released list

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the OS

Goalkeeper Ricardo is among 10 players that will leave Leicester City upon the completion of their existing contracts this summer.

Robert Ambrusics, Ashley Chambers, Nathan Hicks, Jorrin John, Craig King, Ben Milnes, Luke O'Neill, Aman Verma and Adi Yussuf will not be offered extensions to their current deals, which expire on June 30.

The Club would like to place on record its thanks to all 10 players for their hard work during their time with the Foxes and wish them well in the future.

A decision on the future of Aleksandar Tunchev, whose contract is also due to expire next month will be deferred until a later date. The Bulgarian defender has missed most of the last two years through injury, but will be invited to join the Foxes for pre-season training, having returned to action towards the end of the 2010/11 campaign.

Last edited:
All great names for the future.

Watch them soar now :icon_wink.

Hmmm. Leicester's 5-step strategy for bringing on young talent.

Academy, possibly with International callup
Kicking their heels with occasional reserve friendlies
Shipped out on loan
Released
Scrap heap.

Good job, City.

Last edited:
I have been slightly surprised that Luke O'Neill did not make the grade. In the pre-season game against Valencia (?) I thought he played very well.

There are few academy players reaching the first team these days for which I do not blame the academy staff - you cannot make a Stanley Matthews out of a Junior Lewis. The current situation in football is such that most really talented youngsters join the big clubs and if Man U do not spot a talented youngsters Arsenal or Liverpool will. Clubs like Leicester, Bolton and Forest may end up developing young players after they have left other academys as we did with Hobbs or as supporting clubs for the big six or seven (as with Naughton or a favourite loanee of mine Spearing)..

It would be interesting to know what proportion of Championship players of 22 or younger were on loan from bigger clubs. I am not sure about Heskey but I would expect that today a young Shilton or Lineker would have joined the academy of a big club.

I have been slightly surprised that Luke O'Neill did not make the grade. In the pre-season game against Valencia (?) I thought he played very well.

There are few academy players reaching the first team these days for which I do not blame the academy staff - you cannot make a Stanley Matthews out of a Junior Lewis. The current situation in football is such that most really talented youngsters join the big clubs and if Man U do not spot a talented youngsters Arsenal or Liverpool will. Clubs like Leicester, Bolton and Forest may end up developing young players after they have left other academys as we did with Hobbs or as supporting clubs for the big six or seven (as with Naughton or a favourite loanee of mine Spearing)..

It would be interesting to know what proportion of Championship players of 22 or younger were on loan from bigger clubs. I am not sure about Heskey but I would expect that today a young Shilton or Lineker would have joined the academy of a big club.

It's not necessarily that straight forward David. Players are limited as to how far they are allowed to travel depending on their age. As they get older they are allowed to travel greater distances to play for the Academy they are signed up to.

To be more specific (from The FA website):
4.2.3. Clubs must adhere to a one hour travelling time to the Academy for ages Under 9 years to Under 13. For age ranges Under 13 to Under 16, this is increased to 1.5 hours.

There are few academy players reaching the first team these days for which I do not blame the academy staff - you cannot make a Stanley Matthews out of a Junior Lewis. The current situation in football is such that most really talented youngsters join the big clubs and if Man U do not spot a talented youngsters Arsenal or Liverpool will. .

We seem to have a 20 year record of turning [possible] Stanley Matthews's into Junior Lewis's though.

This is not a traditional football area and we aren't a magnet for talent that's clear. The comparison I'd make is with Norwich and Southampton, smaller clubs with a conveyor belt of talent (and Ade), which probably eventually gets sold. Ok we've all imploded over the last few years, but I've a feeling their recovery will be swifter and more sustained than ours and growing your own is a big part of it.

Hmmm. Leicester's 5-step strategy for bringing on young talent.

Academy, possibly with International callup
Kicking their heels with occasional reserve friendlies
Shipped out on loan
Released
Scrap heap.

Good job, City.
None of the names on the list are particularly surprising. Sidekick has pointed out that Chamberlain, Moore, Bolger and Parkes aren't on the list.

None of the names on the list are particularly surprising. Sidekick has pointed out that Chamberlain, Moore, Bolger and Parkes aren't on the list.

Were any of them ever on professional deals or just youth deals?

Were any of them ever on professional deals or just youth deals?
I think Chamberlain may have been on pro terms. Parkes and Bolger I believe must be because (I think) only players on senior contracts can be loaned. Why should that make a difference though? Youth contracts expire too.

I think Chamberlain may have been on pro terms. Parkes and Bolger I believe must be because (I think) only players on senior contracts can be loaned. Why should that make a difference though? Youth contracts expire too.

It doesn't make any difference I was just wondering how many of these youth players we actually waste professional deals on before letting them go.

Leicester really do have an absolutely woeful record of producing youth players in recent years. I've always felt that when Levein changed the academy he completely missed the point of why it should be there and the academy is just set up to win things, rather than to actually produce players.

It doesn't make any difference I was just wondering how many of these youth players we actually waste professional deals on before letting them go.

Leicester really do have an absolutely woeful record of producing youth players in recent years. I've always felt that when Levein changed the academy he completely missed the point of why it should be there and the academy is just set up to win things, rather than to actually produce players.
Oh, you meant the released players rather than those retained. The answer is all of them were on pro terms.

And I entirely agree; our academy seems set up to win games at youth level rather than preparing the lads for senior football. Massive difference.

Last edited:
It's not necessarily that straight forward David. Players are limited as to how far they are allowed to travel depending on their age. As they get older they are allowed to travel greater distances to play for the Academy they are signed up to.

To be more specific (from The FA website):
4.2.3. Clubs must adhere to a one hour travelling time to the Academy for ages Under 9 years to Under 13. For age ranges Under 13 to Under 16, this is increased to 1.5 hours.

Interesting that this reason seems to be reasoning why Middlesbrough and Ipswich have been so successful recently. I think Plymouth have a high turnover of selling prospects at a young age.

Interesting that this reason seems to be reasoning why Middlesbrough and Ipswich have been so successful recently. I think Plymouth have a high turnover of selling prospects at a young age.

Perhaps it's more a case of Boro etc having a better intake of players....just a thought.

Release isn't the end for a player, if it was Andy King would have ended his career when released by Chelsea at 15. Gives a player a chance to rebuild at a new club if he is good enough.

Seems like the problem with the academy is they pick the biggest strongest players. Thats ok when their 13-16 etc but after that, things like that even out, and its the ones with technical ability who are more likely to make the grade at the higher levels. Clearly needs to be a huge rethink-Stearman and Mattock are the only players who have come through our academy after joining at a young age in recent years, and its not a coincidence both are defenders.

Would also be interesting to know who SGE has told can look for another clubs.

Lamey is one, presumably Neilsen and Yann are others?! I guess Howard could go for a price, likewise Berner.

:102:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670