The Talking Balls Book Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Scarborough's Rate and Review Thread

Tony Parsons - Man and Wife.

5/10.

You can probably tell from this review and the previous, that I'm hardly reading cutting-edge books here. I made a conscious decision when on holiday to read stuff which isn't too challenging. Engaging and absorbing was what I was going for.

This was a book I reached for having finished the four of five I'd taken with me and it was lying the book exchange thing, so I threw in a couple of books and took this one. It had a picture of some Star Wars lego type characters on the cover. That was enough for me.

Parsons is one of those names which is always there or about in WHSmith, in the reviews section of the literature supplement in newspapers etc. Bit of a household name. I'd always thought it was all family orientated, observationalist, middle of the road stuff. Not even holiday reading, a few beers, margaritas, sunshine etc could really lift this out of the mediocrity I expected. I couldn't really pick a massive flaw or anything to dislike here, there just wasn't enough of a plot for me. I find this 'oooh I'm in one relationship but I'd quite like to be in another one.... but lets drag it out over 300 pages' stuff a bit convoluted and dull, especially where there is no clever twist. There is even some sort of bleak overt moral message about not striving to make things better and appreciating what you've got (hard to disagree with that part) but just making do etc (harder to agree with).

Anyway, its all really about conflict I suppose, heart vs head... loveless marriages.... divorces where a spark still exists.... children caught in the middle....

I reckon my other half would like this a lot more than me. Perhaps I just missed the point, but when I got back from hols, I had to MAKE myself finish it. I just didn't care at all what happened.

I've given it five because at times I found myself enjoying Parson's simple (very very simple) style. Its a pretty effortless read, you just don't get much back from it. It's evidently been described as a love letter from a father to his son and really I don't think thats far off at all. As far as is being 'wistful, touching and funny' as the back cover claims, I concur that its wistful (Parsons certainly has wistful in his armoury) but touching and funny? Not from my reading. The cover is quite cool though.

just got back from a two week holiday which involved a of reading:

James Patterson: run for your life 7/10
Dan Brown: deception point 8/10
Bill Bryson: a short history of nearly everything 9/10
Victoria Hislop: The Island (also met her and played an extra in a new greek tv production about the book) 7/10
Dan Wallace: Yes Man 9/10
Ben Goldacre: bad science 7/10

i think that was it

just got back from a two week holiday which involved a of reading:

James Patterson: run for your life 7/10
Dan Brown: deception point 8/10
Bill Bryson: a short history of nearly everything 9/10
Victoria Hislop: The Island (also met her and played an extra in a new greek tv production about the book) 7/10
Dan Wallace: Yes Man 9/10
Ben Goldacre: bad science 7/10

i think that was it

So much better than the film

I liked Join me.

Also found 'friends like these' and his new one 'awkward situations for men' very good. The latter is being made in to a new US sitcom

Yes, but you are gay for Danny Wallace aren't you Scarbs?

Just started a Colin Bateman book called Driving Big Davie. Part of the Dan Starkey series (but the first of the series I have read).

Read his Murphy's Law book after enjoying the tv series and really enjoyed that so looking forward to this one. Although the first few chapters have been about Dan wanking into a cup but very funny so far.

Excellent read, easy to read and real lad lit with a few good laughs thrown in. Basically about a journalist who hooks up with an old friend and ends up going on a fly drive holiday to florida with him where they stumble across an old enemy of one of the guys. Very good, gonna try and pick up some of the other books in the Dan Starkey series now.

I'd always thought it was all I've given it five because at times I found myself enjoying Parson's simple (very very simple) style. Its a pretty effortless read, you just don't get much back from it.

Read three of his a few years ago. Enjoyed the first but your description above is a good way of describing my opinion on the others. And the darth vader picture made me pick it up too

Excellent read, easy to read and real lad lit with a few good laughs thrown in. Basically about a journalist who hooks up with an old friend and ends up going on a fly drive holiday to florida with him where they stumble across an old enemy of one of the guys. Very good, gonna try and pick up some of the other books in the Dan Starkey series now.

I've read most of them, they're all excellent. Great writer is Colin Bateman.

I've read most of them, they're all excellent. Great writer is Colin Bateman.

Cheers Macky, gonna be trawling the charity shops for more.

Now reading 'Cloud Atlas' by David Mitchell (the other one).

Finished this yesterday. Brilliant book. It's made up of six what initially seem unconnected books. You read the first half of one through to five, all of six and the second half of five through to one.

It is excellent.
I would also like to urge every poster on talkingballs to read Bryson's 'Mother Tongue'. Actually I demand it, you illiterate ****wits.

Been meaning to read this for ages as I'm a big Bryson fan. Started it yesterday.

The Silmarillion, been a while since i read it so tohught I would again!

I'm a massive LOTR/Hobbit fan, they are my favourite books and have read them both countless times, but I read Silmarralion when I was about 11 and never dared to even try again :icon_conf

Last edited:
I first tried to read it when I was about 13 and couldn't, all the tragedy and depressing stories were a bit much back then!

Read it a few times since and as much as I adore LotR, it does ramble on a lot whereas The Sil doesn't- probably cos it's loads of stories spread over hundreds/thousands of years!

Bill Bryson's new one about the history of domesticity is also very good. Read it on the plane to Mexico.

Ben Elton's latest - Meltdown. OKish look at the credit crunch. Unfortunately Ben Elton's books seem to get more and more predictable, with the stories basically ripoffs of real-life events with a few of the author's own hobby-horse topics scattered in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669