Star striker or waste of space

Can David Connolly be our star man next season?

• Waste of time and will not even score 10 goals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Much the same with about 11-15 goals

• Improvement under CL will net him 16-20 goals

• Can't stop him in a revamped CL side 21-25 goals

• Top hitman in the CC next season 26+

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
DurhamFox said:
Connolly is not the reason for us not scoring goals. End of....

Agreed.

I also don't think it's any great surprise that he is scoring more now, when we're attempting to play it on the floor more under CL.

i would be very surprised if connolly was sold in the summer, hes got a lot of ability and his general plays often been good, just been the finishing thats let him down. also i think we're better trying to get the most out of a striker whose proved he has the ability to score 20+ goals a season in this division than spending a few hundred thousand of a tight budget on someone else

Country Fox said:
i would be very surprised if connolly was sold in the summer, hes got a lot of ability and his general plays often been good, just been the finishing thats let him down. also i think we're better trying to get the most out of a striker whose proved he has the ability to score 20+ goals a season in this division than spending a few hundred thousand of a tight budget on someone else

Agree. It can take a long time for a player to settle into a club.
IMO we have a far better chance next season because we won't have the level of expectation over us.
Not convinced we have the right partner for him, but i'm sure at the start of next season we will be in far better shape than at the start of this one.

I just wondered where everyones sees Jani Sturm fitting in next season then? Does anyone know what type of striker he is, and who do we see him playing with?

THATCHER said:
I just wondered where everyones sees Jani Sturm fitting in next season then? Does anyone know what type of striker he is, and who do we see him playing with?

Apparantly similar to dickov. We need a targetman IMO. Not really replaced Ferdinand or Deane.

Lboro fox said:
THATCHER said:

Apparantly similar to dickov. We need a targetman IMO. Not really replaced Ferdinand or Deane.

I would get another Dutchman. He is Klaas Jan Huntelaar and he plays for Heerenveen in the top division in the Netherlands. Young, good touch in the air and on the ground, agressive not the sort of player defenders want to play against, goalscorer and brings others into the game.

Open the cheque book Craig, he surely cannot cost that much. :wink: ;-) :mrgreen:

Steven said:
Open the cheque book Craig, he surely cannot cost that much. :wink: ;-) :mrgreen:

I agree,
CL has managed to reduce the wage bill by a lot more than he has spent, and we desperatly need a quality striker. I dont think its up to CL, I imagine he has to go and bend the boards ear until they give in and part with some cash.

A couple of million would do the trick.

webmaster said:
THATCHER said:
I just wondered where everyones sees Jani Sturm fitting in next season then?

On the bench at best. From what CL has said he's not expecting him to be a first choice striker.

CL used that dreaded phrase, "one for the future". :? :? :? :-( :-( :roll:

step said:
Steven said:

I agree,
CL has managed to reduce the wage bill by a lot more than he has spent, and we desperatly need a quality striker. I dont think its up to CL, I imagine he has to go and bend the boards ear until they give in and part with some cash.

A couple of million would do the trick.

I think we are still skint.Although the wage bill must have been cut to a more sensible level its hard to see how we can generate any money in this league. It also seems a while since we sold a player for significant money. IMO we will be spending the next couple of years on a shoestring unless CL can produce some magic in the transfer market.

Isn't this merger/sharing going to bring additional funds. If not why are we doing it?

Steven said:
Isn't this merger/sharing going to bring additional funds. If not why are we doing it?

It is going to bring in additional funds, but it will be mainly an ongoing saving year on year, the initial cash injection isn't going to be enough to go out and spend a couple of million on a player.

The problem is that next season we have the advantage of a five million pound payout from the premier and after that: nothing, not a penny, if we don’t get promoted next season, the club will have to survive on what it makes from gate receipts, TV rights and shop sales, the club will struggle financially and we will join all those other clubs that struggle to survive in the Fizzy. The trees are a good example.

If we don’t make it back into the premier next season we will end up in that vicious cycle where we need quality players to get promoted, but we have had to sell the quality players to survive and once a club ends up on that slippery slope it is very difficult to do anything but slide down it.

CL need cash

How many times has Connolly hit the bar or post this year?

eee orrr, 10

lako42 said:
being a supporter is qualified. and i agree that conners isnt good enough in the areas we need him to be. he spends too much time on the wing and dosn'y score enough goals, and yes he has scored more recently but scoring penalties isn't hard. NOT GOOD ENOUGH

Andy Johnson has scored plenty of penalties for palace and that got him in the england team, so at the moment it's good enough for him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566