Reid, Royle or Souness

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because he wants us to think we aren't just going for sloppy seconds. If we had approached another club then the media would have got wind of it from either us or them.

He said last time people on his list were with clubs, i'm not buying it.

Spot on.

Managers who are doing well and who we would want - are unlikely to be keen on the move.

Milan is in a difficult situation now and needs a lucky throw of the dice this time. The Wigan post has become vacant at a bad time for us......but it was to have been expected and no doubt Souness has been waiting for that option to consider.

I don't see any need to make a decision this week. Another manager has gone today and things will continue to shift about. As far as I'm concerned, nobody is likely to be able to do a better job than Burrows and Taggart in the next couple of games (before the International break) so why make a decision now?

Of the 3 names in the Merc, Reid and Royle would be horrid. Absolutely shocking. I know someone who knows Souness's son so I've always known a bit about him. He became a totally different character (chilled out) when he had his heart troubles. However, I think he was a better manager when he was wild.

Royle, Souness, Reid - in that order.

Wouldnt mind Royle, would hate to see the other 2. I've got a feeling Milan will just get an unemployed manager in, and pocket the £300K from Megson.

I fear the silly old sod will pick the worst of the three cos hes useless at picking management....... worse than me picking horses.

Was told at the weekend that Jewell had priced himself out of the job, but in this mad mad world of Football who knows anything when it comes down to successful management of clubs, only two or three have shown they are the enlightened ones, and they have spent mega-millions in that pursuit

I don't think they're such bad candidates, although there is some evidence that older managers struggle greatly after prolonged periods out of the game. Joe Royle has an excellent record overall, full of promotions and with plenty of success in the Premiership, he traditionally plays attacking football, I don't think we can be too put off by him. Sounness also has a decent record, although both he and Peter Reid also have plenty of worrying blots on their copy books. In truth, the difference between these guys and Jewell is that they are proven to be fallible.

If Jewell won't come due to finances then that's disgraceful, but I doubt it. Were it to be true we'd have to look very serious at Milan, who blocked moves for Job and another player just before Megson left on financial grounds. We'd have to wonder where the money was going and why he wasn't putting more money into the club. Realistically though, what makes us think that he was ever in the frame? Does someone know something I don't? I heard there were three employed managers and three unemployed in the frame. Presumably Reid, Royle and Sounness account for the three unemployed, and therefore Jewell was never even considered.

My suspicion is that Milan will have to stumble across the right man, if he ever finds him, because he presently seems unlikely to make a considered decision with an eye to the future, which caters for the fans and the current playing staff.

I'm quite up for Souness, he might give us the kick up the arse we need. Very experienced aswell, feel the players may respond to someone with such a history in the game. By far the best option out of Royle and Reid!!

If we get Peter Reid, I am going to sign the transfer papers and become a Forest fan!!

Utterly uninspired by the lot. Would welcome Mike Newell with open arms in the face of these three.

Just found this on the BBC:

Leicester close in on new manager

Leicester have interviewed Joe Royle, Peter Reid and Graeme Souness for the manager's job and the appointment could be made by Saturday.

BBC Sport understands chairman Milan Mandaric is keen to put the new man in charge before this weekend's visit to Preston to resurrect their season.

The Foxes lost a lead and dropped two points at Colchester on Saturday, which left them 14th in the Championship.

And that may be the end for caretaker bosses Frank Burrows and Gerry Taggart.

The pair have been in temporary charge since Martin Allen left the club in August - just three months into his contract after joining from MK Dons.

Gary Megson was then appointed but stayed just six weeks before taking over as manager of Bolton Wanderers.

None of the three candidates to take over are currently in managerial positions.

Royle's last job was at Ipswich and ended in May 2006, while Souness' reign as Newcastle manager finished in February 2006 and Reid left Coventry in January 2005.

Neil Warnock had been linked with the Leicester post but he was recently installed as Crystal Palace boss, while former Wigan manager Paul Jewell is another who is believed to have been considered by Madaric.

:icon_roll :icon_roll

Utterly uninspired by the lot. Would welcome Mike Newell with open arms in the face of these three.

Well according to BBC Sport its one of these 3 that is going to get the job.

If it is Peter Reid i think that is the worst appointment we can make

Joe Royal no thank you

Souness i would take cause he has done well with blackburn when they were in this division and he had some good players there he brought in.

Is he?

His win percentage in the English game is lower than Reid's and Royle's.

He's been out of management longer than Royle.

What makes you think he'd be any better?

It's based on my instinct that he has more miles left in his managerial tank than the other two.

I also think that Joe Royle comes across as a decent bloke but probably too soft for what is required. Whilst Peter Reid gives me the impression of being a bust flush.

Souness appears a nastier piece of work and I think that's what we need to kick start the football at The Walkers.

None of them would be ideal....but we are not in an ideal situation. But it's just my guess.

Royle for me, can't stand Souness. He is hated amongst the Newcastle fans as well.

I wasn't aware that popularity amongst Newcastle fans was a criterion for this post.

Next time Newcastle have a vacancy perhaps they will take into consideration whose popular or not amongst Leicester fans - I think I would like that.

Souness appears a nastier piece of work and I think that's what we need to kick start the football at The Walkers...
But Souness has a history of problems with players.

His decline at Liverpool maps to the rise in Premiership cash for players and his inability to control the more feisty elements of his changing room.

This weakness persisted after this point and led to a number of run-ins.

I do wonder if there is another way to instill some form of discipline in our side other than a lot of shouting and lobbing teacups at them.

Problem is that they're all busted flushes, which is why they're on the scrap heap ^H^H^H^H^H^H available. If we haven't got any bright young managers interested in taking forward a big club which is at its historically weakest point then we have a serious credibilty problem, and the buck has to stop at the chairman's door.

I wasn't aware that popularity amongst Newcastle fans was a criterion for this post.

Next time Newcastle have a vacancy perhaps they will take into consideration whose popular or not amongst Leicester fans - I think I would like that.

That might say something about his work there, which I think is relevant for this discussion.

mr souness plz milan

Last edited:
That might say something about his work there, which I think is relevant for this discussion.

I do realise that.

However, his work there is on the record as is his work at Blackburn....so we can make up our own minds without the wisdom of our Geordie friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669