Sarwan Signs on for two more years

Status
Not open for further replies.

fox58

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/18794412

Sarwan signs until 2014

Josh Cobb has taken over as the one-day captain. Not a great start for him out for a duck against the Netherlands but a good bowling display saw us home by 33 runs as the bottom side beats the top:038:

Nice to get a win in any form, and good news in terms of Thornely and Sykes

Whilst Sarwan might not power us to the T20 I like the fact we have consistency in an overseas pro guaranteed for a couple of years. They can now focus their efforts on the rest of the side.

So Both Malik and Du Toit have been offered for loan to interested counties and will not be retained at the end of the season.

I must say that I can't remember seeing Malik bowl badly - just not stand out returns & has always been injury prone.

I'm wondering what sort of scenario could lead to Du Toit getting another county interested. Perhaps a collective condition of chronic amnesia and also a club deprived of access to digital and hard copy batting averages data.

Don't agree with the Malik decision who has 235 first class (4 day) wickets and experience in all forms. That leaves Leicestershire with a pace attack of Buck, Wyatt, Hoggard (near the end of his career), White, Joseph (not contracted and hit and miss) and Taylor (summer contract) In first class cricket (4 day) the only regular wicket takers in the pace bowling are Hoggard and White. None of those are great in one day cricket, though Taylor is showing signs of being ok.

Buck, Hoggard, White, Wyatt, Taylor, Joseph (who we don't know if he is staying yet?) Either Leicestershire are pinning all hope on the likes of Buck, Wyatt and Taylor to progress alot or they have ideas to bring in some fresh pace bowler/s.

Du Toit had one good season and several appaling seasons and was better at number 4/5 but struggled at 3. I thought he was overated in one day cricket and T20 and never really played well opening, only a couple of hundreds but lots and lots of failures. Du Toit like Smith had struggled alot this season in 4 day cricket, but Smith has a good England under 19s record behind him and is about 10 years younger.

Last edited:
I reckon Joseph and Wyatt won't be with us next year - Joseph's hardly played in one day cricket, which is where we'll need to focus if we're to reclaim the money we've lost, and Wyatt looks like another Sam Cliff to me. Also Henderson and Naik must be doubts. All of which is fine if we have plans to bring good players in, but our seam attack next year is to be Hoggard, Buck, Taylor and White then we'll be playing simply to avoid the wooden spoon in all forms once again.

As I understand it Naik has had an injury all season. His form of the last two seasons hopefully means he shouldn't be going anywhere if he recovers.

After seeing Joseph bowl only once, in his awful spell at Glamorgan, I'm quite glad he wasn't in the one day side but in general I suspect he has something to offer in the championship in the right conditions.

Last edited:
I would be surprised if Naik left Leicestershire who seem to think highly or him and plus Henderson is nearing the end of his playing career. They would need more in the spin department than just Sykes, who lacks experience in the first team. Naik has a proven record of taking wickets and is a useful lower order bat as well.

Joseph is hit and miss, so far this season he has played really well or bowled all over the place. I don't know much about Wyatt pace and variety wise.

Naik looked out of condition / over weight to me in April - before he was pronounced long term injured.

Henderson - sadly it happens to all sports professionals - this season has turned out to be one season too far. Does not detract from his years of outstanding service.

Joseph - doesn't seem to have played since gaining a contract.

Wyatt - bowled better on the odd oaccasion he has played/ I've seen him in last couple of seasons - not going to make a career in the game tho'

Much depends next season on Buck re-finding form. Bowled into the ground by county & Lions etc - he is now paying the price. It's all happened before - its just possible tho' unlikely that anyone will remember how Terry Spencer was turned from a strike bowler to a stock bowler through being over bowled, It happens.

I would agree on Naik, but the club has invested alot in him and he has a decent record to fall back on. They would need more than just Sykes in the spin department. Mommsen looks like a bits and pieces cricketer (maybe ok in limited overs etc) and not a frontline spinner.

Joseph has a contract until the end of the season (if recall).

Wyatt is 6"7 and has a better four day bowling average than Buck. Wyatt has never really been given a decent run and probably under bowled. Buck has been over bowled in the past and surely in four day cricket they could of played Wyatt in his place a few times.

Terry Spencers stats are impressive from what I have seen. Its not all about pace, Hoggard was sharp at his prime but no means put and out fast and Anderson is probably slower than of Broad, Bresnan, Finn etc.

Last edited:
Naik looked out of condition / over weight to me in April - before he was pronounced long term injured.

Henderson - sadly it happens to all sports professionals - this season has turned out to be one season too far. Does not detract from his years of outstanding service.

Joseph - doesn't seem to have played since gaining a contract.

Wyatt - bowled better on the odd oaccasion he has played/ I've seen him in last couple of seasons - not going to make a career in the game tho'

Much depends next season on Buck re-finding form. Bowled into the ground by county & Lions etc - he is now paying the price. It's all happened before - its just possible tho' unlikely that anyone will remember how Terry Spencer was turned from a strike bowler to a stock bowler through being over bowled, It happens.

I would agree on Naik, but the club has invested alot in him and he has a decent record to fall back on. They would need more than just Sykes in the spin department. Mommsen looks like a bits and pieces cricketer (maybe ok in limited overs etc) and not a frontline spinner.

Joseph has a contract until the end of the season (if recall).

Wyatt is 6"7 and has a better four day bowling average than Buck. Wyatt has never really been given a decent run and probably under bowled. Buck has been over bowled in the past and surely in four day cricket they could of played Wyatt in his place a few times.

Terry Spencer's stats are impressive from what I have seen. Its not all about pace, Hoggard was sharp at his prime but no means put and out fast and Anderson is probably slower than of Broad, Bresnan, Finn etc.

Henderson has been Leicestershire's most consistent bowler in all forms over several years.​

Last edited:
Thing is with Naik and also Jefferson, we always talk about "when he gets fit" - but if that day is not going to come, and with the likely size of our squad, then we'd be better off looking elsewhere. At the moment, particularly with Jefferson, I dare say we're paying a sizeable chunk of our wage budget to keep the treatment table warm.

I think you are being harsh on Naik - as far as I can recall this is his first significant injury, and you don't write someone off because of missing a few months through injury.

Jefferson on the other hand has been injury-prone since before he joined us, which is a real shame.

Naik has tweeted that he has bowled outside for the first time in ten weeks today, 8 weeks post-surgery

Also Wayne White is in the squad for tomorrow, so his punishment is over. And Paul Dixey too, bizarrely, I wonder if Ned will be playing as just a batsman at 3?

Thing is with Naik and also Jefferson, we always talk about "when he gets fit" - but if that day is not going to come, and with the likely size of our squad, then we'd be better off looking elsewhere. At the moment, particularly with Jefferson, I dare say we're paying a sizeable chunk of our wage budget to keep the treatment table warm.

Jigar got a 5-for on his comeback for the seconds yesterday. four for Sykes too. Expect to see Jigar back in the next CC side, given Henderson's lack of success this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669