Time changes much...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Profondo Rosso

I agree with you on that respect. I think his is partly due to the fact that we had Naughton and Van Aarnholt, who were much pacier and more attacking full backs than we have now and of course Yakubu up front at this level was a God send. Unfortunately, we cuoldn't entice any of them back this season which meant having to look elsewhere. Peltier and Konchesky are good additions but a little more cautious than what we had last season and we struggled to look for an alternative for Yakubu. We ended up going with Beckford, which again I thought and still feel will come good but has not settled quickly. There are, other factors involved i'm sure but these have contributed as well.

This is true, which is I guess true in general that it's as much the players' mentalities as the manager's as to how attacking or defensive we are. People forget we were the top scorers in the country under NP when we won League One because we had such a good squad for that level, so I wouldn't say NP is an inherently defensive minded manager and SGE an inherently attack minded one. I think both of them were just making the most out of the players they had at the time. Like you say our full-backs this season for one are definitely more defensive minded than they were last season. You also look and think Mills is always going to play long ball, Bamba is always going to run out of defence and Wellens is always going to slow the game down and take his time over his passes really, I don't think a change in manager is going to change that.

You can also look at how much more attacking ManCity are this season compared to last now that they've got more attacking players in. I think sometimes people put too much emphasis on the manager with regards to style of play and think he's the only one who dictates it as if he controls the players like robots, but the players have their own attacking or defensive sensibilities too.

Last edited:

gregs_y2k

This is true, which is I guess true in general that it's as much the players' mentalities as the manager's as to how attacking or defensive we are. People forget we were the top scorers in the country under NP when we won League One because we had such a good squad for that level, so I wouldn't say NP is an inherently defensive minded manager and SGE an inherently attack minded one. I think both of them were just making the most out of the players they had at the time. Like you say our full-backs this season for one are definitely more defensive minded than they were last season.

You can also look at how much more attacking ManCity are this season compared to last now that they've got more attacking players in. I think sometimes people put too much emphasis on the manager with regards to style of play and think he's the only one who dictates it as if he controls the players like robots, but the players have their own attacking or defensive sensibilities too.

WOW we finally agree on something....I need to lie down

Real Sharapova

If anyone seriously thinks we were an attacking force under Sven then they can't have been to many away games this season.

gregs_y2k

If anyone seriously thinks we were an attacking force under Sven then they can't have been to many away games this season.

As soon as Sven was appointed, I said to friends and family that we'll improve at home but our away form won't be fantastic. Very much the case this season with 1 win, 4 draws and 1 defeat. Was consistent though. It was our home form that did for him, too many silly points dropped.

Last edited:

Uncle Connolly

You've really not watched much Championship football have you?

Eh? Since when did Sven's 'playing the pretty stuff' / passing football (although nice on the eye) get three points consistently in this league?

It unfortunately found him out of a job?

Matt_B

Eh? Since when did Sven's 'playing the pretty stuff' / passing football (although nice on the eye) get three points consistently in this league?

It unfortunately found him out of a job?

So that means the only way out of the division is with big physical players? QPR, Newcastle, Swansea and Norwich all played their way out.

Uncle Connolly

So that means the only way out of the division is with big physical players? QPR, Newcastle, Swansea and Norwich all played their way out.

Nope, didn't say that, I'm saying as a league it's incredibly direct and you'll find most teams (especially this year) are finding success with both physical and direct players.

I saw QPR home and away last year and they were probably the most aggressive, combative side I had seen all last season (with of course the talent to move the ball forward quickly).

Norwich exactly the same.

Newcastle simply had vastly superior resources, support, stadium and player talent that year. I could have played in goal for them.

Certainly Swansea played great football, although again they were physical when they needed to be and had very 'direct' players in Sinclair and Dyer.

Redditch Fox

I think it was a difficult call to get rid of Sven - but probably the right one. Changing managers particularly bringing in such a different approach was always likely to cost in short term results and probably made it even less likely we would get promotion this season.

You can only play a style of football which matches with the skills set of the players. It doesn't look as if Sven thought this through too well but to be fair he like us will have been disappointed in the performances of players in critical positions i.e. centre defence: Mills who looks a bit ordinary/ SSL who looked a luxury given that he was not likely to get a regular starting spot and then strikers: Beckford who looks as if he doesnt feel he fits in at Leicester. To be fair Sven evenually sorted the keeper situation and brought in some other useful players.

I think there is too much re-organisation needed to put it all right in the course of the current season. I think its fair to say there is quite a bit of general disillusion now around the club and a lot depends on how expectations can be managed to realistic levels. If they are not then the situation could spiral out of control taking the present management team with it. This would not be a good idea.

Durham Fox

El Dude Brother.
I think it was a difficult call to get rid of Sven - but probably the right one. Changing managers particularly bringing in such a different approach was always likely to cost in short term results and probably made it even less likely we would get promotion this season.

You can only play a style of football which matches with the skills set of the players. It doesn't look as if Sven thought this through too well but to be fair he like us will have been disappointed in the performances of players in critical positions i.e. centre defence: Mills who looks a bit ordinary/ SSL who looked a luxury given that he was not likely to get a regular starting spot and then strikers: Beckford who looks as if he doesnt feel he fits in at Leicester. To be fair Sven evenually sorted the keeper situation and brought in some other useful players.

I think there is too much re-organisation needed to put it all right in the course of the current season. I think its fair to say there is quite a bit of general disillusion now around the club and a lot depends on how expectations can be managed to realistic levels. If they are not then the situation could spiral out of control taking the present management team with it. This would not be a good idea.

Good post. Sums it up for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670