The expectations thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pork pie fox

Let's just say, it wasn't us that won the league last year. Let's just say, it was a similar sized club, like, say, Southampton.

If they had three standout players (yes, I know we think we have more, but the reality is that we have three), would you expect them to hold onto them?

This isn't designed to discuss Vardy, Kante and Mahrez, it's more a point of expectations.

If Southampton (in this example) had won the league, and had three players who stood out as much as our heralded trio, I wouldn't expect them to hold onto them.

Therefore, I wouldn't be surprised if we lost all three. I'll be delighted if we hold onto any of them, but in reality, this is how I see it. It's far too easy to look at our situation through blue tinted specs, when you remove them, is it really that surprising?

If you're going to ask difficult questions like that at this time of day, I can only wish that it was Southampton that had won the League and it was their fans who were being asked to come up with an answer.

Personally I still haven't forgiven Derek Dougan for preferring to play his football at Molyneux.

Not a surprise for me. What I don't like though is players doing the whole PR shit of "why would I leave" and all that then jumping at the first available window. Will be interesting to see how I react if such a thing happens.

I think it's impossible to speculate as no team has ever been in this situation before. Truly exceptional circumstances for the club, fans and players.

I do think it's fair to ask why those players would leave the champions of England, entering Pot 1 of the Champions League and with money, apparently, to burn.

There are clubs I consider too good to turn down...but to be honest, none of them are in England.

I think it's fair to be disappointed if Kante ends up at, say, Chelsea. PSG? A different story.

If you're going to ask difficult questions like that at this time of day, I can only wish that it was Southampton that had won the League and it was their fans who were being asked to come up with an answer.

Personally I still haven't forgiven Derek Dougan for preferring to play his football at Molyneux.
Yep. Difficult question. And I've been drinking, too.

I think it's impossible to speculate as no team has ever been in this situation before. Truly exceptional circumstances for the club, fans and players.

I do think it's fair to ask why those players would leave the champions of England, entering Pot 1 of the Champions League and with money, apparently, to burn.

There are clubs I consider too good to turn down...but to be honest, none of them are in England.

I think it's fair to be disappointed if Kante ends up at, say, Chelsea. PSG? A different story.
I agree it's a unique position, but that's what we find ourselves in. Without the bias of the team that we support, that's the point of the thread.

Did Blackburn keep their best players when they won it?

Idiot wife woke me, so here's a post of David proportions:

It's inevitable that average players will feel push of exceptional circumstance.

Our "Band of Brothers" [tm] contains diverse characters who will have spent the last weeks of the season, and the first weeks of summer, being told how damn important their contribution was and how much they could make from it. The ones with a firm grip on their place in life (like Kasper) or unlikely to be offered anything (Wes) have the maturity to take it in their stride. They'll not move on.

But the rest have agents, greedy mates and assorted pointless flotsam pouring poison into their ears. They don't care for loyalty or club. "You deserve better", "you'll never get this chance again"...and they're correct. These are going to be once in a career offers because the chance is none of them will ever repeat this season's form.

They can't repeat this season's form because they're no longer the band of brothers. Jealousy, greed, pomposity - egos will bring it crashing down. And that's why a turnover is a good thing...and I believe Ranieri knows it as SAF always knew it. To lose all three would be painful but, I believe, nothing worse than an aggressive pruning.

If money or a prestigious club name is important to a player then he is no longer motivated to prove himself, he believes he's already done it and deserves something else. Ergo, he's not the one who fought this season. Billy Bigbollocks who buy into their own hype.

Not only do I think we can't hold onto all three, I don't believe we should if their attitude becomes suspect. And Vardy's now is. He had the opportunity to dismiss the talk, to pledge allegiance to his team mates - but the silence says it all. I don't blame him, it's just the way it is. My improved contract offer would be an envelope containing a London A-Z and a Chas & Dave greatest hits CD.

The band of brothers is dead, long live LCFC.

I just don't want Vardy and Mahrez ending up at Arsenal together. Everything else I am willing to accept but not that

Much of the issue here is that the club have budgeted to finish 10th next season. Whilst that's all well and good and very frugal and sensible and all that, it doesn't really whet the appetite of our better players.

There's also plans afoot to move to and build a new £50M training facility and stick another 10,000 seats above the east stand. Again, all very commendable and probably a smart move long term, however it's damaging our ability to compete financially for players existing and new.

Much of the issue here is that the club have budgeted to finish 10th next season. Whilst that's all well and good and very frugal and sensible and all that, it doesn't really whet the appetite of our better players.

There's also plans afoot to move to and build a new £50M training facility and stick another 10,000 seats above the east stand. Again, all very commendable and probably a smart move long term, however it's damaging our ability to compete financially for players existing and new.

When was that mentioned by Top? And what is wrong with our current state of the art training facility?

I've no idea, I don't think it has been mentioned publicly. I think the perceived wisdom is the existing facility at Belvior drive is under 50% big enough for modern requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566