Spyware

Status
Not open for further replies.

pds

I keep getting this message pop up on my computer.

Your computer is infected.

Windows has detected spyware infection!

It is recomended to use special anti spyware tools to prevent data loss. Windows will now download and install the most up to date anti-spyware for you.

Click here to protect your computer from spyware.

Although it says Windows is going to download something it doesn't and I can't click on the bit that says 'click here'.
What is Spyware and what can it do? This has only been apparent since I downloaded the Last.Fm software.
Could anybody give me any guidance on what to do.
Any help appreciated.

Last edited:
Spyware is malicious software that can slow down your pc, steal passwords, and generally muck about with your pc. It usually comes embedded in software or with downloaded files. The information it gains is passed on to third parties.

Where did the message come from? An anti virus program? Or was it in an internet browser? If it was the latter it could be a fake pop up message.

Try downloading microfost anti spyware and AVG anti virus, both free software that should help eliminate/protect from spyware.

pds said:
I keep getting this message pop up on my computer.

Your computer is infected.

Windows has detected spyware infection!

It is recomended to use special anti spyware tools to prevent data loss. Windows will now download and install the most up to date anti-spyware for you.

Click here to protect your computer from spyware.

Although it says Windows is going to download something it doesn't and I can't click on the bit that says 'click here'.
What is Spyware and what can it do? This has only been apparent since I downloaded the Last.Fm software.
Could anybody give me any guidance on what to do.
Any help appreciated.

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/default.mspx

It popped up in the bottom right hand of the screen next to the time and date.
It keeps popping up every 5 to 10 seconds and is really annoying.
How do I go about downloading these programmes and will they actually get rid of this spyware or just prevent further spyware?
Thanks for your help.

Can you do a copy of what it looks like?

Do this by clicking the 'print screen' button on your keyboard, then click paste in paint and save. Then host on imageshack or attatch it to this thread.

joe501 said:
Can you do a copy of what it looks like?

Do this by clicking the 'print screen' button on your keyboard, then click paste in paint and save. Then host on imageshack or attatch it to this thread.

My print screen button doesn't seem to be working. It isn't doing anything when I press it.

nothing comes up onscreen when you press it, but if you go into ms paint and click edit, paste, it should paste what was onscreen when you pressed the key.

joe501 said:
nothing comes up onscreen when you press it, but if you go into ms paint and click edit, paste, it should paste what was onscreen when you pressed the key.

I know but it wasn't registering, Noting was pasting on Paint. I have sorted that now, just waiting for image to load on Imageshack. thanks again

The image isn't loading due to my computer being so slow. I have started to download Windows Defender from Microsoft. Thanks for all the help and I will let you know of the results.:038:

I have just done a 'Quick Scan' with Windows Defender and it came up with nothing. Is a Full Scan likely to find a lot more?
How long would a Full Scan take?

A full scan would be more likely to find something. As for how long it depends on the speed of your pc. If you set it up tonight it would definetly be done in the morning though!

You need to have a number of different antivirus software on your pc, as some software find things that others don't.

Last edited:
It is the little warning that keeps popping up on my desktop that is annying me more than anything. Any idea on how to stop that.

pds said:
It is the little warning that keeps popping up on my desktop that is annying me more than anything. Any idea on how to stop that.

a pic would be v. useful ;)

can you not attatch the file to this thread by clicking 'manage attatchments' below where you type your post?

I think my comp must be well and truely fooked. Every time I click on the attatchment button I get a noise as if it has been blocked and nothing happens.

pds said:
I think my comp must be well and truely fooked. Every time I click on the attatchment button I get a noise as if it has been blocked and nothing happens.

:102:
can you explain the pop up in more detail? is it a classic windows style message box? does it have an internet explorer bar at the top?

It is in a yellow bubble. In the top left hand corner it has a yellow triangle with a black exlamation mark in it. The message is below this. A red icon with a white cross has appeared along with all the other icons in the bottom right of my screen next to the time and date. This cross is where the message is coming from.

Seriously thanks for your help it is much appreciated.

Cheers Newton appreciate it, will try it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669