The ‘player(s) I have just seen on telly and think we should sign’ thread

Just thought I’d open up a debate.

Seen Chelsea are offloading Romelu Lukaku, I was surprised he is only 31, but seems Roma don’t want him and he won’t play for Chelsea again.

If we had 30 million and his wages in budget (which I’m aware we likely don’t) would you take him?

Seen Chelsea are offloading Romelu Lukaku, I was surprised he is only 31, but seems Roma don’t want him and he won’t play for Chelsea again.

If we had 30 million and his wages in budget (which I’m aware we likely don’t) would you take him?
No

A modern day Tony Hateley.

No, we need to plan signing assets, not just players. Someone who inevitably has some value going forward, and I think that comes with (relative) youth.

If we ended up severely short for what we needed in terms of recruitment the only way to use a player like him is on a one year contract.

Get us 15 goals, keep us up, then **** off as we reinforce in the next summer window.

Which, of course, he'd never agree to in a million years. At 31 he'll be looking for his last big contract.

So...no.

No, we need to plan signing assets, not just players. Someone who inevitably has some value going forward, and I think that comes with (relative) youth.
Normally, I’d agree with this. But our most recent ‘assets’ up front haven’t exactly cut the mustard.

I think we will need a balance.

We need to get back to smart acquisitions that benefit us over time.

We need to get back to smart acquisitions that benefit us over time.
Our most recent couple of buys have been pretty good for the money.
About £13m for Stephy and Mads.
Add the obligation to buy Fatawu.
That’s 3 bloody good signings for under £30m

In today’s footballing world, that’s bloody good.

Tom Cannon has also shown he has something about him .
Although he has questions over his fitness , time will tell

Joel Matip is being released on a free by Liverpool.

Is that too optimistic to think we could sign him?

Admittedly he is recovering from an ACL injury, but when have we let injuries deter us before...

If we're looking at CBs for the PL we need one with pace. Matip has the speed & acceleration of an asthmatic carthorse. & thats before a knee operation.

If they want an ancient cripple to play in the back 4 I'm also available on a free.

If we're looking at CBs for the PL we need one with pace. Matip has the speed & acceleration of an asthmatic carthorse. & thats before a knee operation.

If they want an ancient cripple to play in the back 4 I'm also available on a free.
Both better options than Maguire and Evans.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669
9Coventry City4664
10Preston 4663