Remembrance Fixture

Status
Not open for further replies.

I specifically made a very clear point of highlighting my personal respect for the actions of those that served in the first and second world wars. I solemnly observed a two minute silence on Monday and I ensured that my teenage daughter (with poppy) understood why she was doing the same at her school.

This. For me it's always been the two minutes silence on Remembrance Sunday and a simpler acknowledgement on Armistice Day the 11th - and that's it. It has been thus ever since as a young child in the 1950s I recall being brought out from the Sunday morning chapel service to stand at the village war memorial and see what seemed to be very old men (WW1 veterans who would have been several years younger than the age I am now) standing to attention and openly weeping - which struck me as odd and incredibly upsetting - the Last Post was played and we dispersed. No palaver at all then.

I believe the ramping up of the Remembrance season started with the 40th anniversary D-Day celebrations in 1984. Reagan was seeking re-election, Thatcher was basking in the Falklands afterglow and it was claimed that it would be the last time the veterans would be able to take part before old age death and infirmity made such gatherings too difficult, rather than baser political motives!

I think it's important to focus on the "remembrance"bit.

There are elements of the day that have more than a hint of Americanisation about it, these days and I think it's that part of it that almost feel a bit too commercial, to me.

However, I try to let those bits be, as at least it serves to stop people forgetting the day entirely.

BN of course I was selective. I was answering your comment Weirdly, we make many players of nationalities whose families we killed in conflicts Robin 127 has rightly pointed out that although we defended Turkey in 1854 Soyuncu may have lost relatives in 1915
I was selective in confining myself to the four European wars pointing out that I am not qualified to comment on African or Asian. History
If I had not been selective I would have answered all your many points. However, I believe it is one of the unwritten rules of the forum that members should never post, on topics they do not understand. I was selective because I know nothing about the finances of the British Legion, do not understand the maintenance of helicopters and until your post was unaware of the heroic qualities of quantity surveyors.

I was selective because I know nothing about the finances of the British Legion

Most don't. It's the elephant in the room. Military charities hoard obscene levels of unrestricted reserves. The RBL aren't the worst but perhaps when the veterans are off the street then the income reduces? Who knows.

Both my parents were in the forces during the Second World War. They had very little time for the RBL.

...I believe it is one of the unwritten rules of the forum that members should never post, on topics they do not understand.

Well, that's a new one for me! If taken seriously then the post frequency is going to fall off a cliff (and that's coming from me who knows very little about falling off cliffs).

Well, that's a new one for me! If taken seriously then the post frequency is going to fall off a cliff (and that's coming from me who knows very little about falling off cliffs).
Indeed. I think the evidence suggests that if there is any rule, it is exactly the opposite.

I agree mostly but on the other hand thank god we're not in the NFL. I couldn't bear to watch or listen to the vomit inducing militarism on display last weekend. Coaching staff in camo gear??? ****ing hell. Goes on all month as well apparently. blocks of tickets given to service personnel but only if you turn up in full uniform & all stand together. Fabulous recruiting tool for sending skint teenagers off to die in some desert.
Hopefully we won't end up like that.

As for remembrance. I remember my grandad who was gassed in WW1. I also remember the government who refused him a medical discharge & the pension that went with it due to him being in hospital when the war ended. So according to them he was just demobbed like everyone else. Despite years of doctors reports stating that the respiratory problems that plagued him all his life & eventually killed him at 61 were undeniably caused by the gas attack. Never a ****ing penny. It affected the work he could do & basically ruined his (much shortened) life.

So...I'll remember. But what I won't do is acknowledge any of the scumbag politicians or corrupt institutions that try to make political or monetary capital out of it. That includes the RBL, who never gave grandad George any ****ing help either despite easily being able to.

I shall add my ha'p'orth. I did 20 something in the forces and I don't buy a poppy - ever. I quietly sob in a corner for people I shan't see again. BN's post strikes many chords with me - remembrance is an extremely personal experience and, I believe, putting on an act just because it can be done demeans the whole thing. We glorify the wrong thing - someone who served 1 day can now be called a veteran and a hero (this ties in with the post above this one). I have done things I am fiercely proud of, yet I am not a hero just because I don't abandon my principles of humanity during adversity. I have seen many portraits of VC holders, though I have only met one in Hong Kong in 1972, and what strikes is the modesty and humility that goes with these real heroes. The preening show that has become so commonplace (why do newsreaders have to wear poppies and if they don't they get pilloried?) does, in my humble opinion, a disservice to those we should remember, their sacrifices and the horrors they endured, while in some sordid way glorifying our own sadness and compassion.

The "me" generation that rose from the Thatcher years, the little Britain mentality requires us to feel someone else's pain more keenly than our neighbour or even the injured party themself. I would be happy if we could put this all back into the dark box whence it came. Forgive my cynicism - this has struck a chord and I couldn't let it pass, though I wanted it to.

Those that never served or are not of the generation that did serve can never understand the true horrors of war. My late father in law who was involved in Dunkirk and in the first wave of the D-Day landings onto Gold Beach rarely spoke about much of what happened except some of the few lighter bits, such as the effects of a dodgy homemade curry in the confined space of a small tank that you cannot leave! He did say that most war films are nothing like the real thing, but that the first 20 minutes of Saving Private Ryan came closer to what it felt like to be under continuous fire.
Many years ago when some gobby youths behind me were deriding the old soldiers proudly marching around the King Power stadium at half-time, I reminded them that if it were not for the efforts and sacrifices of those guys, they would probably now be watching City playing in the 7th tier of the Bundesliga!
Maybe Remembrance Day - Lest We Forget - serves to remind the snowflake generation not to take for granted the freedoms they and we all enjoy today.

Those that never served or are not of the generation that did serve can never understand the true horrors of war. My late father in law who was involved in Dunkirk and in the first wave of the D-Day landings onto Gold Beach rarely spoke about much of what happened except some of the few lighter bits, such as the effects of a dodgy homemade curry in the confined space of a small tank that you cannot leave! He did say that most war films are nothing like the real thing, but that the first 20 minutes of Saving Private Ryan came closer to what it felt like to be under continuous fire.
Many years ago when some gobby youths behind me were deriding the old soldiers proudly marching around the King Power stadium at half-time, I reminded them that if it were not for the efforts and sacrifices of those guys, they would probably now be watching City playing in the 7th tier of the Bundesliga!
Maybe Remembrance Day - Lest We Forget - serves to remind the snowflake generation not to take for granted the freedoms they and we all enjoy today.
Nothing ruins an argument more than referring to anything as "snowflake".

Both my parents were in the forces during the Second World War. They had very little time for the RBL.
The sentiments of my grand dad, gased out of ww1, long dead now, Needless to say Ive never bought, wore or promoted poppy sales. War is shite, people die. Football should promote peace, its a sport, Not the gory glory of the British establishment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4490
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4363