Remember the Doog,

Status
Not open for further replies.
May I send my sincere Condolences to the family of Derek Dougan. He was A great player for us and will surely be remembered fondly by a lot of us older fans for all the good things in our great game and his good service to our club which in my opinion was not long enough.

Last edited:
Re: Remeber the Doog,

:icon_sad:
RIP

46 goals in 76 games.....

Last edited:

This was the bloke that made me start supporting City. As a then-Middlesbrough fan, I had been going to Filbert Street for about a year with a school-mate - and supporting the away team just to upset him. Then in January 1966, I went to Villa Park and stood with the City fans on the Holte End for the 3rd round FA Cup tie. As they raised their arms in that mock-Nazi salute and bayed "Dooooog" every time he went near the ball, I found myself joining in. I was infected - and have been ever since.

I owe a greater part of the person I have become to Derek Dougan. It's true that he wasted a great part of his later life. But I shall always remember him.

Derek Dougan - the Doog - RIP

Last edited:

How did he go? Has he been ill?

RIP, and I don't think it inappropriate to say...

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOG!!!

One of our best ever buys, and worst ever sales.

Aye Aye AyeAye
Banks is better than Yashin
And Dougan is better than Eusebio
And Man U are in for a thrashin'

One of our better home grown songs

RIP for a real footballer who had the best interests of the game in his heart.

If only we had players with his heart nowadays.

My Dad just told me about his incredible scoring rate and growing up with him as a City player. Made Saturday afternoons very enjoyable.

(to the tune of 'The Happy Wanderer')

I saw the Doog and the Doog saw me
We brought him out of Division Three
He scored the goals that made us great
But now he's gone away.
Over the Midlands to Molineux,
There Derel Dougan started anew,
Still scoring goals - but not for us
Dougan for evermore!

... except that now he's gone a little further away!

I used to go with 5 or 6 of my mates in those days and all we would chant was "Dooooooog" everytime he touch the ball. Met him on a few occasions and he was as charismatic of the field as he was on it. Always had time to speak to you, and was not shy in returning a round of drinks when in your company. Compared to the player of today, in fact there is no comparison to the player of today. RIP Derek, you won't be forgotten here.

First Leicester game I ever saw (v West Brom 1966), not only was Dougan playing for us he scored and we won and I was hooked. So rest in peace 'Doog' and thanks for the memories.

How did he go? Has he been ill?

RIP, and I don't think it inappropriate to say...

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOG!!!

Said to have been a sudden death at his home in Wolverhampton.

They always say penalties are the worst way to go out

:icon_wink:icon_redf

apologies

No need to apologise. It made me smile - I needed that after simply being stunned to hear of his death.

Doog's last season at city was my first as a regular, i still remember the buzz around the ground when the ball came to him and there haven't been that many players in the subsequent years that have turned up the volume in the stadium by their shear presence alone, a true fans favourite.

A sad time, but brought back many happy memories of Filbert St. Thank you for that Derek. The passing of yet another "real" player.

Dougan was probably the most charismatic player to have appeared for Leicester.

A great talent that had been misused and we picked him up from Peterborough for I think £40k.

His sale to Wolves was a massive disappointment - and I think a major misjudgement by the club.

I think I recall that his first appearance at Leicester was in a pre-season friendly which attracted a seriously big crowd mainly drawn by his name. Also appearing was Jackie Sinclair - a fine winger signed from Dunfermline who used to crack in fierce crosses to exploit the Doog's ariel ability.

Very sad to hear the news.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670