The slow death of the FA Cup

Premier league don’t enter the cup until the 3rd round, so I can’t understand the blanket ban.

I do like that FA cup only Saturdays are coming back, but I think the cup final should be the last domestic game at 3 pm on a Saturday

Premier league don’t enter the cup until the 3rd round, so I can’t understand the blanket ban.
Perhaps the plan is to get the 3rd round in before Christmas. This would only be possible if there were no replays in the first two rounds. This would allow the extra weekend for the 5th round, which apparently is not available now.

I do like that FA cup only Saturdays are coming back, but I think the cup final should be the last domestic game at 3 pm on a Saturday
Saturdays, you say? I see no mention of Saturdays, only of weekends. Games will still be spread from Friday to Monday and at least three of the Saturday games won't be kicking off at 3 o'clock.
And the Cup Final will be played whenever the Premier League and Sky want it to be played.

I'm heartened by the statements I've seen put out by several EFL clubs being very forthright in their oppossition to this - with the rebellion apparently being led by Tranmere, whose chairman used to be chair of the FA. The changes are all terrible and will only benefit the top 5 (and Tottenham). They may also be being rushed in, as the FA must expect an independent regulator to be imposed on them after the next general election, as it's quite clear that nobody has been consulted. Our club is in the sweet spot between 'big club' and 'small club' - I don't expect our club itself will make a statement, but it would be great to see our supporters groups and the crowd itself tomorrow make their view known

Personally, I couldn't give a shit about getting rid of replays.

There is far too much football already.

If the FL have a problem, they could bring them back in for the LC.

Perhaps the plan is to get the 3rd round in before Christmas. This would only be possible if there were no replays in the first two rounds. This would allow the extra weekend for the 5th round, which apparently is not available now.

Saturdays, you say? I see no mention of Saturdays, only of weekends. Games will still be spread from Friday to Monday and at least three of the Saturday games won't be kicking off at 3 o'clock.
And the Cup Final will be played whenever the Premier League and Sky want it to be played.
****s

Personally, I couldn't give a shit about getting rid of replays.

There is far too much football already.

If the FL have a problem, they could bring them back in for the LC.
It's not just you Brown Nose, but this is why football is broken. To many people following clubs not at the top table, nor ever likely to be, looking out for their club rather than for the whole system of clubs below them that put their club in the position it holds

Spoken by someone following a team in the top 2 divisions

It's no argument if lower league clubs need the lottery nature of replays for financial support. How often does your average League Two side get a 'bumper' pay day? Maybe once every decade.

There is absolutely a conversation to be had on how money is distributed down the leagues and I'm all in favour of the spread being more equitable.

If everyone agreed to cut the size of the leagues and drop the LC, we can have as many FA Cup replays as you like. They won't of course.

https://www.carlisleunited.co.uk/ne...ondemn-fa-and-premier-league-deal-for-fa-cup/

Carlisle United condemns the decision taken by The FA and the Premier League to change the format of the Emirates FA Cup from next season.

It is absolutely disgraceful that such fundamental changes to the format of the FA Cup have been made in this way.

Carlisle United were not consulted at any time leading up to the decision, and as far as can be ascertained, neither were other clubs in the EFL.

The FA Cup, with its giant-killing history, represents the best opportunity for many clubs to create life-long memories for supporters, and it is also a hugely important source of income. It has now been degraded in this ‘deal’ with the Premier League.

The decision was not even relayed to our FA Council representative until 15 minutes prior to its general release. We were not informed by the EFL, despite the FA media release saying it was approved by the FA Board and FA Professional Game Board. There are serious questions to be answered about what has taken place here.

The total lack of respect for the football pyramid, the vast number of participants in the FA Cup and its fans is plain.

The FA say ‘Football is For All’ and as such, so many clubs and fans should not be treated like this.

We call on the FA to suspend the decision immediately and properly consult with the game's stakeholders.

Tranmere:

Tranmere Rovers condemn the disgraceful decision taken by The FA and the Premier League to change the format of the FA Cup, including the scrapping of replays.

There was no consultation with Football League clubs, National League clubs or grassroots clubs to whom the competition represents not only their best opportunity to create life-long memories for supporters but also a hugely important source of income. We also understand that FA Council members were not consulted about the changes.

The decision, and the way it was taken, demonstrate a total lack of respect for the football pyramid and its fans. Football belongs to all of us and decisions should not be taken in back room deals in which only the very wealthiest clubs are allowed to participate. It is yet another eloquent example of the 19th-century governance that means that football simply cannot regulate itself and needs the Independent Football Regulator to have real teeth.

We condemn the changes wholeheartedly and urge The FA to suspend them immediately until all stakeholders in the game are properly consulted.

Peterborough:

Peterborough United Football Club are dismayed at the decision taken by the FA and the Premier League to change the format of the Emirates FA Cup, including the confirmation that replays will be scrapped from the first round proper.

Prior to the release of today’s statement from the FA there had been no recent communication nor consultation with EFL clubs, National League clubs or grassroots clubs who value the competition as a key source of income as well as an opportunity to create lifelong experiences for supporters. The Club believe that the decisions made appear to have placed no importance of the essence of the Emirates FA Cup, in that the competition is famed worldwide as a platform which creates moments of magic that transcend generations.

We believe the Emirates FA Cup achieves this largely down to the existing format and opportunities for David vs Goliath clashes, the promise of a replay is a large part of the dreams which are created and believed in by clubs, players, and fans alike year in year out. Simply creating a cup competition that suits the upper end of the Premier League completely goes against the historic beauty of the competition.

The Club have sought immediate consultation from the EFL and call upon both the governing body and fellow clubs to produce a coordinated response. The power of our voices together should be used to apply the correct pressure to both the FA and the Premier League to retract their decision to avoid a devastating fall out within the football pyramid. Ignoring the major proportion of clubs who these decisions will affect is an incomprehensible methodology for strategy implementation.

We as a Club would urge the FA to suspend any changes immediately until all clubs have been consulted and outcomes can be achieved that support the majority, not the minority, in terms of the competition’s participants.

People at the top not giving a flying **** about people at the bottom

The more they get away with this kind of shit, the more football is destroyed piece by piece by piece

Ridiculous kick off times, the giant fraud of the profit and sustainability rules, ****ing VAR, and now this abomination

Sadly most fans in the top two leagues will just shrug their shoulders and let them get on with it.
Not my problem, guv

It's no argument if lower league clubs need the lottery nature of replays for financial support. How often does your average League Two side get a 'bumper' pay day? Maybe once every decade.
It’s not just one-off matches against the PL big boys that keeps the lights on. A percentage of all gate receipts for FA Cup replays is split between the non-league clubs that reach R1. A further percentage of all receipts from R3 onward are distributed between PL/FL clubs.

It’s not just one-off matches against the PL big boys that keeps the lights on. A percentage of all gate receipts for FA Cup replays is split between the non-league clubs that reach R1. A further percentage of all receipts from R3 onward are distributed between PL/FL clubs.

I'd love to see some of these whining clubs actually tell us how much they calculate the difference to be to them between having FA Cup replays vs. no replays.

If someone did this, the increased funding that has been promised by the FA could be compared to the potential loss.

If they're actually going to be out of pocket, fair enough. I'm not convinced though.

I'd love to see some of these whining clubs actually tell us how much they calculate the difference to be to them between having FA Cup replays vs. no replays.

If someone did this, the increased funding that has been promised by the FA could be compared to the potential loss.

If they're actually going to be out of pocket, fair enough. I'm not convinced though.

It's not just about the money.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566
9Coventry City4564