Confirmed Transfer Thomas loaned to Sheffield United

Jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Leicester City Football Club can confirm that defender Luke Thomas will spend the 2023/24 season with Sheffield United, subject to league approval.

The 22-year-old left-back, who has progressed through the ranks of Leicester City’s Academy system, joins Paul Heckingbottom’s team on loan until the end of the campaign.

Thomas has made 85 appearances for the Foxes since his debut in July 2020, which came against the Blades at King Power Stadium, and was also part of the side that lifted the 2021 FA Cup at Wembley.

Sheffield United are next in Premier League action at home to Everton on Saturday 2 September (12:30pm BST kick-off).

Leicester City Football Club can confirm that defender Luke Thomas will spend the 2023/24 season with Sheffield United, subject to league approval.

The 22-year-old left-back, who has progressed through the ranks of Leicester City’s Academy system, joins Paul Heckingbottom’s team on loan until the end of the campaign.

Thomas has made 85 appearances for the Foxes since his debut in July 2020, which came against the Blades at King Power Stadium, and was also part of the side that lifted the 2021 FA Cup at Wembley.

Sheffield United are next in Premier League action at home to Everton on Saturday 2 September (12:30pm BST kick-off).
Not good enough for us, but good enough for a premier league side.
An odd one but if he's not being used it must make more sense.

That is a crazy loan move. I am certain that Sheff Utd will get relegated and he will have a very difficult season.

They play with a back three, don’t they?

Strange signing for them

Meh.

Does anyone know what has happened to Shane Flynn? He's about the same age as Thomas and, in my opinion, a potentially better left back in the few times I've seen him play.

He did make the odd appearance for the first team a couple of years ago but I can't remember the last time I saw him mentioned.

Not really sure it's a good move for anyone but at least it should free up a nice chunk of wages to hopefully see another incoming.

A mid championship team seems like it would have been the best loan move but I'd imagine finding a club that was willing to cover his wages was the most difficult part.

Hopefully he does well as I think there is still potentially a good player there, but I'm not sure another season of getting battered in the PL would be best for him.

Thomas did brilliantly against Salah, the season before last, when we beat them at home. He has shown he has ability on occasions, but not consistently enough. Quite why some feel the need to put him down so much is beyond me. He's a local lad and it's always good to see them do well, so I hope this is a step forward, but it does seem to be a bit of a strange fit.

Chilwell was hounded on here, and rightly so, for some shocking performances early on. After watching this seasons Chelsea, I think he is going to have an excellent season and career.

I don’t think Thomas quite has the attacking ability of Chilwell, but he has time to develop, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see him go on to have a very successful career away from Leicester.

I don't think Thomas is good enough so it's weird to see him take a move upwards.

But I think it's good news for us. Hopefully he gets plenty of game time and can develop in a team where he'll have to do a lot of defending. And then that leaves us with a better player next summer to either reintegrate or sell.

I have a lot of time for Thomas. A lot more than most.

He doesn’t fit our system so the loan makes sense.

Hope he does brilliantly for them.

So do I. It would be lovely to see a Leicester City supporter doing well for this club. But it looks nigh-on impossible under this manager.

For the past couple of seasons many have said this guy could do with a year in the Championship. We’re now in the Championship and he goes out on loan to a Premier League club!

For the past couple of seasons many have said this guy could do with a year in the Championship. We’re now in the Championship and he goes out on loan to a Premier League club!

Many people have also said that he’s complete pony

So getting his wages off the books would be a very sensible move

I have a lot of time for Thomas. A lot more than most.

He doesn’t fit our system so the loan makes sense.

Hope he does brilliantly for them.
I'm with you. He's had some fantastic games for us including the FA Cup Final. He was another victim of pathetic management.

Still, he wasn't going to play here so I'm glad he's gone somewhere and hopefully, he'll do well and either come back renewed or worth a heap of dosh.

Maybe he's a stupid ****?

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4469
8Middlesbro4566
9Coventry City4464