Swansea captain slags off Sousa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hang on a minute, he/they didn't like PS training methods, but didn't Swansea finish their highest position for umpteen years, including time with Martinez.

Oh, and where did Brendan Rogers end up last season?

Sour grapes, not concerned at all.

I'll be quite happy if Sousa's training methods bring us 24 clean sheets this season.

Always makes me laugh when I read things like this from professional footballers. They get paid fortunes for going in for 3 hours a day. If they feel they are not fit enough why do they not just do an extra bit of training at home or join a gym.

Exactly. Spoilt little ****, doesn't your heart just break for him. Brendan Rogers probably gives them an easy time because despite everyone having heard of him, they have feck all idea who he is.

Dismiss this if you like but I think it's going to be key as this season develops. I think the number one thing a team needs when preparing for a season in the Championship is very high levels of fitness.

Both MON and NP built teams on the principle of fitness first, work ethic being key. And it worked. Others such as Allen and Taylor decided to back the talents of the players over fitness and we know where that left us.

We've already heard numerous players talk about how different training is under Sousa and how much less difficult it is. It is also worth noting that a number of the performance/sports science staff employed by Pearson have followed him to Hull without replacement. Sousa is clearly from the school believing in 'possession of the ball' and 'letting the ball do the work' etc. I fully support these principles if you've got the players to deliver it.

We haven't and it's looking like the squad is not about to be flooded with wonderkids from overseas who can deliver this style.

I still expect to see a lot of misplaced passes and giving away possession as we saw last season. However, this time round we won't be as fit to get the ball back. This is likely to lead to us conceding lots of late goals in games.

This is the main reason why, as things stand, I think we're in for a very disappointing season.

Last edited:
Dismiss this if you like but I think it's going to be key as this season develops. I think the number one thing a team needs when preparing for a season in the Championship is very high levels of fitness.

Both MON and NP built teams on the principle of fitness first, work ethic being key. And it worked. Others such as Allen and Taylor decided to back the talents of the players over fitness and we know where that left us.

We've already heard numerous players talk about how different training is under Sousa and how much less difficult it is. It is also worth noting that a number of the performance/sports science staff employed by Pearson have followed him to Hull without replacement. Sousa is clearly from the school believing in 'possession of the ball' and 'letting the ball do the work' etc. I fully support these principles if you've got the players to deliver it.

We haven't and it's looking like the squad is not about to be flooded with wonderkids from overseas who can deliver this style.

I still expect to see a lot of misplaced passes and giving away possession as we saw last season. However, this time round we won't be as fit to get the ball back. This is likely to lead to us conceding lots of late goals in games.

This is the main reason why, as things stand, I think we're in for a very disappointing season.

Ditto

Aside from the grammatical error, where has anyone said this?

What do you actually base that on? Have you ever considered that you may well be talking absolute bollocks? As I said earlier, if these over-paid buggers don't feel fit enough then they can remedy it themselves.

Also on your mis-placed passing prediction - they seemed to do ok on Satdee against a Prem team, out-moving and out-passing them, especially in the first half.

Aside from the grammatical error, where has anyone said this?

A few players said in the first session back from the break they did ball work and not fitness.

I was worried when I heard that, I believe PG said they were not being worked as hard.

Like Swansea last year? :102:

I heard Matt Fryatt on RL after the Sunderland match and he mentioned he and a few others had been in for extra sessions and expected it to continue over the summer. Pure bollocks.

What do you actually base that on? Have you ever considered that you may well be talking absolute bollocks? As I said earlier, if these over-paid buggers don't feel fit enough then they can remedy it themselves.

Also on your mis-placed passing prediction - they seemed to do ok on Satdee against a Prem team, out-moving and out-passing them, especially in the first half.

But the article says they were banned from doing extra sessions.

We always seem to play well against Premier League teams as they play a differnet style of football with more space. I'm not sure how much pass and move football we will play against more physical teams that are knocking lumps out of us after having just played 9 games in a month unless our fitness levels are high enough.

Still, the jury's still out and we'll see just what the season brings.

Isn't this opinion just symptomatic of the problems of football in this country? Although i obviously accept players must be fit football should not be all about 'a good set of lungs'. We went out of the world cup and have done so for decades because this counrty seems to replace skill and posession for running. In an ideal world of course you would have both.

I fully advocate the passing game EVEN if it takes longer for us to achieve the goal of promotion. This is not to say that i wouldn't want promotion as soon as possible, but not at the expense of passing the ball well and playing good (attractive, and therefore more people through the turnstiles) football.

I am probably in the minority though...

Isn't this opinion just symptomatic of the problems of football in this country? Although i obviously accept players must be fit football should not be all about 'a good set of lungs'. We went out of the world cup and have done so for decades because this counrty seems to replace skill and posession for running. In an ideal world of course you would have both.

I fully advocate the passing game EVEN if it takes longer for us to achieve the goal of promotion. This is not to say that i wouldn't want promotion as soon as possible, but not at the expense of passing the ball well and playing good (attractive, and therefore more people through the turnstiles) football.

I am probably in the minority though...

Totally agree with you. But we've all seen us try to play 'proper' football under various managers over the years and its almost always been a disappointing failure. Probably the best example being under David Pleat.

There is no point in us pioneering a more continental approach in a league that eats that sort of attitude alive. Occasionally it can work, like Fulham under Tigana. However, it fails much more often than it succeeds. Look at how Clough got on with Derby last season as just one example. One relevant point about Tigana's Fulham side was that they used to train three times a day and were exceptionally fit as well as played the game the right way.

Sousa needs a series of talented signings to be able to deliver what he wants and the days are ticking away. We're hearing all about cost cutting and nothing about recruitment of quality passers of the ball. We're also hearing from players like Gallagher that the emphasis on fitness has lessened. I find it difficult to reconcile all that and see a positive outcome in the short term. And medium to long term planning are pointless in the modern game.

Last edited:
May I ask where this feeling of training being 'easier' has arisen from?

If you search the internet for Swansea fans/players views of life under Sousa, a regular complaint was the lack of organised training and fitness. I've also seen similar comments from QPR. Following the first couple of training sessions at Leicester, both Gallagher and another player (Hobbs?) were interviewed and talked about how different training was and the emphasis was all on the ball and not fitness levels.

A prime example of how this can affect things is the first game of last season. We were outplayed by Swansea first half and trailled them. However, as the game progressed we were clearly fitter and eventually overturned them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669