Speculation The hysterically annoying, and totally unfounded, but traditional, January 2024 rumours thread.

So, the hinges have been oiled and the transfer window has creaked open. Who is going to be climbing in and who will be chucked out of the window?

Retaining players is as important, if not more important than signing new ones.

Any player with a braincell will realise that we're heading back to the promise land, so ideally nobody should want to leave unless it's because of lack of game time etc.

I'd get rid of Danny Ward though.

I have plenty of time for Jordan Blackwell. Here he puts forward 7 names that may not be here at the end of January - Iversen, Ward, Souttar, Praet, Ndidi, Iheanacho and Daka. EM appears to be open to there being quite a few squad changes and I'd strongly support this.

I think the 7 named are all pretty obvious candidates and I'd not shed a tear about the loss of any of them.

It made me think about those I'd be happy to be part of our PL squad next season and I could only come up with a surprisingly short list. Hermansen, Justin, Ricardo, Winks, Dewsbury-Hall, Mavididi, Fatawu (loan to permanent) and Cannon.

There is so much to do in the summer that we really ought to get on with it. We might be stuck with Casadei and Akgun but, if not, is there much point in keeping them if we can try to do better? Thomas, Kristiansen and Soumare obviously don't fit the system. Vestergaard, Albrighton and Vardy would be pointless next season.

I have plenty of time for Jordan Blackwell. Here he puts forward 7 names that may not be here at the end of January - Iversen, Ward, Souttar, Praet, Ndidi, Iheanacho and Daka. EM appears to be open to there being quite a few squad changes and I'd strongly support this.

I think the 7 named are all pretty obvious candidates and I'd not shed a tear about the loss of any of them.

It made me think about those I'd be happy to be part of our PL squad next season and I could only come up with a surprisingly short list. Hermansen, Justin, Ricardo, Winks, Dewsbury-Hall, Mavididi, Fatawu (loan to permanent) and Cannon.

There is so much to do in the summer that we really ought to get on with it. We might be stuck with Casadei and Akgun but, if not, is there much point in keeping them if we can try to do better? Thomas, Kristiansen and Soumare obviously don't fit the system. Vestergaard, Albrighton and Vardy would be pointless next season.

I had this thought a few days ago and nearly started a new thread on it. I don’t want to assume anything, but given our position, it’s not unreasonable to start proper planning on our squad for next season and the question of “who’s good enough for next year” was the first thing I thought about.

I had this thought a few days ago and nearly started a new thread on it. I don’t want to assume anything, but given our position, it’s not unreasonable to start proper planning on our squad for next season and the question of “who’s good enough for next year” was the first thing I thought about.

Our odds on getting promoted are 1/50 but they may as well be 1/5000.

Being so certain about where we'll be playing next season gives us such an advantage this month if we're smart about it.

I’d be gutted to lose Ndidi.

Mads
Ricardo
Faes
New CB
Justin
Winks
KDH
Ndidi (or replacement )
Mavididi
Fatawu
Cannon

That’s as good a team as a number of those in the bottom half of the Premier League imo - but an upgrade on one or two of those players would be nice (e.g. Cannon looks ok, but I reckon that we desperately need a very good striker)

We don’t have anything much as back up, though - Mcateer, maybe, and I still think Choudhury and Vestergaard are acceptable wider squad players - but that’s about it

We need at least five or six very decent players. If we can get one or two now, that’s great - but pretty sure we’ll do most business in the summer

I really hope we sign Doyle and Fatawu on permanent deals in the summer. Or, at least get them both back on loan for next season. I think Doyle fits the system better than Justin.

I wonder what will happen with Vardy? Contract runs until the summer, at which point he’s obviously a free agent. I think I’m right in saying that the last few contract extensions have been sorted before a season has started, so this is obviously different. I realise our circumstances are different this time, so that will affect how things are looked at, but still interesting to see what happens.

I suspect the days of just giving him a contract because of who he is are gone. Big last contract at somewhere like Saudi perhaps, if he can get one?

I wonder what will happen with Vardy? Contract runs until the summer, at which point he’s obviously a free agent. I think I’m right in saying that the last few contract extensions have been sorted before a season has started, so this is obviously different. I realise our circumstances are different this time, so that will affect how things are looked at, but still interesting to see what happens.

I suspect the days of just giving him a contract because of who he is are gone. Big last contract at somewhere like Saudi perhaps, if he can get one?
Probably won’t happen but I’d love us to keep him as a striking coach, a la Kevin Phillips when he joined.

Probably won’t happen but I’d love us to keep him as a striking coach, a la Kevin Phillips when he joined.
I could see something like that, but it depends on whether he wants to play on, I guess. If he does, I suspect he’ll be gone.

Mads
Ricardo
Faes
New CB
Justin
Winks
KDH
Ndidi (or replacement )
Mavididi
Fatawu
Cannon

That’s as good a team as a number of those in the bottom half of the Premier League imo - but an upgrade on one or two of those players would be nice (e.g. Cannon looks ok, but I reckon that we desperately need a very good striker)

We don’t have anything much as back up, though - Mcateer, maybe, and I still think Choudhury and Vestergaard are acceptable wider squad players - but that’s about it

We need at least five or six very decent players. If we can get one or two now, that’s great - but pretty sure we’ll do most business in the summer
Agreed a striker is our number one priority, that is the difference between staying up or being relegated next season. Fatawu and Mavididi may take a bit of time to adjust but I believe they are real quality and will do well with us next season.

I find it hard to know with any certainty how many of these players are going to be sufficient next season, given the league we're playing in. In reality, it's ok playing well this season, but next season we'll be taking this system into the Premier League and hopefully it works, but it won't necessarily do so for all players.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566
9Coventry City4464
10Preston 4463