Scum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't blaming political correctness such an easy get out nowadays.

Never mind the fact that the idea behind political correctness is making sure speech and the use of language isn't used to harm others, let's just generalise it and make is a scapegoat for getting rid of beating and being racist.

Beighton you sre being disingenuous. Political correctness was used in the USA as a movement to restrict opinions that liberals disliked. It was never just about actual terms. Being politically correct was used to denounce those termed "Dead White European Males".
It really is remarkable find politically correct people claiming to be scapegoats.

We are, of course, getting away from the topic. The vandals have been caught and have got away with it. Even if some of the comments about punishing them are tongue in cheek people have a right to be annoyed.

Beighton you sre being disingenuous. Political correctness was used in the USA as a movement to restrict opinions that liberals disliked. It was never just about actual terms. Being politically correct was used to denounce those termed "Dead White European Males".
It really is remarkable find politically correct people claiming to be scapegoats.

He isn't being disingenuous at all. The term 'politically correct' is just a meaningless badge, used pejoratively against anybody that doesn't subscribe to the type of ridiculous knee-jerk reactions that we've seen displayed in this thread.

The vandals have been caught and have got away with it.

In what way have they gotten away with it? I'm presuming that you don't know if the children's parents have further punished them?

Even if some of the comments about punishing them are tongue in cheek people have a right to be annoyed.

Of course people do have a right to be annoyed, but nobody has the right to assault a child. They're just small people.

I would much rather take the opinion of professionally trained psychologists as to how punishment works than "many" members of the general public who are completely uneducated in the matter.

Be that as it may, justice needs to be seen to be done by the great unwashed. Cherie Blairs lot will never understand that bit.

If I was 11 and got embarrassed in front of my parents, I'd never do it again

When I was 11 neither would I. Mind you that was 30 odd years ago and values have changed for the worse in that time.

Progress? Ha.

with some of these posts I thought I'd stumbled onto a Daily Mail forum

People can got too far to the left as well as too far to the right. Trouble is that each extreme cannot comprehend that they just might have gone too far one way.

We've carried out a serious examination of the issues. We concerned ourselves fundamentally with a statistical analysis of the problem as a whole, in tandem with and related to a psychochemical and behavioural analysis of over a thousand individual teenagers. And we came to the inevitable conclusion that the one course of action the authorities must take is....to cut off their goolies....Cut their goolies off

When I was 11 neither would I. Mind you that was 30 odd years ago and values have changed for the worse in that time.

Progress? Ha.

I don't buy that at all. Every generation of adults decries the youth and thinks that standards and values have gone to pot. That has been happening since the year dot.

The fact is, there have always been good and bad parents and kids are just a product of that.

I don't buy that at all. Every generation of adults decries the youth and thinks that standards and values have gone to pot. That has been happening since the year dot.

The fact is, there have always been good and bad parents and kids are just a product of that.

Well said.

OK, maybe it is purely a perception thing. Or an age thing as the older I get the more I look back to the past with a wistful sigh!

OK, maybe it is purely a perception thing. Or an age thing as the older I get the more I look back to the past with a wistful sigh!

Ner ner ner ner ner, you're getting old :icon_bigg

There are two interesting points here. You are right that older people always look at the past with rose-tinted glasses. To make the kind of wild generalisation I deplore in other people life is generally better than it was in say the 1950s.
There is a problem however. Too often the "rose tinted glasses" fact means that people can dismiss things that genuinely have deteriorated as just the older generation moaning.

As for good and bad parents there does seem to be a strong correlation between badly behaved children and badly behaved parents. Strangely however there are times when good parents produce badly behaved children. Thankfully there seem to be a larger number of cases where strangely the children of bad parents turn out well. Human beings are influenced by their environment but are not always trapped by it.

I realise that we are somewhat off topic and since we are (probably rightly) told nothing about the youngsters apart from their age we do not know about their parenting.

I would have liked to have seen some form of punishment somwhere inbetween saying sorry and having their goolies cut off. I would have thought some general cleaning duties such as sweeping the stadium or the car park would have been suffice.

There are two interesting points here. You are right that older people always look at the past with rose-tinted glasses. To make the kind of wild generalisation I deplore in other people life is generally better than it was in say the 1950s.
There is a problem however. Too often the "rose tinted glasses" fact means that people can dismiss things that genuinely have deteriorated as just the older generation moaning.

As for good and bad parents there does seem to be a strong correlation between badly behaved children and badly behaved parents. Strangely however there are times when good parents produce badly behaved children. Thankfully there seem to be a larger number of cases where strangely the children of bad parents turn out well. Human beings are influenced by their environment but are not always trapped by it.

I realise that we are somewhat off topic and since we are (probably rightly) told nothing about the youngsters apart from their age we do not know about their parenting.

That hurt my head to read.

I would have liked to have seen some form of punishment somwhere inbetween saying sorry and having their goolies cut off. I would have thought some general cleaning duties such as sweeping the stadium or the car park would have been suffice.

When I was their age I got similar to that punishment and it deterred me from stealing burglar alarms in future.

How does a young Swede know that?

Most young English people wouldn't have a clue where it came from.

I think someone on here or elsewhere posted a sketch on Youtube, I liked it and got (downloaded, but would like to buy it later if it's available somewhere) the Best Of-dvd. Some of the jokes from that era, esp about politics, are obviously a bit lost on me, but still very enjoyable and I'm trying to learn more about it.

In fact, after your post yesterday I felt so inspired I went back to my hotel room here in Pristina and watched it again on my laptop!

Last edited:
He isn't being disingenuous at all. The term 'politically correct' is just a meaningless badge, used pejoratively against anybody that doesn't subscribe to the type of ridiculous knee-jerk reactions that we've seen displayed in this thread.

It is disingenuous because the term was invented by American liberals to stop ideas they felt were "not politically correct." For liberals to complain when it is used against them os a nice case of the biter being bit.

I think Micky and Jeff have been rather teasing you in their views. Perhaps we should look elsewhere for the "knee jerk reactions that we've seen in this thread."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669