The Official "Rate Paulo Sousa's Outfit Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
0,,10274~8927143,00.jpg

Picture of the season :icon_bigg

I like the way that Oakley is using his forearm to mimick the size and shape of Hobbsy's massive 'man weapon' in that photo.

I remember last season noticing that the Swansea manager was the best dressed manager we had come to the Walkers. I have noticed some foreign managers speak better English than the English ones e'g' Mourinho and Wenger while others speak worse English - we call them Scotch.

It's probably advisable to not be too sloppy with your own use of English when attempting to deride others for theirs.

I have noticed some foreign managers speak better English than the English ones e'g' Mourinho and Wenger while others speak worse English - we call them Scotch.

After a long and fruitful association with Scotch, I have yet to find one that is capable of speech of any kind. In fact, the more the association, the weaker my powers of speech become. :icon_bigg

After a long and fruitful association with Scotch, I have yet to find one that is capable of speech of any kind. In fact, the more the association, the weaker my powers of speech become. :icon_bigg

Like you I enjoyed of whiskey. I prefer that produced by the Scotch to that produced by the Irish or Americans.

I hope that Macky's correction was not the word Scotch which is a perfectly proper word for the people from Scotland. The favourite writer of the Scotch is Robbie Burns who used the word in preference to the Scots.

The ace of trumps has to lie with that epitome of good behaviour Hudson in Upstairs Downstairs. If my memory is correct when the family are going to Scotland the dialogue was:
Footman: "You'll be pleased Mr Hudson being as you are Scottish."
Mr Hudson: "Scotch, Edward. The word is Scotch."

I realise that this is a long post and nothing to do with football. However, it is always delicious to be corrected when you are right.

I hope that Macky's correction was not the word Scotch which is a perfectly proper word for the people from Scotland.

Not in the dictionary I use:

"—Usage note
The natives of Scotland refer to themselves as Scots or, in the singular, Scot, Scotsman, or Scotswoman. The related adjectives are Scottish or, less commonly, Scots. Scotch as a noun or adjective is objected to except when used of whisky and in established phrases like Scotch egg and Scotch pine. In the United States, Scotch is often used where the Scots themselves, or some Americans of Scottish descent, would prefer Scottish or Scots. The term Scotch-Irish is standard in the United States for the descendants of the Scots of Ulster who immigrated to America beginning in the 18th century. "

"—Usage note
The natives of Scotland refer to themselves as Scots or, in the singular, Scot, Scotsman, or Scotswoman. The related adjectives are Scottish or, less commonly, Scots. Scotch as a noun or adjective is objected to except when used of whisky and in established phrases like Scotch egg and Scotch pine. In the United States, Scotch is often used where the Scots themselves, or some Americans of Scottish descent, would prefer Scottish or Scots. The term Scotch-Irish is standard in the United States for the descendants of the Scots of Ulster who immigrated to America beginning in the 18th century. "

Of course Robbie Burns and Mr Hudson trump any dictionary but:

From YourDictionary.comScotch (skäc̸h)

adjective

of Scotland or its people, language, or culture; Scottish
Origin: contr. < Scottish
noun

1.Scottish
2.whiskey, often having a smoky flavor, distilled in Scotland from malted barley
in full Scotch whisky

From thefreedictionary.com
Scotch (skch)
n.
1. (used with a pl. verb) The people of Scotland.
2. Scots.
3. Scotch whisky.

I once referred to someone as 'scottish' but they thought I said 'scotch' and went mental. They don't like being called Scotch, trust me.

From YourDictionary.com

Did you not notice the link to the usage note on that site?

It says this:

"Scotch is an English contraction of Scottish that came into use in Scotland as well for a time (as in Burns's “O thou, my Muse! guid auld Scotch drink!”) but subsequently fell into disfavor there. In the interest of civility, forms involving Scotch are best avoided in reference to people;"

From http://www.yourdictionary.com/scottish

From YourDictionary.comScotch (skäc̸h)

adjective

of Scotland or its people, language, or culture; Scottish
Origin: contr. < Scottish
noun

1.Scottish
2.whiskey, often having a smoky flavor, distilled in Scotland from malted barley
in full Scotch whisky

From thefreedictionary.com
Scotch (skch)
n.
1. (used with a pl. verb) The people of Scotland.
2. Scots.
3. Scotch whisky.

What do you expect if you rely on American dictionaries?

"—Usage note
You should read a book called The Pedant's Revolt:

"In 1786, Scottish poet Robert Burns wrote: 'Songs in the English language, if by Scotchmen, are admitted, but the music must be all Scotch.' While in 1829, Edinburgh-born novelist and poet Sir Walter Scott wrote in Rob Roy: 'At the first Scotch town which we reached, my guide sought out his friend and counsellor.'

Fowler's Modern English Usage quotes A. J. Aitken as stating: 'For working-class Scots the common form has long been Scotch... and the native form Scots is sometimes regarded as an Anglicized affectation.'"

Perhaps archaic, but not wrong.

You should read a book called The Pedant's Revolt:

"In 1786, Scottish poet Robert Burns wrote: 'Songs in the English language, if by Scotchmen, are admitted, but the music must be all Scotch.' While in 1829, Edinburgh-born novelist and poet Sir Walter Scott wrote in Rob Roy: 'At the first Scotch town which we reached, my guide sought out his friend and counsellor.'

Fowler's Modern English Usage quotes A. J. Aitken as stating: 'For working-class Scots the common form has long been Scotch... and the native form Scots is sometimes regarded as an Anglicized affectation.'"

Seriously, if your in Scotland only use the word Scotch in reference to a drink or you'll die.

I haven't a clue who A.J. Aitken is, but he is very wrong. Call somebody from Scotland 'Scotch' and they will most likely jump up and down on your neck until it snaps, especially the working class Scotch

I haven't a clue who A.J. Aitken is, but he is very wrong. Call somebody from Scotland 'Scotch' and they will most likely jump up and down on your neck until it snaps, especially the working class Scotch

And of course somebody from Southern Ireland would know about these things.
:icon_wink

And of course somebody from Southern Ireland would know about these things.
:icon_wink

After centuries of suffering brutal oppression and imperialism, labels are important to the Celtic brethren

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669