Setanta goes bust

Status
Not open for further replies.

RHYDAL

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8115360.stm

Setanta goes into administration

The Irish broadcaster Setanta Sports has gone into administration after failing to make a number of payments to sporting organisations.

The administrator Deloitte said that it would shortly cease broadcasting to customers in Great Britain but would continue to operate elsewhere.

They said they would immediately stop collecting subscription payments.

Two hundred employees involved with the British operations have been made redundant.

Setanta had a total of 420 employees.

"This is a sad day for all concerned," said Sir Robin Miller, chairman of Setanta.

"Unfortunately, in a difficult and highly competitive market, and despite strenuous efforts by the board and management, it has not been possible to find sufficient additional funds in the time available to ensure its survival."

Last edited:
That's ****ing typical, my mum just decides to upgrade the Virgin package to include Setanta and the feckers go bust.

The good news is that ESPN America, which was part of the package, is still broadcasting. MLB for free this summer.

The good news is that ESPN America, which was part of the package, is still broadcasting. MLB for free this summer.

They've now tagged it on to the news and entertainment bundle on sky (which costs £1 per month)

I used to subscribe to this channel when it was NASN at £10 per month as a stand-alone channel for the college basketball and American football so am very chuffed with this

Hopefully this won't change by the time the new season starts but in the meantime I'll be making the most of PTI and Around The Horn anyway

They've now tagged it on to the news and entertainment bundle on sky (which costs £1 per month)

I used to subscribe to this channel when it was NASN at £10 per month as a stand-alone channel for the college basketball and American football so am very chuffed with this

Hopefully this won't change by the time the new season starts but in the meantime I'll be making the most of PTI and Around The Horn anyway

With Messrs Kornheiser and Wilbon. They are a great double act and it is a show worth watching just for those two. :icon_bigg

I particularly like the NHL and had visons of Setanta going bust the day before game 7 of the Stanley Cup and no live coverage being available. All worked out nicely as it happens.
On another matter, does anyone think that David Haye suddenly having an injury before his match with Klitschko, and Setanta being in trouble are just a coincidence?

Last edited:
I particularly like the NHL and had visons of Setanta going bust the day before game 7 of the Stanley Cup and no live coverage being available. All worked out nicely as it happens.

Does any of your channels in UK cover the draft? If not it's probably streamed somewhere.

It's only £1 a month if you already have Sky, if not it now costs more than it used to when it was part of the Setanta package.

Please feel free to pick up on any detail which may be interpreted differently to the manner in which it was meant

As a part time poster this is however one of the things that makes me not want to post

I'm sure you are perfectly aware what I was saying

I thought this bit made it pretty clear, however if you think some people need more clarification then that's fine

I'm not being arsy about it, I'd just rather discuss the thread topic and wouldn't normally be bothered to get into this sort of debate so if you post again and I don't reply please don't take offense

I thought this bit made it pretty clear, however if you think some people need more clarification then that's fine

The reason I pointed it out is because Sky's pricing policy pisses me off. While adding an extra "mix" is relatively cheap, as you pointed out, their basic package is expensive for what you get, and you have to get a basic package before you can have anything else.

I was disappointed to see Setanta go. They charged a sensible price, and maybe if they'd stuck around a bit longer Sky would have brought their sports channel prices into line with what Setanta charged. Hopefully ESPN will do a decent job and their success will force Sky to rethink their pricing.

I'm not being arsy about it, I'd just rather discuss the thread topic and wouldn't normally be bothered to get into this sort of debate so if you post again and I don't reply please don't take offense
You're gonna fit right in round here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570