The RIP Thread

Lammie Robertson, one of many unfathomable McLintock signings in the dire relegation season of 1977-78.
Forgotten he ever existed until you posted this, then it all came back. It was my third season as a fan & my introduction to what being a City suppoter was going to be like. Jesus.

Robertson was a ****ing baffling signing. Basically a 3rd & 4th division player for a decade. What the actual **** McLintock thought he'd bring to a first division side is a mystery to this day. The bloke was certifiable.

Despite all the more recent memories of misery under the likes of Holloway, Levein, Megson, Allen et al, I still maintain that McLintock is the worst manager we've ever had & by a distance. He had not one shred of ability as a manager & not a fraction of a clue what he was doing.

Also : Robertson looked like the bass player from a prog rock band

Despite all the more recent memories of misery under the likes of Holloway, Levein, Megson, Allen et al, I still maintain that McLintock is the worst manager we've ever had & by a distance. He had not one shred of ability as a manager & not a fraction of a clue what he was doing.
I'm not sure that I would call McLintock the worst manager we've ever had. You missed Peter Taylor off your comparative list and I would still name him as such. It was more the expectation we had of him as a great former player that led to the frustration. My dad, who you know lived and died as a Boro fan, was excited when his managerial appointment was announced. Having seen him play for City in the years before I moved down to the Midlands, he was convinced that he was the right choice for the job, but most times left Filbert Street shaking his head in horror at the bloke's inaptitude as a manager.

I'm not sure that I would call McLintock the worst manager we've ever had. You missed Peter Taylor off your comparative list and I would still name him as such. It was more the expectation we had of him as a great former player that led to the frustration. My dad, who you know lived and died as a Boro fan, was excited when his managerial appointment was announced. Having seen him play for City in the years before I moved down to the Midlands, he was convinced that he was the right choice for the job, but most times left Filbert Street shaking his head in horror at the bloke's inaptitude as a manager.
Did Frank McLintock have any previous managerial experience prior to City?

If I remember, he was given the manager role as he had been an excellent player, but didn't really know what he was doing as a teams manager.

Also see 'Wayne Rooney'.

Did Frank McLintock have any previous managerial experience prior to City?

If I remember, he was given the manager role as he had been an excellent player, but didn't really know what he was doing as a teams manager.
Nope. He came more or less straight from QPR when he hung up his boots.
Bloomfield had us in the top half (just, iirc) the previous season. McLintock came in and immediately sold Frank Worthington and replaced him with Alan Waddle ffs. This was said to be a favour to Wortho as he was hard up and needed a rise we couldn't afford. He bought other past their sell-by players; George Armstrong, David Webb and others as well as the aforementioned Lammie Robertson. Then less than a year after that top half finish, he ****ed off when relegation was more or less assured. Oh yes, and Roger ****ing Davies. I'm sure there were more others.
Also see 'Wayne Rooney'.
A major difference might be that everybody knew Rooney would be shite. With McLintock there was definite hope.

Bloomfield had us in the top half (just, iirc) the previous season. McLintock came in and immediately sold Frank Worthington and replaced him with Alan Waddle ffs. This was said to be a favour to Wortho as he was hard up and needed a rise we couldn't afford. He bought other past their sell-by players; George Armstrong, David Webb and others as well as the aforementioned Lammie Robertson. Then less than a year after that top half finish, he ****ed off when relegation was more or less assured. Oh yes, and Roger ****ing Davies. I'm sure there were more others.

A major difference might be that everybody knew Rooney would be shite. With McLintock there was definite hope.
Geoff Salmons also?

And Eddie Kelly - I looked that one up!
Signing Kelly was the one & only decent contribution he made to the club. Sling enough against the wall & hope some of it sticks I guess. That list of signings is as horrific as anything Martin Allen came up with. Dark days indeed. I was too young to understand much of it at the time but looking back it's amazing how much everyone wanted Bloomfield gone at the end of that previous season. Good example of not knowing when you're well off I guess.
We finished 7th the year before & a push for europe was fully expected so halfway was a let down. I can't remember exactly & can't be arsed to look it up but I think we finished the season pretty badly with at least one right thumping & the knives were out. Repent at leisure I suppose. We didn't top that 7th place finish for 40 years !! (O'Neill managed 8th I think)

In later years I felt really sorry for Bloomfield. I remember an interview where he expressed his frustration with the City board & their complete lack of ambition. He apparently told them he wanted to sign 3 players in order to turn the top 7 side into title challengers. The board wouldn't have it. The rest is history.

Of course there's no way to know what would actually have happened if he'd been allowed those signings. But the most interesting aspect of it is that one of them was a young Palace winger by the name of Peter Taylor.

Now there's a man who's history with LCFC could have been a fair bit different if Bloomfield had been right !

NOTE: He actually DID eventually sign Taylor. For Orient after he left Spurs. He did very well for them for a couple of seasons.

Alan Waddle ! Jesus. What a complete donkey he was.

The Worthington thing is a great example of how the game has changed isn't it? It was supposedly due to him having to declare personal bankruptcy unless he got both a pay rise & a signing on fee as a lump sum from a new club.

**** me can you imagine that now ? Selling your best player because he's pissed his dosh up the wall & needs some cash ?

Err...tough shit mate ??? Christ.

Bloomfield had us in the top half (just, iirc) the previous season.
I can't remember exactly & can't be arsed to look it up but I think we finished the season pretty badly with at least one right thumping & the knives were out.
I was at the final game of the 76-77 season at an already relegated Spurs and I said to a West Ham supporting friend I was with that Leicester looked like a team that will go down the following year. Forward a few months and we were at QPR (the infamous game where McLintock gave his half time talk on the pitch) and the same mate turned to me and said "You know what you said at Spurs?, well I think you're right."

David Soul : - RIP.

80, dies after a long illness.
Big part of many peoples lives in Starskey and Hutch. Also Salem’s Lot

Etched into my memory for probably an odd reason.

An overheard conversation between the 2 guys who coached the very fist competitive team I ever played for outside of school. Under 13s sunday league.

" It's been the same since the world cup & that ****ing Beckenbauer. Young lads joining up, coming to training thinking defenders are supposed to play football. Took weeks to get that stupid shit out of them last season & it'll probably be the same this time "

The mystery of England's failure to win a tournament in almost 60 years continues.

Annie Nightingale. 83 years old.

Can't believe she was that age. I always enjoyed her enthusiasm on the radio and, in particular, on The OGWT.

Annie Nightingale. 83 years old.

Can't believe she was that age. I always enjoyed her enthusiasm on the radio and, in particular, on The OGWT.
I was actually coming in here to post this myself.

So many memories. & like you it's mostly of OGWT. But in terms of radio she'd have to be the most important voice of the lot apart from Peel in terms of the music she championed. I don't think broadcasters have had that level of influence for a long time & probably never will again.

Yeah, difficult to imagine her as 83 isn't it ? But i think that might be down to not wanting to acknowledge our own age ! Her & Mr Peel were the same age, born only a few months apart.

Her voice was such a part of my growing up it feels like losing someone you actually knew, same as when Peel went. Weird really.

& yes...I fancied the arse off her in the 70s. So there's that.

RIP

Another one who was jabbed and died suddenly. I went school with Lucy Taberer who was one of the first to die from the jab even Dr John Campbell who was firmly pro vax is now speaking out

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Ipswich4492
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4569
8Middlesbro4566
9Coventry City4464
10Preston 4463