Speculation The hysterical and annoying, but traditional, totally unfounded summer 2021 rumours thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad we've not lost anyone but right now it doesn't feel like we've bought anyone to improve. I keep telling myself that the Kante twins didn't make an impact or start until a few games in.....maybe soumare and daka just need to settle in first. Lookman signing is baffling, cover for Barnes/Perez? **** knows? Maybe Ted weighs the same as a duck or has bought some top notch turd polish.
When we brought Kante in it was far easier to improve the squad. Plus he was a freak / exception to the rule. Now we already have top class players so to improve it is far more difficult. I think the new players will need time. Whether they get it will be up to us the fans and the management team.

When we brought Kante in it was far easier to improve the squad. Plus he was a freak / exception to the rule. Now we already have top class players so to improve it is far more difficult. I think the new players will need time. Whether they get it will be up to us the fans and the management team.
Completely agree with this. We haven't got the TV revenue yet nor the revenue from the enormous fanbase that the legacy top six have - we cannot spend 400k a week on wages or whatever ridiculous sum Ronaldo is going to be on.
I think we've signed some interesting players in this window but as others have said, we haven't seen much from them yet. The opportunity to be blended into a squad is minimal when a club has bought you for a lot - it's much easier to manage if you were a free or a cheaper buy.

I am hopeful - I think they'll work out, bar Lookman which I'm not convinced by.
Fingers crossed I'm wrong!

We’ve signed players who are sitting on our bench because they’re not as good as our starting 11, yet we still have Ayoze Perez starting every week.

Not good enough.

We’ve signed players who are sitting on our bench because they’re not as good as our starting 11, yet we still have Ayoze Perez starting every week.

Not good enough.
We’ve played three games.

Not good enough.
Has someone shit in your car CF? You seem very worked up.

Rodgers and the recruitment team are clearly trying to improve the quality of the squad overall, and for my money we have.

Even if you disregard the new signings we haven’t sold any valuable asset and this is the first window for 4-5 seasons that we haven’t. This alone is an improvement surely?

I'd give this transfer window a 7/10

I think we've added strength in depth and possibly even rotation options in a few positions.

Daka looks a very exciting player and a mid-to-long term Vardy replacement.

Soumare gives us a different type of midfielder and some added strength in that area, and an additional player that can carry the ball forward and help that transition play.

Vestergaard is experienced cover in defence, and maybe the replacement for Evans after this season.

Bertrand I think is a very good signing, adds extra experience to the team and probably is the only one who goes straight into the first team (or will when fit). Whether he stays there when Justin is back who knows, but I think either way he will play an important role this season.

Lookman. Meh. I'm not convinced, but hopefully he will prove me wrong. But I don't see him being much more involved than Ünder was last year (at least first half of season Ünder) and I think is more a case of adding another option in that area rather than the top class improvement we needed.

The jury is definitely out on Soumare, Daka and Lookman, but on paper the first two look like very good signings.

We also kept all our key players for the first time in a long time and that is huge in itself.

What let's us down is that we haven't improved the first XI. That's hard to do. We have a very good team and not huge budgets. But where we really really needed to improve was a quality right winger who would command a first team slot and add creativity and a spark to this team. I think we've failed there, and it will likely ultimately cost us enough games to make us fall just short of where we want to be again.

In short, I think we had two key jobs to do this summer:
1. Add strength in depth and quality, viable rotation options. Too early to know, but I think we have done that
2. Add a first choice, top quality right winger who would add creativity and another dimension to the team. Not done.

We’ve played three games.
And Ayoze Perez started those he was available for.

RW should have been number one priority, and not resulting in a deadline day desperation loan signing.

Improve your starting 11, and that will then lead to an improvement in your squad players.

We’ve just improved our squad players. We haven’t improved the starting 11 one iota.

I think we’ve done fine.

Daka and Soumare are going too be excellent additions. Vestergaard a necessary signing. Lookman, admittedly a punt.

However, I don’t think we’ve done enough to trouble the top 4 and as a result I think next summer is lined up to be an extremely difficult one.

I wonder if our hand was forced by the injury to Fofana? In an ideal world, we'd have spent money on a right winger and signed a centre back on loan, in theory to target a better player in the position of most need. Fofana's injury, however, may have caused a rethink on that.

Just rambling, really.

I wonder if our hand was forced by the injury to Fofana? In an ideal world, we'd have spent money on a right winger and signed a centre back on loan, in theory to target a better player in the position of most need. Fofana's injury, however, may have caused a rethink on that.

Just rambling, really.
I also wonder if the plan would have been to strengthen RW if the Maddison to Arsenal deal had happened. We usually sell one top player to buy two top players but this summer we've sold 0.

However, I don’t think we’ve done enough to trouble the top 4 and as a result I think next summer is lined up to be an extremely difficult one.
This is why we need to try and win the Europa league. Not only would we get into the CL but we'd have another trophy. Unfortunately I don't think Rodgers cares about it whatsoever

Just rambling, really.
100% the reality

Wolves turned down 30m for Traore because he's apparently worth 50m. That's the market value for wingers right now, it seems. Fecking mental.

50m or 30m for Traore? Barnes must be worth a trillion or more?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566