Speculation The hysterically annoying, and totally unfounded, but traditional, January 2024 rumours thread.

Is now a good time to say that I think this is for the best?

We didn't need him. He's horribly injury prone and we clearly cannot afford to recruit.

Maybe the whole facade was purely designed to make our manager think that we were trying to do as he'd requested?

Wouldn't be the first time.
It doesn't detract from the incompetence we appear to have shown, but I have wondered this myself too.

It also doesn't make us an attractive club to deal with in the future either.
Yes, agree, although the football world is very fickle, so if the money adds up then it probably won't make that much of a difference.

Football is silly isn’t it. How has it arrived at this point. How are we in a place where player transfers are tens of millions, and wages are hundreds of thousands each week. It’s nuts. They kick a ball. That’s it.

My wife is a surgeon. She operates entirely on cancer patients. Long days. Often thankless. She is old school. She won’t leave the building until she is sure the patient is safe. A good day is saving someone. A bad day someone dies. She gets paid in my view a ridiculously low amount for this. She has utterly no time for footballers and their trivial woes.

I’m a lawyer. I have watched over the past 15 years as the court system has fallen to bits from lack of funding. It always costs the client and it isn’t fair.

How and why does our society value unsustainable (often corrupt) spending on a child’s game when our infrastructure and public services are falling to bits. I don’t get it.

Fair enough from Enzo, no?

Yeah.

As I've said many times, I think it's wrong that the club don't comment on anything and expect the manager to field every sort of question.

That policy ruined things with BR because the club made him look like a fool. They're now doing the same with EM.

This is clearly a decision that had nothing to do with EM. It may be the right decision but we'll never know because people like Rudkin and Whelan are gutless.

Yeah.

As I've said many times, I think it's wrong that the club don't comment on anything and expect the manager to field every sort of question.

That policy ruined things with BR because the club made him look like a fool. They're now doing the same with EM.

This is clearly a decision that had nothing to do with EM. It may be the right decision but we'll never know because people like Rudkin and Whelan are gutless.
It's really disappointing to be honest. I find it so frustrating when incompetent people keep senior roles.

As I said before, he's right to be annoyed as he is doing his job with the players available.

Another midfielder or 2, plus a winger and we'd smash the rest of the season and have cover in case of injuries.

Other people are not doing their jobs in getting the players out the door but it's obviously easy said than done which points to us being in a very precarious position with regards to finances/FFP.

We should have done better though as even if we managed to find some idiot to want Danny Ward, we'd be better off covering half of his wages for the rest of his time here and allowing him to leave, rather than keeping him here and paying him his full wages for nothing.

We should have done better though as even if we managed to find some idiot to want Danny Ward, we'd be better off covering half of his wages for the rest of his time here and allowing him to leave, rather than keeping him here and paying him his full wages for nothing.

It's more complex than that. That's exactly the sort of thing you'd want someone like Rudkin to explain.

Ward was bought for £12m or so. We book this outlay in chunks across the length of his contract. He signed a new deal a couple of years ago so we'd have done the same again then. Therefore, even offering him out for nothing and paying half his wages would cost us whatever we've not included in our accounts yet. That could still be a couple of million which we clearly cannot afford to record as a loss right now.

We are literally stuck with a lot of players.

It's more complex than that. That's exactly the sort of thing you'd want someone like Rudkin to explain.

Ward was bought for £12m or so. We book this outlay in chunks across the length of his contract. He signed a new deal a couple of years ago so we'd have done the same again then. Therefore, even offering him out for nothing and paying half his wages would cost us whatever we've not included in our accounts yet. That could still be a couple of million which we clearly cannot afford to record as a loss right now.

We are literally stuck with a lot of players.

Yeah but he's in the final 6 months of his contract now so there won't be much of a transfer fee left on the books to amortised.

Thats on top of 60-80% of the original transfer being amortised over his original contract - we wouldn't have expected him to be here for 10 years to begin with so those first 3-4 years would have written off at least 60% of the original transfer.

We could definitely offloaded some players with a bit of creativity but I believe we have been looking to make a profit on our transfers, rather than just covering costs.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669
9Coventry City4664
10Preston 4663