Scowcroft says...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ELUR - CFCL

"I really think David will come good for this club. He has signed a three-year deal and I am sure he'll prove his worth.

"I have played with a few centre-forwards in my time and some good ones as well and David is as good as any of them.

"The chopping and changing since he arrived hasn't helped him but I can't speak highly enough of the lad and I hope the goals start to flow for him.

"The fans have been brilliant to him because it would been easy for them to get on his back."

Which loosely translated means "The guys job is to score and he is not doing that so far, please give him a bit longer before you give him any hassle!!!"

The question is how long will CL give him before the panic starts to creep in? Do you drop him and possibly knock his confidence or do you make him fight for his place by letting him know he is not an automatic pick? Do you go cap in hand for a striker to the board and make them question if there are serious about the play-off places?

What would you do in maybe two, three or four games time with no goal on the scoreboard from DC???

I would tell him that if he doesn't prove his worth to the team in the next few games then he'll be dropped as at the moment he is an automatic pick so he doesn't have to work to get into the team. We need him to work as he is probably the most vital part of our team as he is our only proper striker that's any good. I think he shoukd drop him soon.

i would hope levein has already gone cup in hand for more cash. Even if connely dont come good, we need another goal scorer

Michael Owen would struggle to score in this team up until now, the service has been just plain poor! Lets hope that changes and Connolly can prove his worth.

step said:
i would hope levein has already gone cup in hand for more cash. Even if CONNOLLY dont come good, we need another goal scorer

There is no money, high ranking official told me this...they are well over budget by having Taylor here.

The question was what would you do...?

Thanks Sam for your opinion.

So if Connolly fails to score in the next few games (and we all know there is no money as such...) what would you do...? Loan player? Drop Connolly play scowcroft up front and 5 midfielders? Beg for an advance on next season to get a striker in... or just leave connolly and say the service has been crap, do your best and hope he comes good???

I'd give the manager time to sort the team out. His focus has been mainly on defence. You must admit the service has been very poor. Scowy is a good example...On the right wing he was scoring goals, but now that he is up front he is having trouble! I honestly think if the midfield were doing their job properly (i.e. providing the front pair with chances) then Connolly would be scoring. He has been prolific everywhere he has been. You don't become that poor overnight...and I can see that he is a good player.

Stick with it and see what the manager can achieve...if we aren't soring in 3 weeks...change it then. However, it will have to be a striker that we already have. We got into a lot of trouble not too long ago for spending that which we don't have, and we are still suffering as we still owe a lot of creditors a lot of money!

SilverFox said:
Michael Owen would struggle to score in this team up until now, the service has been just plain poor! Lets hope that changes and Connolly can prove his worth.

Creatively, City haven't been the best under Adams but Connolly has still had stacks of chances (how many times has he hit the woodwork?) but has singularly failed to hit the net - even from the penalty spot.

I rather he roll em in, deflect em in, bundle em in (as Dickov did on so many occasions) than spectacularly miss em.

It may well be a spell he's having like other strikers, it might be he's trying too hard, perhaps he's short on belief it doesn't really matter. He's not scoring and City cannot go on with strikers not scoring.

Strikes me he's in the team because of the financial commitment made in getting him. Were his name Tommy Wright, would he still be in the side with his goals record? Would any centre-forward?

My first step would probably be to put him on the bench but it's a risk because (another huge mistake by Adams), there really isn't a natural foil for Scowcroft.

It really beggars belief.

Any manager of any team would start by making sure he has decent strikers and a decent spine to the team. If we've got a nippy sort of goalscorer among the reserves or academy contingent this is a perfect opportunity for them to make an impression.

He'd probably pinch a goal he'd remember all his life. Connolly would then come on as sub (all wound up) and he'd probably score which is so often the way things go in football...and all of a sudden we'd be raining goals.

Trouble is, if we haven't got a young, nippy goalscorer among the younger players that's another shortcoming that beggar's belief.

Could Lee Morris not play up front? or maybe I'm clutching at straws.I wouldn't be surprised to see Blake start tomorrow.

Scowcroft says "VOTE JOE_FOX"

Slippery Nipple.

Now I know why you guys are sitting with thousands of posts...

You ask a strategic football related question about the lack of goals from our recently purchased striker and you get some quality ideas/responses from some (thanks) and I am not sure from the others with many thousands of posts to their names!! Makes me wonder...!!!?

OOOOO it makes me wonder, like Led Zeppelin?

Joe - Another quality post to add to your tally!! Well done....

Are you considering posting your views on David Connolly and how you believe he should be managed going forward?

[n.b David Connolly plays for Leicester City by the way and his position is Centre Forward... I thought I would add this as I wasn't sure how much knowledge you had of LCFC looking at previous posts]

There is quite a simple answer to the Connolly question. Drop him. Drop him into an advanced midfield role behind a front pairing (unless you prefer to go Kamikaze and go three up front).

This move would immediately take the pressure off him and at the same time acknowledge his play making abilities. Unfortunately the options for the out and out striker slots are hardly inspiring - Dublin, Scowcroft, Blake, Morris etc.

Don't have quite the same ring about them as Deane, Ferdinand, Bent etc.

Sell him on. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670