, he has a little devil in him. As Ranieri himself, grinning Karlsen.

Preserved, he is very charismatic and sociable, but faced with the players he's a completely different person.

I'm thinking of formaldehyde after that statement!

'The human identifier' is a far better nickname than 'the tinkerman'

People don't look deep enough at characters like Ranieri, I studied his record in detail when he was close to signing and this is the reason I was happy with the appointment, some people look at age and his record with Greece and write him off too easily.

I can tell already he has a great eye for tactical weakness, his subs yesterday were perfect, his changes negated the opposition, that is the class that in my opinion sets him apart from other names mentioned (Lennon ffs)

The real question is how we negotiate the middle to late stage of the season, his teams have often began the campaign well and later faded.

You can see his intelligence beneath the warm persona he portrays to the media, you can see his desire remains, if you can't then look at his reaction to our 2nd yesterday.

I like the chap

Well, Under PeaSoup I thought that we were at a high point. One of those rare times when you feel that 'Yes, this is really a good time for Leicester City.' What a mess though to sack a great manager, just when we're going well.

Wow! I can't take it in how good things are seeming now. Not just the results but the performance of the players - I'm spending a lot of time with a silly smile on my face when watching MOTD or seeing the Prem Table.

This O'Ranieri bloke is wonderful.

As a professional pessimist though, It'll never last - surely.

Well, Under PeaSoup I thought that we were at a high point. One of those rare times when you feel that 'Yes, this is really a good time for Leicester City.' What a mess though to sack a great manager, just when we're going well.

Wow! I can't take it in how good things are seeming now. Not just the results but the performance of the players - I'm spending a lot of time with a silly smile on my face when watching MOTD or seeing the Prem Table.

This O'Ranieri bloke is wonderful.

As a professional pessimist though, It'll never last - surely.

Don't forget we went higher under Taylor than we ever had under MON and that didn't have a happy ending!

Not that I am in the anti-CR camp, I like the guy and really impressed with what he's done so far and I think we are the real deal - but just a thought I had earlier about the last time we were top.

People don't look deep enough at characters like Ranieri, I studied his record in detail when he was close to signing and this is the reason I was happy with the appointment, some people look at age and his record with Greece and write him off too easily.

I can tell already he has a great eye for tactical weakness, his subs yesterday were perfect, his changes negated the opposition, that is the class that in my opinion sets him apart from other names mentioned (Lennon ffs)

The real question is how we negotiate the middle to late stage of the season, his teams have often began the campaign well and later faded.

You can see his intelligence beneath the warm persona he portrays to the media, you can see his desire remains, if you can't then look at his reaction to our 2nd yesterday.

I like the chap
Careful Lako your getting sensible.

Not sure if others will agree but in the first 2 games we have looked tactically aware. I know HUTH has helped and the impact of having that old fella in the middle last season has probably helped the players move up a step but I really do think Ranieri has added the tactical know how into the team. The way we played out the second half yesterday by his changes and the players slowing the tempo down was right out of Italian football.

Early doors but he's a breath of fresh air compared to the previous miserable git. Time will tell if the form is an after effect of the Pearson regime or signs that Claudio has taken us to the next level.

The set pieces, especially, appear miles better than in previous years. The substitutions, too, have been spot on. And, yes, there have been one or two tactical things he's done that Pearson would never have tried. His use of Albrighton has been especially pleasing.

Critically we already have as many wins this year as we had at Xmas last season and we've picked up 6 points and 6 goals in games we got 1 point and no goals from last season.

All in all a hugely encouraging start.

Critically we already have as many wins this year as we had at Xmas last season and we've picked up 6 points and 6 goals in games we got 1 point and no goals from last season.

Are allowed to count this as "progress" or does progress only count when we've won the league and beaten these sides 5 times in a row?

Are allowed to count this as "progress" or does progress only count when we've won the league and beaten these sides 5 times in a row?
We'll have to wait for a couple of losses before the boo-boys crawl out of the woodwork and tell us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669