Should Sven have been sacked?

Should Sven have been sacked?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with most of that except that the new manager will also be inheriting big problems. First; over-high expectations and secondly, too many players who have been brought in expecting to play first team football. This is a recipe for trouble especially if we aren't winning every game.

In spite of the difficulties and given the financial backing we should be able to reach the play offs providing we have a manager who is grounded in the skills to get out of this division. MON could certainly do it - if he wants it and Billy Davies always appears hungry for success and looks like he could sort out players if necessary.

Sven's a great bloke I would imagine but after a bright start I never thought he had the right skills set to get us out of this division

You always speak sense Redditch; I rarely disagree with anything that you say.

The comments on the Mercury article http://www.thisisleicestershire.co....icester-City/story-13647636-detail/story.html make interesting reading around whether Sven was able to use his name to bring in top signings. I don't think it was like that.

In my view Sven splashed the cash around on OTT transfer fees and over-paying players who don't look that fantastic.

His name certainly ensured that we got more media coverage than has tended to be the case in recent years....but sadly and it is a shame - Sven's position in the game is on the wane and he hasn't produced the results. I suggested some months ago that the best option for him was to move to 'director' type role and the club should bring in a top coach. I saw this as a way of Sven avoiding being humiliated. This view was ridiculed but instead its all ended in tears - and i have to say that I expected it to finish like this by the end of October...and others I spoke with over the summer who have also been around a bit felt the same.

The comments on the Mercury article http://www.thisisleicestershire.co....icester-City/story-13647636-detail/story.html make interesting reading around whether Sven was able to use his name to bring in top signings. I don't think it was like that.

In my view Sven splashed the cash around on OTT transfer fees and over-paying players who don't look that fantastic.

His name certainly ensured that we got more media coverage than has tended to be the case in recent years....but sadly and it is a shame - Sven's position in the game is on the wane and he hasn't produced the results. I suggested some months ago that the best option for him was to move to 'director' type role and the club should bring in a top coach. I saw this as a way of Sven avoiding being humiliated. This view was ridiculed but instead its all ended in tears - and i have to say that I expected it to finish like this by the end of October...and others I spoke with over the summer who have also been around a bit felt the same.

I'm suprised he lasted this long tbh. It never felt like a long term appointment from the off for me. I don't think we were heading in the right direction so I'm pleased we've taken a bold step now rather than dithering in to the new year. It may come at the detriment of a decent go at promotion this year but I feel we've got a better chance now than making this decision (which looked inevitable) next year.

Svens contract was up at the end of the season anyway, had we not got promotion he would have been released anyway.

I'm suprised he lasted this long tbh. It never felt like a long term appointment from the off for me.

The maximum it was ever going to last was 2.5 years, being the end of the year he took over, promotion this season and then 1 year in the Prem (with whatever outcome). Hence why he probably had little pashion or much invested in the club.

After the result at the weekend I posted that I would be surprised if he was still in charge in Febraury; didn't realise how soon all of this would happen, but as you say it was inevitable.

Even Sven himself thinks he should have been sacked!!

[h=1]Sven tells Leicester stars: I'd have sacked me too[/h]Published 22:30 24/10/11 By John Percy
http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/new...just-hours-before-sacking-article819918.html#http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/new...just-hours-before-sacking-article819918.html#

Sven Goran Eriksson has been sacked from his £1million-a-year job as Leicester manager – just hours after admitting he was amazed to still be in charge.
Eriksson has paid the price for the big-spending club's dismal start to the season, and former Foxes manager Martin O’Neill has already emerged as the leading contender to replace him.
Former England coach Eriksson had called an emergency meeting with his entire Leicester squad on Monday morning and claimed he would have sacked the manager responsible for Saturday's dismal 3-0 home defeat to Millwall if he was the club's owner.
Shortly afterwards, the 63-year-old was given the grim news by the club’s Thai owners.

However, Eriksson is set for the latest golden handshake of his career - this time for around £1million as he has 12 months remaining on his current deal.
O’Neill is the No. 1 choice to succeed the Swede.
The former Leicester and Aston Villa manager was initially approached last year, before the appointment of Eriksson.
The Ulsterman worked with Foxes’ football director Andrew Neville during his glittering five-year spell, where he won two League Cups, and will be offered the chance to make a sensational return.
Billy Davies could be a realistic alternative if O’Neill, who is understood to be in favour of a Premier League job, proves out of reach.
Davies, who was sacked by Nottingham Forest in June, is available and has admirers in the corridors of power at the King Power Stadium because of his experience in the Championship.
Eriksson will walk away with his pockets full but his reputation tarnished after failing to fulfil the vast expectations of chairman Aiyawatt Raksriaksorn.
Leicester coughed up a stunning £12m this summer in an attempt to build a squad capable of reaching the Premier League but Eriksson managed only five wins from 13 Championship games.
Eriksson took drastic steps to ease the tension after the Millwall defeat by calling his players into a clear-the-air meeting.
There, he admitted he was surprised to still be in charge, made the squad sit through a video nasty of Saturday’s shocking performance and then asked them all the squad to write down what they thought was going wrong.
Within hours, he was dismissed from his post, with his assistant Derek Fazackerley also leaving the club.
It means Eriksson will leave his third job in England, after his spells with the Three Lions and Manchester City.
Bizarrely, he has already been installed as one of the favourites to replace struggling Blackburn boss Steve Kean.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/new...fore-sacking-article819918.html#ixzz1bjqRZmcQ

Sven wasn't perfect but my word he didn't deserve this.

He's hardly been sent to fight on the front lines. He's walked away with probably ~£2m for 1 years work, and no real harm done to his CV as it hasn't been a complete disaster despite the stagnation. They'll be another Top somewhere that will be willing to pay big to get him in again.

I had doubts, but to back someone with 12 million and then sack them at such an early stage seems crazy to me. Amateurish almost.

At the end of the day the owners have put their hands in their pocket and invested in players Sven wanted. They are entitled to make a move like this as their ambitions are high and it is clear that there were significant concerns from many people whether SGE could get us promoted. Tactically we seemed to be inept in many games and beaten by weaker sides with a better game plan. With all the players signed we have no quality wide man - why not ? I just hope we don't go for a failed Premier League manager -we need someone with a no nonsense attitude that knows how to get us out of this division. Some people will think this sacking is unfair and unjustified but let's face it - it is their money and they have the right to decide who manages it.

Svens contract was up at the end of the season anyway, had we not got promotion he would have been released anyway.

His contract was due to expire summer 2012

Where have you gotten that info, boc? I also was under the impression his contract expired at the end of this season, rather than the end of net season.

Where have you gotten that info, boc? I also was under the impression his contract expired at the end of this season, rather than the end of net season.

Now you've made me not sure. I thought it was 2½ years from when he started. Or have I lost count.

Whatever though. It's too late for me . I've lost my faith. And I hope I've kicked the habit.

Cretinous - absolutely cretinous. 13th in the table? If we'd won, we'd have been 5th 3 points from 2nd spot. It was too early to pull the trigger - now someone else has to come in and get a newly formed team to gel even quicker.

My feeling for the club has not been so low since they transferred Derek Dougan to Wolves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669