The ‘player(s) I have just seen on telly and think we should sign’ thread

There have been reports that he might be wanted for first choice at Old Trafford. De Gea makes almost 400k a week, so having a younger, less expensive but perhaps better keeper is beneficial for them.

Also, are you saying you'd like to sell Kasper?
I’m for improving the team however we can, if that means replacing Kasper, Vardy or anyone, do it

Last night made me realise how much a striker is needed, not just as an alternative and Plan B for Vardy, but as a partner too.

Vardy's game has changed and he doesn't do so well when he's up front on his own and isolate any more.

Part of that is because teams know to drop back and be alert to him running in behind, so he's drifting wide more to get space in behind outside of the box. But he's not then an Henry type of player who's going to dribble past players, he needs someone else there to work with.

In both of the last 2 games he's been creating plenty by drifting wide and creating space for others. A solid strike partner for him could be a great addition and help prolong Vardy's game.

Now oddly, last night made me think how Vardy has grown as a player and how much more he brings to the team these days. His holdup play and awareness of options was excellent, not something I naturally associate with him. That is, he looked to bring players into the game more than I've noticed before.

I think Puel tried to re-invent him (and didn't Ranieri tell him to stop chasing everything down?) so maybe Rodgers is reaping some rewards for the work of predecessors but I reckon Vardy is doing incredibly well without the classic type partner up front.

Now oddly, last night made me think how Vardy has grown as a player and how much more he brings to the team these days. His holdup play and awareness of options was excellent, not something I naturally associate with him. That is, he looked to bring players into the game more than I've noticed before.

I think Puel tried to re-invent him (and didn't Ranieri tell him to stop chasing everything down?) so maybe Rodgers is reaping some rewards for the work of predecessors but I reckon Vardy is doing incredibly well without the classic type partner up front.

Sorry my post might have come across wrong.

It wasn't meant as a criticism of Vardy. More just a comment that he isn't getting too many of the kind of chances he used to thrive off.

But I agree with you, that his overall game is much better and he is still offering stuff, but more and more it seems to be linking up with and creating chances for others.

So a proper striker partner could really benefit from that, and that would be a big help to the team overall.

I think in the recent games, the change of shape has meant we've got another player playing closer to him - Barnes, Perez, Gray all played close yesterday (particularly Barnes and Gray after the subs). Look how many chances he created for them. A proper strike partner with him and we couldve had a few more goals even yesterday.

It was Rodgers that told Vardy to stop running around and stay central

I really don't think some people understand just how good Jamie Vardy is.
Commentators really don't. They say all the generic stuff "runs a lot, fast, good goals" but that doesn't summarise his importance to the team. His creativity in the Sheffield United game (highlights) was astonishing. He just gets it.

Not sure if this is aimed at my comment, but I'm in no way doubting JV's ability at all.

I'm saying that as a team, we'd benefit now from having a striker partner with him, given that he's now not just finishing chances, but creating lots for others too.

He's been creating so much recently that you're wishing we had two of him so he's there to get on the end of those chances - Alan Smith even commented on it yesterday with all the chances that Vardy was creating being spurned that he'd be hoping for them to return the favour in the service to him.

With Ricardo not expected back until October/November time I believe, and now Chilwell and Fuchs also expected to be out until October, I think we will need to sign another full back for cover in the transfer window, if the season is starting early September as rumoured.

We can't go 4-6 weeks into the new season with Justin and Thomas as our only available fullbacks, particularly with European commitments too - and probably more midweek Premier League games than usual given the condensed season.

For me, the summer shopping list in priority order would be:

Winger
Centre back
Striker
Full back

The winger needs to be better than what we've got, the centre back and striker need to be good enough to start in rotation/competing for a space in the starting lineup (e.g competing with Nacho and Cags), whereas the full back is just back up but could then see Thomas go out on loan after injuries recover

Where did you see Chilwell is out until October? All I saw was remainder of season.

Im sure I read it somewhere this morning, but now can't find it. I could be mistaken, but was sure I'd seen both were out until later.

If it's only Fuchs, and Chilwell is going to be back and match fit by the start of the new season than an extra full back isn't so important, but could still be useful to have extra cover on the right.

I said something similar in his first game in the Premier league when he came on in the 1-1 draw against Arsenal. He is a very good footballer, not just a goalscorer.

For me, he's identical in that respect to Yakubu. Clearly talented but doesn't necessarily run his bollocks off so is underappreciated.
I don't think it's anything to do with that. Everyone can see the effort he puts in. It's much more to do with consistency. With Iheanacho, he's either great or looks like he's had both feet amputated and has no control over his bloody stumps.

There's a player in there somewhere but we just never know which Nacho will turn up and that is problematic.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566
9Coventry City4464
10Preston 4463