Academy U18s: City 5 Arsenal 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven

http://www.lcfc.com/page/AcademyNewsArticle/0,,10274~2632074,00.html

City's Under-18s came from behind to win a thrilling contest against Arsenal in the Premier Academy League and continue their excellent run of recent form.

After winning three successive games to close in on the Group 2 leaders, the young Foxes looked in trouble at half-time at Belvoir Drive, as a talented Gunners side forced their way into a 2-0 lead at the break.

But a roaring comeback from City saw them overpower their visitors in the second half.

First-year pro Liam Moore started the fight-back with a well-taken goal shortly after the interval, and then drew the scores level from the penalty spot after Matt Robinson had been fouled in the box.

With the wind in their sails, the Foxes made the most of their dominance and edged in front through Tom Hopper, before a goal from Harry Panayiotou and an own goal left Arsenal reeling at 5-2 down.

The Gunners managed to pull a goal back in the final ten minutes, but they couldn't deny City a fourth straight win, to the delight of Academy Director Jon Rudkin.

He said: "It was a very pleasing morning, particularly in terms of the result, against an Arsenal academy that has always been very strong over the years.

"The response after half-time was really terrific and it was a second-half performance the boys can be really pleased with.

"We obviously conceded three goals, which is always something we will want to look at, especially after keeping a clean sheet at Coventry last week.

"But great credit should go to the players for coming back from 2-0 down to win the game."

Always wonder how more of our products don't break through into the first team when we beat sides like Arsenal every season. I've covered Arsenal's Under-18s all season and they are no mugs (obviously).

Maybe next season will see the likes of Moore and Hopper really get their chance.

Always wonder how more of our products don't break through into the first team when we beat sides like Arsenal every season. I've covered Arsenal's Under-18s all season and they are no mugs (obviously).

Maybe next season will see the likes of Moore and Hopper really get their chance.

Considering that many academies aren't really that prolific in producing talent, I don't think we do too badly really.

Gradel, King, Schlupp and Mattock have all come through in recent years and are playing football at a decent level. It looks like Hopper and Moore could possibly make the step up too

I don't think any club will ever produce a batch like Fergie did at United with Giggs, Scholes etc. If you're lucky you get the odd decent player come through every couple of seasons - all the quality is hoovered up by the big clubs.

Gradel, King, Schlupp and Mattock

Wesolowski, Sheehan & O'Grady are all playing in the league, Matt Piper was unfortunate with injuries and of course Heskey

and others I've probably forgotten

we produce players...but of course it's a matter of luck whether they are Linekers

Yes but of all out academy players only two are playing premiership football. One came through over 15 years ago (Heskey) and the other is about to be relegated (Stearman) and I think is only a bench player.

Not that great IMO.

I believe Arsenal's under 18's are often out on loan at lower league teams and the players in their under 18 team are often younger kids playing up a year or two. I don't have the facts to back this up but this is what someone at their Academy once told me.

I don't know much about who's currently in our youth setup, but its been said before that we have a tendency to pick up big, strong players in our academy. It means they can win at that level because their physicality lets them boss smaller players, but when it comes time to break through then they don't have the technical ability.

That might be unfair on the current crop, but I just know that's what people have put forward as a reason before.

Nice to see them winning though, and hopefully there will be a couple of players in there who make a break for the first team :)

Last edited:
Yes but of all out academy players only two are playing premiership football. One came through over 15 years ago (Heskey) and the other is about to be relegated (Stearman) and I think is only a bench player.

Not that great IMO.

Stearman is definitely a regular in that Wolves side - he's made about 20 appearances so far this season. As I've said though, we're never going to produce players good enough for the Premier League while we're in the Championship. All the real talent gets hoovered up by the clubs in the top division. Just as most academy prospects in the Premier League are only really good enough for the Championship and lower, most academy prospects in the Championship are destined for careers in the lower leagues. Obviously every now and then you get your exceptions like Walcott, Bale, Oxlade-Chamberlain... but players like those are few and far between.

We're much better off doing what we do at the minute - looking in the academies and reserves of teams like Man United to get good Championship players on loan or permanently who aren't getting a look in at their clubs. There are certainly rich pickings to be had if you've got an eye for a player like NP and his staff seem to have. It's a policy that's given us Drinkwater, Marshall, Cleverley, Stockdale, Spearing, Davies, Naughton, Mee, Waghorn... If we'd managed to get the loanees on that list permanently, we'd have the makings of an absolutely incredible side.

Not that great IMO.

my point is that quite a few were "nearly" good players for us

not sure what our "youth team still playing first 11" would look like

hmmm

Heskey, Schlupp, O'Grady
Wesolowski, King, Gradel
Sheehan, Mattock, ?,Stearman
Logan

erm...do we ever produce centre halves?

I believe Arsenal's under 18's are often out on loan at lower league teams and the players in their under 18 team are often younger kids playing up a year or two. I don't have the facts to back this up but this is what someone at their Academy once told me.

The Under-18s are mainly made up of first (16 y/o) and second-year (17 y/o) scholars, yes. Usually make the step up into the reserves around Christmas time, where then they'll usually head off on loan.

Graz's post makes quite a lot of sense to be honest. I watched the highlights of the game and a couple of the goals you could have put down to that. Hopper's goal was an excellent finish but essentially it all came from a huge punt from the goalkeeper.

Considering that many academies aren't really that prolific in producing talent, I don't think we do too badly really.

Gradel, King, Schlupp and Mattock have all come through in recent years and are playing football at a decent level. It looks like Hopper and Moore could possibly make the step up too

I don't think any club will ever produce a batch like Fergie did at United with Giggs, Scholes etc. If you're lucky you get the odd decent player come through every couple of seasons - all the quality is hoovered up by the big clubs.

I disagree.

On a Championship forum a while back, we did a thread on teams' best xi of players they produced through their academy in the past 15 years.

Ours was absolutely dire and one of the worst teams there.

Compared to the likes of Middlesbrough, Southampton, Crystal Palace and Watford, who could all make pretty much an xi of players currently in the Prem or the Championship, whereas we had Richard Stearman, Max Gradel, Joe Mattock and then a load of lower league players. The quality of players we have produced in recent years compared to other Championship clubs has been very poor.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570