Transfers - Are we being left behind?

The lack of transfer incomings: are we being left behind?

• Yes

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • No

Votes: 21 70.0%

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazzman

As the above and Pearson's interview in the Mockery today, with a lack of transfer activity are we being left behind in our prospects next season?

Wigan and Reading are investing well whilst Forest and possibly even Derby are building decent squads.

Major concerns must be over our lack of full-back cover, a partner for Wes (unless St.Ledger is not one of the disregarded 7 ?) and no midfield steel. Additionally our squad is paper thin.

No we're not as we have a much better base to work from than most. A few extra players would be nice though there is still plenty of time to get them in.

Agree on Derby though unfortunately as I think they could be a bit of a dark horse for next year as I like what they have been doing in slowly building a sustainable, young team that is improving year on year.

In dire need of an extra midfielder and a central defender.

Unless he thinks Wellens and Where's Zak are up to it (they aren't).

Doesn't really matter whether we are or we aren't (and we aren't IMO)

We can't do anything about it, so we will go with what we've got

No news can be good news. Signing players who might be good would be no compensation for losing either Wes or Kasper.

Around this time of year names of mediocre players tend to get mentioned who in the deadly phrase "could do a job for us." Those players can keep a team in the division but will not get promotion.

We need a number of players who are too good for the Championship. Last season Kasper and Wes were clearly too good for the Championship. There was a time when I would have included Wood and might do again. Other members might include King or De Laet. Presumably Schlupp and Knockaert will have matured.

It may be that by the second half of next season Michael Keane will be too good for the Championship. If we are lucky he will be proving it on loan to Leicester.

I was once told that when newspapers ask wild questions: "Did the Industrial Revolution start on Saffron Lane?" "Was Michelangelo an Aylestone man" the response is is usually No. I am happy to believe the answer to this thread is a similar No.

While I, like all City fans would like to see some new faces added to the squad I think if our squad was to stay as it is right now for the entire season we could definitely make the play-offs.

I keep hearing how St. Ledger and Whitbread aren't good enough to partner Wes and I can't agree. I accept that it's an "if" but if either were to stay fit for an entire season I don't think we need a new centre-half. If we have these two, Moore and Wes fit as of the start of the season then we're adequately covered. Of course if SSL was to be sold or we have injuries then we would need cover but I would expect Pearson to dip in to the loan market as is his want.

In Nugent and Wood I think we have (potentially at least) the best striking partnership in the Championship. Again, I accept that behind these two it's a bit, ok very, thin but again I can see loan signings coming in to act as cover. It would be nice to add some midfield steel but if not I think we have enough to certainly more-than compete.

I'm not trying to see things through rose-tinted specs or say that our squad is title winning calibre. I accept it has weaknesses and could do with some additions but what Championship squad doesn't? I just don't think we would be condemned to a really bad season if no additions were made. As M17TT C rightfully points out, "we have a much better base to work from than most."

Doesn't really matter whether we are or we aren't (and we aren't IMO)

We can't do anything about it, so we will go with what we've got

This. We're constrained by FFP (if we're serious about it) and that's it - nothing much we can do except suck it up and hope for the best.

While I, like all City fans would like to see some new faces added to the squad I think if our squad was to stay as it is right now for the entire season we could definitely make the play-offs.

I keep hearing how St. Ledger and Whitbread aren't good enough to partner Wes and I can't agree. I accept that it's an "if" but if either were to stay fit for an entire season I don't think we need a new centre-half. If we have these two, Moore and Wes fit as of the start of the season then we're adequately covered. Of course if SSL was to be sold or we have injuries then we would need cover but I would expect Pearson to dip in to the loan market as is his want.

In Nugent and Wood I think we have (potentially at least) the best striking partnership in the Championship. Again, I accept that behind these two it's a bit, ok very, thin but again I can see loan signings coming in to act as cover. It would be nice to add some midfield steel but if not I think we have enough to certainly more-than compete.

I'm not trying to see things through rose-tinted specs or say that our squad is title winning calibre. I accept it has weaknesses and could do with some additions but what Championship squad doesn't? I just don't think we would be condemned to a really bad season if no additions were made. As M17TT C rightfully points out, "we have a much better base to work from than most."

I agree with almost all that.

The fact is that we are no longer going to spend serious money and are trying to cut back.

Only the clubs with parachute cash can spend big and I think that will rule us out of auto matic promotion - but Pearson has enough in the squad (as it stands) to challenge for a play off place.

That imo is as good as it gets. It was stuffed up twice over last season (in Feb and in the play offs) and there is now a price to pay.

hopefully we, like cardiff last year, will have benefitted from having a settled squad that is gelled and is more than the sum of its parts.

as said, there's lots of 'ifs' around the squad, but if marshall can find his form, if knockaert and schlupp improve on last year as they should do at their age, if the likes of james, de laet, drinkwater, and wood have learned from having a full season of competitive football in the championship last year, if we do improve due to being a settled squad, and if we keep morgan and schmeichel, then we can improve on last year's performance without signing anyone.

hopefully we, like cardiff last year, will have benefitted from having a settled squad that is gelled and is more than the sum of its parts.

as said, there's lots of 'ifs' around the squad, but if marshall can find his form, if knockaert and schlupp improve on last year as they should do at their age, if the likes of james, de laet, drinkwater, and wood have learned from having a full season of competitive football in the championship last year, if we do improve due to being a settled squad, and if we keep morgan and schmeichel, then we can improve on last year's performance without signing anyone.

Well said.

The squad is threadbare in key areas Imo, we will do very well to finish anywhere near the top 6 next season. Wigan will walk the league, and then it's between a whole host of relegated and well built squads, we are indeed being left behind.

Sorry to introduce some facts, but last season we signed Craig Noone, Nicky Maynard, Frazier Campbell, Tommy Smith, Kim Bo Kyung, Matt Connolly and, er, Craig Bellamy. Yes, there was a core of strength, but it was built on with some pretty substantial fire-power.

I don't see that happening here.

Sorry to introduce some facts, but last season we signed Craig Noone, Nicky Maynard, Frazier Campbell, Tommy Smith, Kim Bo Kyung, Matt Connolly and, er, Craig Bellamy. Yes, there was a core of strength, but it was built on with some pretty substantial fire-power.

I don't see that happening here.

I can't see the Thais forking out for them either.

Can't see it.

You're kidding! A proven manager for getting promoted from this league, a good side who play for the badge, and they've signed Grant Holt in the last few days, among various other very decent signings.

I'd have to say Wigan would be my first bet this season.

And previously I've only ever said that after "who will get relegated" which feels odd

You're kidding!
I am not.
A proven manager for getting promoted from this league
Granted Owen Coyle has got one team out of this league but don't forget he also managed to drag another, bigger club down into it.
a good side who play for the badge
A collection of mercenaries who played abysmally for most of last season, minus Maynor Figueroa.
and they've signed Grant Holt in the last few days
Soccerbase tells me he scored eight goals in 34 games last season. I won't worry too much about him.
among various other very decent signings.
Let's have a look. Scott Carson rescued from Turkey. Marc-Antoine Fortuné, the striker who netted twice in 21 last season. James Perch, the defender Newcastle fans generally consider a joke. Thomas Rogne, a Norwegian keeper signed from Celtic. Chris McCann, a run-of-the-mill midfielder from Burnley. Blackpool's equally run-of-the-mill full back Stephen Crainey. Hardly a collection of stars.
I'd have to say Wigan would be my first bet this season.
Save your money. It's not happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570