Shinned it in

Status
Not open for further replies.

tripod

:roll: Is it time to bring in Steve Claridge? He was doing okay at Portsmouth and seemed to be doing a good job last season. He'd give the players the bollocking they deserve

:shock:

Claridge would be more likely to take them to the bookies' than dish out the discipline! Get real!

If and when it's time to say goodbye to Micky, I really hope we DON'T go down the road of getting a former player, unless thay are going to be a really great manager. The idea of bringing back Claridge, Walsh, McAllister or Cottee, or even Lineker :roll:, all of whom I've heard mentioned on LCFC forums recently, would almost certainly backfire so spectacularly it will not be funny.

I want to remember these people as Leicester City legends, not eventually want them out as manager and watch them suffer the humiliation of being booed by an ever demanding Leicester public.

How many former City palyers are actually out there doing it as managers at the moment? Not many. Mike Newell is doing OK at Luton. Gary Mills is bottom of the league with Notts County. Anyone else? Why the hell, as a big club (but we need to remember, we're not Man Utd, whatever Dave Bassett thinks!) would we be so unprofessional as to go and get someone like Walshie, who is playing golf in Spain, or someone unproven managing a non-league outfit like Claridge?

If Micky does not survive this, then let's do what has served us so well over the past couple of decades and try and get one of the best young managers from one of the lower leagues (but at least let's not go as low as the Ryman's Southern Division 7 or whetever!). And if we were going to go non-league for a manager, why would we go further than down the road to Burton Albion? I hear his dad was quite good....

Some will point to Peter Taylor and Micky as having the 'bright young manager' tag, and not exactly setting the world on fire at City. But we also have to look at Martin O'Neill, Brian Little and (yes!) Mark McGhee, who were all tremendously successful at City.

And, if Micky goes, then good luck to whoever is brave or stupid enough to take over, because the job is becoming a poisoned chalice, like the England job. After our success in the 90s, some of our fans (mostly those who weren't around much before then) seem to think we now have a devine right to be in the top half of the Premier and win regular silverware. We will probably never be as good as that again (let's face facts: we were never as good as that in the 110 years before) and we were truly lucky to have the best manager of our generation stay for a while. Some will say this lacks ambition: I say it's a dose of cold, hard reality. Grow up! Get used to it.

We are still suffering a MON hangover and, quite honestly, we need to get over it! NOW!

:( :roll:

DesertFox said:

Claridge would be more likely to take them to the bookies' than dish out the discipline! Get real!

If and when it's time to say goodbye to Micky, I really hope we DON'T go down the road of getting a former player, unless thay are going to be a really great manager. The idea of bringing back Claridge, Walsh, McAllister or Cottee, or even Lineker :roll:, all of whom I've heard mentioned on LCFC forums recently, would almost certainly backfire so spectacularly it will not be funny.

I want to remember these people as Leicester City legends, not eventually want them out as manager and watch them suffer the humiliation of being booed by an ever demanding Leicester public.

How many former City palyers are actually out there doing it as managers at the moment? Not many. Mike Newell is doing OK at Luton. Gary Mills is bottom of the league with Notts County. Anyone else? Why the hell, as a big club (but we need to remember, we're not Man Utd, whatever Dave Bassett thinks!) would we be so unprofessional as to go and get someone like Walshie, who is playing golf in Spain, or someone unproven managing a non-league outfit like Claridge?

If Micky does not survive this, then let's do what has served us so well over the past couple of decades and try and get one of the best young managers from one of the lower leagues (but at least let's not go as low as the Ryman's Southern Division 7 or whetever!). And if we were going to go non-league for a manager, why would we go further than down the road to Burton Albion? I hear his dad was quite good....

Some will point to Peter Taylor and Micky as having the 'bright young manager' tag, and not exactly setting the world on fire at City. But we also have to look at Martin O'Neill, Brian Little and (yes!) Mark McGhee, who were all tremendously successful at City.

And, if Micky goes, then good luck to whoever is brave or stupid enough to take over, because the job is becoming a poisoned chalice, like the England job. After our success in the 90s, some of our fans (mostly those who weren't around much before then) seem to think we now have a devine right to be in the top half of the Premier and win regular silverware. We will probably never be as good as that again (let's face facts: we were never as good as that in the 110 years before) and we were truly lucky to have the best manager of our generation stay for a while. Some will say this lacks ambition: I say it's a dose of cold, hard reality. Grow up! Get used to it.

We are still suffering a MON hangover and, quite honestly, we need to get over it! NOW!

:( :roll:

What an excellent post!

I agree whole heartedly with every word written in this post. (Apart from the Mcghee tremendous success bit ????)

What a pity there aren't more fans with this balanced view on life.

Well Done! 8)

I agree with that post, I've been saying it for about 10 months now. MON was a freak, a one off, and as you rightly say why people think we are a big/Successful club on the back of 5 years worth of trophies, in comparison to 115 years of pretty much what we have now is beyond me. That is reality, and I do accept it, but I still hope/dream of getting there again.

However, I do think that whoever takes over should MA leave, has a very good squad to work with and will end up in the play-offs or higher.

At the moment its not the quality of player IMO, its getting them to gel, and the longer it fails under MA then the pressure will increase. It may take someone new to get them going, but I still believe that the players in the squad are proven at this level (if not higher in some cases) and its a lack of direction at the moment thats failing us.

Also, a point on MA, IF he goes, I think that he should be deemed a fairly successful manager, certainly not a failure by any means.

To come in 2 seasons ago with a team in a bigger slump than now, with his hands tied on the transfer front, selling Piper, Savage, Rowett to name but 3 influential players to stave off administration, then to go into Admin, get us promoted and then nearly keep us up with a squad that failed 12 months previously under PT in the Prem with only the smallest transfer budget in the history of the Premier League to help, I think is a fair job.

If nothing else, and you might not agree with the above, he would leave us in a healthier position IMO now than when he took over 2 and a half years ago. That is all a manager can do.

In relation to an ex player, can anyone name an ex player who managed to turn around their old club?! I can't think of anyone, it usually fails with alarming regularity.

DesertFox said:

We will probably never be as good as that again (let's face facts: we were never as good as that in the 110 years before) and we were truly lucky to have the best manager of our generation stay for a while. Some will say this lacks ambition: I say it's a dose of cold, hard reality. Grow up! Get used to it.

Your post reads well. But is factually inaccurate. There have been other times besides the excellent MON era when the club has been top half of the top division. If you bother to study City's history you will find that it was the case during the 1930's; that in the early sixties under Matt Gillies Leicester were one of the four or five strongest sides in the country and were actually top of the league on Easter Tuesday 1963 and that during the 1970's, there was an expectation that Bloomfields's sides would finish top half of the table.

The present position is particularly hard to take because: the results are poor, the football is dire, the manager is committed to repeating the same mistakes week in & week out and is regularly seen across TV screen talking rubbish about "Micky Adams believes this & that.." when the football world knows that the poor bloke is now well out of his depth in managing a situation largely created by his own mistakes.

I agree with what you are saying under MON we were truly spoilt with the success we achieved during his reign, but that doesnt mean that because we had under achieved previously that we should be so ready to accept it again.

I dont expect us to be challenging for the major honours but surely we are better than accepting bottom half mediocrity in the fizzy.

The problem is that some fans cannot see that in reality promotion one season and then finishing 4th bottom of the prem for the next couple of seasons would be a massive achievement for us now. But on the other side of the coin too many fans are prepared to accept that this is our true level and are almost(!) happy to accept failure.

We need to put things into perspective we are not going to see european nights at the Walkers for some time and neither is it our define right to expect it, we overachieved massively in the nineties, but we are still a club worthy of the premiership and therefore our current position is not acceptable.

Keep the Faith said:
we are not going to see european nights at the Walkers for some time.
bring back the anglo-italian mate!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570