Tube Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nottingham Fox

I'm off to the match tomorrow and staying at my Aunties house in Dagenham. I am planning on getting the tube from Dagenham Heathway (Zone 5) and will be getting off at Plaistow (Zone 3) for a few pre match drinks. I shall walk to the ground from there.

Last season, without thinking, I just got a day travel card Z1-6 for £10 odd. It's now £12, which I think is excessive for the short journey.

I notice you can get a single between Z3 and Z5 for £1.50, which is perfect for my return journey, but I can't see a Z5-Z3 on the price matrix. Am I just being a nob and it's the same as above, or isn't there such an option for my first journey?

Cheers

They are not generally advertised as they want you to include z1&2.

You can buy 2 singles at the station (you must be in z3-5 to buy it), and the prices are;

£2.40 peak
£1.50 off peak

The above fares are each way. Z3-5 is the same as Z5-3.

Do you have a contactless bank card? If so, you can tap in and out like an oyster card and it will just charge you the minimum cost.

They are not generally advertised as they want you to include z1&2.

You can buy 2 singles at the station (you must be in z3-5 to buy it), and the prices are;

£2.40 peak
£1.50 off peak

The above fares are each way. Z3-5 is the same as Z5-3.

Thanks CF. I thought as much.

Now I just need to make sure Dagenham Heathway has a ticket desk as these singles are not available from the machine?

Do you have a contactless bank card? If so, you can tap in and out like an oyster card and it will just charge you the minimum cost.

You can see the £1.50 fare here: https://tfl.gov.uk/cdn/static/cms/documents/tube-dlr-lo-adult-fares.pdf

That fare is only available if you use an Oyster card, or a contactless debit/credit card (works just like an oyster). It's much more expensive if you buy a paper ticket.

Ah, didn't know about this Contactless thing. Thats perfect. I shall do that instead.

Thanks everyone.

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/contactless?intcmp=8257

I went to London on Wednesday and got a refund of the credit and deposit on my old Oyster card and used my debit card instead. It's just as easy as using Oyster, the same fares, and it automatically caps the cost so you never pay more than you would with a travelcard.
Not as easy getting a refund if for some reason you can't or forget to tap out.

Isn't it just the same, if you register your card on the TFL website?
Not in my experience, Oyster card was refunded fairly quickly, they notified me of the missed tap out. With my credit card it was me who noticed and had to chase them

Not in my experience, Oyster card was refunded fairly quickly, they notified me of the missed tap out. With my credit card it was me who noticed and had to chase them
Surely if you forget to tap out, you learn your lesson and don't do it again?!

...used my debit card instead. It's just as easy as using Oyster

You can't add Senior Railcard discount to a debit card, so if you're over 60 and have a Senior Railcard then Oyster is still your best bet.

Surely if you forget to tap out, you learn your lesson and don't do it again?!
There's two machines at the station when I get back at night, sometimes one's not working and on rare occasions both are out of action

Well I used my Visa Debit contactless card on Saturday and it worked a treat. Checked bank this morning, and £3 debited as expected.

Thanks for the heads up on this, I shall certainly remember for next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669