Six figure cut

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joseph hasn't been no where near as good since he got a seasons contract and Dixey finds it hard getting into double figures at present. I would keep Boyce though. It's a shame about Jefferson's injury problems, as he can play all forms well.

In the championship 3 batsman have scored 2 hundreds and Boyce is one of them. He has looked better in the middle order in all forms this year. He is far more consistent than Smith, Jones, Cobb et al. White isn't a front like batsman, Eckersley is just starting out and Thakor probably will miss a large part of the season if he goes of to study. There would be even more pressure on Sarwan.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly ECB money is based on the number of under-25s that are England qualified that you have playing - not sure of ages but Boyce might be moving out of this category, and so could be at risk on that basis? Mind you with Jefferson, Dixey, Du Toit and Malik all leaving we must be close to a £100K cut already

Tweet from Daggers

@sportdaggers: Leics CCC news first thing in the morning. Goodnight.

Probably some contract news. Or something like Claude retiring and joining coaching staff.

Tweet from Daggers

@sportdaggers: Leics CCC have signed Michael Thornley, rob Taylor & James Sykes to new 2 year deals. Ollie Freckingham & Angus Robson sign 1 year deals.

Can I have a contract?

No news on Matt Boyce's contract yet then.

As for today, one of the poorer fourth day displays of the season.

No news on Matt Boyce's contract yet then.

As for today, one of the poorer fourth day displays of the season.

The fourth innings like today will happen now and then if you have team where all the top order including wicket keeper are under 24 bar Boyce. If you look at the figures Thornely has played no better or worse than Boyce, but has gained a two year contract. Leicestershire need a balance of batters of all styles and all ages. Having Sarwan then the best part of a decade gap then all the other top order is too frail. It will work sometimes, but if Sarwan goes cheap it would put alot of pressure the top order.

For those two above reasons, with Jeffersons retirement, and with Boyce's flexibility in the batting line-up (alot to expect Thornely, Jones and Smith) to perform reguarly at this stage and his improvement particuarly in limited overs I would keep Boyce.

But Leicestershire often don't think logically look at the amount of conflicts with past players, others not being used properly like Gurney etc.

Last edited:
Was just reading yesterday in Nixon's book how we only offered him a one year deal when he left for Kent. This just a couple of years after we were dominating the championship. It's been the same story since then.

Incidentally was chuffed to meet Nico at the SWALEC stadium doing a book signing during the Twenty20 finals day.

Was very interested to see so much of what Redditch has commented on over the years being confirmed in nico's book, about the running of club and the praise being given to the young players to disguise the other stuff going on. He's particularly damning about Tom New.

In the end Boyce signed a two year contract and Tom Wells has signed too.

Didn't Leicestershire promote Nixon's book. I will have to get hold of a copy. What does he say about Tom New, I was interested that he wasn't kept on after all those years at the club?

Basically he felt he was overindulged and hadn't scored the runs to back it up, nor to warrant dislodging him when they moved Nico to a one day contract.

To quote:
'I thought he, like other young players at Leics, had too much smoke blown up his arse for the sake of a few happy headlines'

Joseph and Jones released. Not a suprise about Joseph. Jones will not be missed but he seemed to be in the thoughts of the management towards the end of the season. Pursuing interess outside cricket, presumably got himself something with his degree.

Good win against Gloucs though, no wooden spoon, and apart from the jitters at the end today a pretty decent performance for 4 days.

Jones made a mistake in my view, he could of had a career after cricket like alot of players. He was the man in possesion and being picked ahead of Smith. When one factors in the retirement of Jefferson and Boyce being moved into the middle order, that left Thornely, Smith and himself competing for two spots. Maybe all three could of got starts if Thakor stays in education. He could quite easily have become a first choice opener/middle order bat for a first class county team next season. He didn't play alot so he won't be missed on that basis.

Joseph did alot at the begining of season, but then faded. His age, wage bill and the emergence of Taylor were probably other factors in not being kept on. Taylor took a fiver for last game and didn't make the starting line up for the recent game. What has Buck got on the management?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566