Speculation The hysterical and annoying, but traditional, totally unfounded summer 2022 rumours thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
He also said that Rodgers was on Barcelona's short list just before Koeman got the boot; then he said Rodgers was going to Man. City when Pep leaves, then it was a toss up between him and Ten Haag for the United job and after that he repeated that Rodgers is lined up for the Man. City job (even said it had been agreed). The bloke is a clown.
Was the only person that believed those rumours, BR himself?

I can't remember feeling so disappointed, deflated and disillusioned before any other season.
How the hell are we in this mess?
How come we are the only club in this state?
Is it FFP? Perhaps someone can explain.
Is it because we are completely skint?
I foresee a real relegation struggle from day one if we have to sell either of Maddison, Fofana or Barnes.

We are being sensible. We aren't spending money that may lead to us falling foul of FFP or put us in an untenable position in the future. It really doesn't mean we are in any trouble financially despite some of the bed wetting panic, it's more an intention not to get us into such a state.

Some of the absolute shit that clubs have signed this window makes me think we are doing exactly the right thing. Everton have just paid £20m for a winger who got zero goals and one assist in 38 games last season. Leeds raked in £100m selling their only two decent players and bought in Brenden Aaronson, Rasmus Kristensen, Marc Roca, Tyler Adams and Luis Sinisterra, none of who spark any excitement or envy whatsoever or who are even a tenth as good as the two that have left. Wolves have signed one shite player from Burnley. Newcastle have a squillion quid and have signed a guy from Galway United, an overrated Nick Pope, Matt Targett who Villa fans couldn't wait to get shot of, Botman and a guy from Kilmarnock. Forest have signed anyone with 2 legs. West Ham signed Aguerd, Areola, a kid from Coleraine, Downes from Swansea and Scammacca. Again, nothing there that I think would challenge our starting eleven. I could go on.

My point is that, aside from the obvious in Manchester City, Manchester United, Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs and Arsenal (and I will add Villa to that list who have had an excellent window) I look at the signings of other clubs and I'm really struggling for any players that would have improved us or who will make a massive impact for their new clubs.

Yes, we need to strengthen when we can but I don't see us being behind any of the clubs who finished below us last season and I don't see the need to take financial risks when the rest of the league barring seven or so clubs aren't making any ground on us in terms of quality.

Even if the absolute worst case scenario happened with us losing Fofana or Maddison (it almost certainly won't be both) I still think we have enough quality, looking at the rest of the squads in the league, to finish above at least half of them, easily.

Relegation really, really isn't something you or anyone else should be even close to worrying about.

Last edited:
We are being sensible. We aren't spending money that may lead to us falling foul of FFP or put us in an untenable position in the future. It really doesn't mean we are in any trouble financially despite some of the bed wetting panic, it's more an intention not to get us into such a state.

Some of the absolute shit that clubs have signed this window makes me think we are doing exactly the right thing. Everton have just paid £20m for a winger who got zero goals and one assist in 38 games last season. Leeds raked in £100m selling their only two secent players and bought in Brenden Aaronson, Rasmus Kristensen, Marc Roca, Tyler Adams and Luis Sinisterra, none of who spark any excitement or envy whatsoever or who are even a tenth as good as the two that have left. Wolves have signed one shite player from Burnley. Newcastle have a squillion quid and have signed a guy from Galway United, an overrated Nick Pope, Matt Targett who Villa fans couldn't wait to get shot of, Botman and a guy from Kilmarnock. Forest have signed anyone with 2 legs. West Ham signed Aguerd, Areola, a kid from Coleraine, Downes from Swansea and Scammacca. Again, nothing there that I think would challenge our starting eleven. I could go on.

My point is that, aside from the obvious in Manchester City, Manchester United, Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs and Arsenal (and I will add Villa to that list who have had an excellent window) I look at the signings of other clubs and I'm really struggling for any players that would have improved us or who will make a massive impact for their new clubs.

Yes, we need to strengthen when we can but I don't see us being behind any of the clubs who finished below us last season and I don't see the need to take financial risks when the rest of the league barring seven or so clubs aren't making any ground on us in terms of quality.

Even if the absolute worst case scenario happened with us losing Fofana or Maddison (it almost certainly won't be both) I still think we have enough quality, looking at the rest of the squads in the league, to finish above at least half of them, easily.

Relegation really, really isn't something you or anyone else should be even close to worrying about.
What a good post. Bravo.

Isn't things like stadium expansion and training grounds exempt from FFP ?

Isn't our biggest concern the wage bill don't the rules say you can't go over a certain percentage of earnings towards wages something like 75%
Probably why Kasper is off allegedly.

I'm sure someone will be along soon to enlighten.

He also said that Rodgers was on Barcelona's short list just before Koeman got the boot; then he said Rodgers was going to Man. City when Pep leaves, then it was a toss up between him and Ten Haag for the United job and after that he repeated that Rodgers is lined up for the Man. City job (even said it had been agreed). The bloke is a clown.
Oh I agree mate. I was just being silly.

Isn't our biggest concern the wage bill don't the rules say you can't go over a certain percentage of earnings towards wages something like 75%
Probably why Kasper is off allegedly.

I'm sure someone will be along soon to enlighten.

Think training ground and and stadium don't count. It could be that our wages will break ffp or maybe we spent money on magic beans last summer expecting Youri to go in the summer or January. It could also be that our cash flow isn't great because of these things.

They need to be paid for. We effectively mortgaged the training ground against our TV revenue. This is fine, but it means that we have less income for players and wages.

Some of the absolute shit that clubs have signed this window makes me think we are doing exactly the right thing. Everton have just paid £20m for a winger who got zero goals and one assist in 38 games last season. Leeds raked in £100m selling their only two decent players and bought in Brenden Aaronson, Rasmus Kristensen, Marc Roca, Tyler Adams and Luis Sinisterra, none of who spark any excitement or envy whatsoever or who are even a tenth as good as the two that have left. Wolves have signed one shite player from Burnley. Newcastle have a squillion quid and have signed a guy from Galway United, an overrated Nick Pope, Matt Targett who Villa fans couldn't wait to get shot of, Botman and a guy from Kilmarnock. Forest have signed anyone with 2 legs. West Ham signed Aguerd, Areola, a kid from Coleraine, Downes from Swansea and Scammacca. Again, nothing there that I think would challenge our starting eleven. I could go on.

Great post ****.

They need to be paid for. We effectively mortgaged the training ground against our TV revenue. This is fine, but it means that we have less income for players and wages.
So what? I would sooner invest in infrastructure that has longevity and will be a legacy for years to come.

As others have said (you included I believe), only buy a player if he improvs the 11, if not, retain if possible and wait.

Which is utter bollocks. The training ground will have a profound effect on the young players that we produce at the club. It will also without doubt attract better players.
Yeah it has worked well for the young players so far. None of them could even get a spot on the bench at the end of the season.

And the second part is also utter bollocks. It can’t even attract the players we have to stay.

If we remain with a bloated squad after the transfer window closes can we redraft contracts with the excess squad players that would allow their wages to be removed from ffp consideration?
Could the be designated a role that was exempt from the ffp wage bill?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566