This week's new signing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thornely in the 13 along with a fit again Matt Boyce

Thornely in the 13 along with a fit again Matt Boyce

Yes - and has speculated - No Jefferson.

I hope Thornely does well - he has of course been playing for the 2's & also Unicorns. But it looks like another case of tryin to use a plaster when more drastic treatment was needed - i.e. 2 ore quality batsmen prior to the season starting. Still its all about financial sustainability - but i think that there could be economies on the coaching/ fitness staff which would have allowed some scope for strengthening the playing squad.

Thornely opened the batting and is holding the innings together 93no 171-5

Thornely fell just short of his century out for 97 199-6 close of play

Yes it must have been a fun packed day for the spectators. Sun shone, fast outfield and a riotous 2 runs per over. Well done Thornely - but would I be uncharacteristically cynical if I suggested that there is a tendency for players to over perform when seeking a contract and underperform when they have got one? How many wickets has Robbie Joseph taken since he got his season long contract?

Yes it must have been a fun packed day for the spectators. Sun shone, fast outfield and a riotous 2 runs per over. Well done Thornely - but would I be uncharacteristically cynical if I suggested that there is a tendency for players to over perform when seeking a contract and underperform when they have got one? How many wickets has Robbie Joseph taken since he got his season long contract?

Maybe we should give them a load of short-term contracts and performance related pay then!

Should we be concerned that Cobby has now gone back to his ways of 2010 and 2011 or is that jumping the gun?

I expect by the time I get to the ground just after midday tomorrow that Glamorgan will be batting, and they will be finding the conditions remarkably comfortable all afternoon. But, then again, they are the bottom side so have similar frailties to us.

Maybe we should give them a load of short-term contracts and performance related pay then!

Should we be concerned that Cobby has now gone back to his ways of 2010 and 2011 or is that jumping the gun?

Performance related pay!! Have you forgotten that there is Minimum Wage Legislation?

Cobb goes for his shots - as a No 5 is supposed to do so he will always be a bit hit and miss. In contrast we have players like Boyce and Du Toit who have been tried plent of the time at the top of the order (1-3) in the four day game and are usually found wanting - lack of technique makes them totally vulnerable to opening attacks and even if someone like Boyce gets in he has inadequate shot selection and will get himself out before producing a big score. As I said the other day I think its a waste of time and money employing a batting coach to address such ingrained defects.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good job Thornely fell short of the century, if he'd succeeded Notts would probably have swooped. 233-6 as I write with White and Mommsen holding the fort well. Glyn may get to see us bat, or alternatively I may just have put the mockers on and we'll be 235 all out.

looks like Glyn's prediction is coming true 271 all out. Glams 150-2 and we've used 6 bowlers already

"Will Jefferson was not able to travel due to an ongoing back problem and the team then lost his usual opening partner as Matthew Boyce suffered an ankle injury after recovering from a back niggle.

Captain Matthew Hoggard also had to drop out due to illness, so Leicestershire made two personnel changes and also had a positional shift from the team that played at Canterbury
"

Quote from Tuesday's Mercury - scars from Canterbury et al?

I didn't stay until the end of the play. Batting has looked a doddle, and that's largely because of the lack of threat in our bowling and the usual Australian class. Joseph's opening spell was terrible, extras were sharing the runs for a long time, and he alone has bowled around 10 no balls.

Buck was solid but didn't look like taking wickets. Wayne White was the only one who looked a threat and deserved his wickets. Thornely had a few overs and did OK actually.

A lovely afternoon in the sunshine and I guess Glam did what you should do in conditions like this, and which we failed miserably to do in the past 3 innings.

Depressing we also batted for 120 overs for just one batting point!

Match drawn :038:

Credit to Thornely, very well done, and Ned. Good positional switch from the County too to put Ned at 3.

there won't be many games this season where 19 different bowlers were used. not sure its sign of strength in depth more of a lack of quality from the two sides

He obviously didn't read the script. He's scored over 220 runs in the match so far.

Has anyone scored more on their Leicestershire debut?

Eckersley's got his century now too.

Anorak alert. Phil Simmons made a 261 IIRC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572