Speculation Sol Bamba to Blackburn

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to someone on twitter:

Fourth_Official Fourth Official
Sol Bamba to Blackburn is definitely taking place #BRFC

It seems an odd one, they've had all pre-season to make a bid. Maybe Sol has been unsettled by the sudden influx of players?

er...why would we sell?

But why would he want to go, other than just for shed loads of money? The fans love him. He is first choice as CB.

I am sure, with serious interest from the Prem, Sven would be happy to offer him an improved contract to compensate. I do not think Prem experience will enhance his international career in the same way as an English player playing in the Prem would.

Who could Sven get for £3million that would be as good?

But why would he want to go, other than just for shed loads of money? The fans love him. He is first choice as CB.

I am sure, with serious interest from the Prem, Sven would be happy to offer him an improved contract to compensate. I do not think Prem experience will enhance his international career in the same way as an English player playing in the Prem would.

Who could Sven get for £3million that would be as good?
Matt Heath

In some ways I am disappointed but with Bamba I always have a niggling thought that he may be too much of a showpony and on occasions he may well cost us. He seems to have pulled out all the stops in the big games (Man City, Real Madrid etc.) but is he the man you want on a cold tuesday night at Rotherham? If 3 million is the deal then maybe it's a good deal or maybe we are losing a prem quality centre back?

Last edited:
From the article it sound like they wan't him as a squad player. I'd be surprised if he left us to sit on the bench.

Can we recall Tunchev out of interest?

We probably wouldn't need to but if we sell Bamba we will need to replacrt time ago.e. It seems a bit odd we are selling him but £3m sounds like a decent deal particularly given what we paid for him only a short time ago. I think Bamba is decent but he is a bit too casual for my liking, it's great when he pulls off his neat turns and such but it don't half frighten the life out of me when he plays like that at the back and he has made errors as a result of being a bit lax. It'd still be a shame to see him go but the deal sounds decent and if Sven has a replacement lined up then I can't say I'd be too disappointed.

In some ways I am disappointed but with Bamba I always have a niggling thought that he may be too much of a showpony and on occasions he may well cost us. He seems to have pulled out all the stops in the big games (Man City, Real Madrid etc.) but is he the man you want on a cold tuesday night at Rotherham? If 3 million is the deal then maybe it's a good deal or maybe we are losing a prem quality centre back?

Personally, I think people just have this attitude with ball playing defenders. Some people seem to have it in their heads defenders must fit a certain mould (it's exactly the same with goalkeepers who don't go to catch the ball on crosses and the "flapping" criticism) i.e. stoppers and not "showponies."

It's all just speculation based on him not fitting people's fixed idea about how defender shoud of play: "he may cost us" not "he has cost us." I think last season he made no fewer mistakes than you'd expect a good defender to (all defenders make mistakes) and I don't think there is anything he has ever done anything suggest he may well cost us more than a stopper such as Mills, for example and certainly not to should suggest him being referred to as a "bombscare."

I think he's done a great job for us in the brief time he's been here and I'll be sad to see him leave if he does go.

I did hear that they may let him go to Leeds on loan :102:

The great thing about Bamba is that, leaving aside the crowd pleasing 'showpony' tricks, he is a great attacking CB, quite happy to collect the ball and take it forward. Such a change from the Brown/Hobbs 'hoof' with head or foot randomly forwards or sideways style. It has been a long time since we had such a player, and we have not seen enough of Tunch to know if he can do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669