Speculation The Crazy Stupid Premier League Rumours Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

fitz

Still anxious that we're not bidding for any defenders and instead we're bidding for Troy fecking Deeney.

Buying all the strikers in the Championship won't help us if we start the season with the current defence.

Aye but the season after we'll storm the league as other teams won't have any goal scorers left....typical bloody shortsighted football fans

Borderfox

I agree we do need a couple of defenders, notably a left back. I don't think Konchesky is up to Premiership standard, and Schulpp will never be a left back while he has a hole in his bum not at this level anyway. Another Centre half wouldn't go amiss either. I like Wes, but this is a huge step up for him, as for Moore he has the talent, but not the experience yet. Upson is good cover but its a long hard season at 35 years of age so playing regularly is a big ask. So a centre half and a left back please Mr Pearson.

Miles Away

Wood is obviously deemed surplus to requirements.

Deeney/Ulloa/Vardy/Nugent

15M on Deeney/Ulloa seems like a lot though.

I assume the Campbell deal is not moving forward, or if it does, the Deeney bid will be withdrawn.

Last edited:

Nottingham Fox

I understand the clubs stance on Campbells wages, but I don't expect the likes of Ulloa and what they're offering Deeney will exactly be poor in the wages department. The £7m they'd save in transfer fees on Campbell must be negotiable into his salary surely :icon_conf

Lako42

I understand the clubs stance on Campbells wages, but I don't expect the likes of Ulloa and what they're offering Deeney will exactly be poor in the wages department. The £7m they'd save in transfer fees on Campbell must be negotiable into his salary surely :icon_conf

This

Volpone

Still anxious that we're not bidding for any defenders and instead we're bidding for Troy fecking Deeney.

Buying all the strikers in the Championship won't help us if we start the season with the current defence.

I have to disagree. You need to score goals in the Prem to survive. The teams that have a reasonable defence but don't score enough goals get relegated.

jb5000

I have to disagree. You need to score goals in the Prem to survive. The teams that have a reasonable defence but don't score enough goals get relegated.
Didn't crystal palace have a comparable defensive record with Liverpool last season?

Lako42

You have to score more goals than normal if you can't defend.

I think

Profondo Rosso

Last season the 3 teams who went down were the 3 teams who conceded the most.
The season before that the 2 teams who conceded the most were relegated.
The season before 3 teams who went down were the 3 teams who conceded the most.

To put it in simpler terms, of the 3 worst defences in the last 3 seasons only Aston Villa haven't been relegated an that was basically solely down to Benteke's goals.

Now if we can find a player as good as Benteke was that season from the bunch of Championship strikers we are bidding for you may have a point, but something tells me Troy Deeney won't be one of the Premier League's top scorers next season.

FryattFox

To put it in simpler terms, of the 3 worst defences in the last 3 seasons only Aston Villa haven't been relegated an that was basically solely down to Benteke's goals.

Now if we can find a player as good as Benteke was that season from the bunch of Championship strikers we are bidding for you may have a point, but something tells me Troy Deeney won't be one of the Premier League's top scorers next season.

Good post.

But I'm also sure that NP/SW are both well aware and working on the current situation.

ThaiSweetChilli

The issue with Campbell isn't the total outlay including wages and transfer fees. It's how much he gets paid per week. This amount, if it is more/significantly more than the current players may unbalance the team. So yes, £7m plus wages for Deeney is going to cost more overall but with Troy's wages likely to be less he won't be unbalancing the team.

Unless the team get arsey about transfer amounts - which is some balls-deep crap.

Volpone

Good reply. Well researched.

Polar Bear

The last time we were in the Prem we had three excellent strikers, but couldn't defend, and we went down.

I'm wondering if they're thinking of playing five at the back. Moore-Morgan-Wasilewski/Upson seems a lot more secure than any two of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669